THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rigby Best Quality Rising Bite Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby Best Quality Rising Bite Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This is why I need to restock this rifle:

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Great purchase. Ask Aaron if he can work the stock and make a splinter forend. As stated there is a lot of fine work in the build.

Send it over to Zambia and I will test it for a season!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
This is why I need to restock this rifle:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought so, too, Todd. tu2

I have discussed this project with four eminent stockmakers/metalsmiths.

Today, one of these select four, a widely renowned custom gun maker and restorer, and member of the ACGG, and a great guy, agreed to take it on. His work is uniformly impeccable, truly top notch, and he works relatively quickly.

Nothing like this gets done quickly, only relatively quickly, and the times quoted, because of press of business, went as long as 3.5 years.

If I'm lucky, I'll get this job done in two years, plus or minus.

I am very happy, and will keep you posted.

Andrew, after it's done, maybe I'll bring it over for a test drive. Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, please keep all of us posted on the progress. Hopefully we will all still be alive to see pics of the finished project. tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not send it back to the UK and get it done
By the best guys in the business?
Could even have case colours renewed bey St Ledger if the metal is up to it.

I say this because my hunting buddy sent his exceptional Rigby 450 to the guys at WR whom did an outstanding job.
They did all timber, recut the engraving, re did case colour and reblacked the barrels.

It was an absolute stunner when finished.

I’m doing the same thing with my WR 425 , getting restock barrel black case colours etc.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WR500:

I say this because my hunting buddy sent his exceptional Rigby 450 to the guys at WR whom did an outstanding job.
They did all timber, recut the engraving, re did case colour and reblacked the barrels.

I’m doing the same thing with my WR 425 , getting restock barrel black case colours etc.

I did look into this.

Multiple reasons not to do it.

1. Too much red tape and needless cost on export/import and shipping and insurance.
2. Not even a response from Westley Richards. None.
3. Way more time. About 3-3.5 years for a new Rigby rising bite .470. And new work always takes precedence over repair work (just me, not necessarily official policy).
4. Cost far, far, far, etc., exceeds benefit. In other words, equal or better quality for far, far, far, etc. less cost, right here in the USA.
5. Re-casing a rising bite receiver is like playing Russian roulette. Warping is too great a risk. I like the patina, and would never run that risk on a vintage rifle like this one.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by WR500:

I did look into this.

Multiple reasons not to do it.

1. Too much red tape and needless cost on export/import and shipping and insurance.
2. Not even a response from Westley Richards. None.
3. Way more time. About 3-3.5 years for a new Rigby rising bite .470. And new work always takes precedence over repair work (just me, not necessarily official policy).
4. Cost far, far, far, etc., exceeds benefit. In other words, equal or better quality for far, far, far, etc. less cost, right here in the USA.
5. Re-casing a rising bite receiver is like playing Russian roulette. Warping is too great a risk. I like the patina, and would never run that risk on a vintage rifle like this one.

100% on #5. Patina is hard earned and it makes no sense to me to renew a rifle you intend to use only to put the patina back on it. I had the pleasure of handling Tony Seth-smiths Rigby 450 (Sackville address - same as yours ?) and seeing all that worn blueing on the barrels and sidelocks told a wonderful story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this rifle has the 43 Sackville St. London address on the barrel rib.

Which brings me to a question about some other markings on this rifle.

Does anyone know what the gothic "R.H" and, to me, anyway, indecipherable stampings on the barrels mean? They can be seen on the right in this picture.

They don't seem to be proof marks, at least not British proof marks, but I could be wrong.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The crowns over letters and arm holding the sword thing are London proof marks. The RH is (I am. 99 44/100% sure) the double- R Rigby stamp. It says Trade Mark, so that would infer the “brand” = Rigby.

Sorry - just seeing the far right ones…lemme think…

Ok I’m back, the squiggles are a rampant lion over the script letter G. Another London proof mark, potentially a provisional proof mark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter. Below are two targets I shot today at 25 yards with factory Federal Premium ammunition loaded with 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcore soft nosed bullets.

The rifle shoots better than I can.

I fired while standing and resting my left hand on a sandbag. Some rounds I fired using the 150 yard blade and some with the aperture sight.

I'm pleased with how the rifle performed, notwithstanding my old eyes!

I'll do some more shooting soon at 50 yards, as I didn’t have time today.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Nice! How does the stock feel under recoil ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock doesn't really fit me all that well. The comb is a bit too high and there is no cast off to speak of. All the more reason to re-stock it!

Having said that, the recoil comes straight back and is quite manageable, even though the recoil pad has hardened over time and is useless.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be nice to pair it with this one!
https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101902975

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. The Maharaja had good taste.

The Rigby catalogue from the turn of the 20th century (i.e., from 19th to 20th) advised that all a man really "needed" were three cordite double rifles, one in .303, a second in .350 and a third in .450!

Of course, that was before the 21st century, when everyone apparently wants to shoot game on the far horizon, rather than up close and personal.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI, I asked George Caswell about the gothic "R.H" stamped on each of the barrels.

He thinks they are the initials of Rowland Hill, who was a barrel maker to the high-end gun trade during the era when my rifle was made.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
proofed prior to 1924?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, probably in 1911 or 1912. The rifle was finished in March of 1912.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo, from 1908, of the fellow who ordered and purchased my rifle in 1912:

I am inclined to like him, based only on this.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That is awesome Mike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am finding out some interesting things about my rifle's original owner, Sir John Hume Campbell, Bt.

This was his not-so-humble abode:

Marchmont, in Berwickshire, Scotland.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Cool! Waiting for the provenance on my H&H, they are moving so no one can reach the ledgers. Hopefully I can trace it back to someone and not just a H&H dealer at the time.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montreal Gazette, 12 May 1915:

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gloucestershire Echo (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England), 31 Jan 1916:

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England), 29 Nov 1919:

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England), 28 Mar 1931:

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what happened to Sir John after the mysterious gunshot wound to his jaw in Newfoundland in 1931.

His wife, whom he had divorced in 1919, on grounds of proven adultery, had died in 1929. He appears never to have remarried.

Was he despondent? Did he attempt suicide?

The gunshot wound did not kill him, I know that much. I have seen reports that he lived on to the age of 80, and died on the Isle of Wight in 1960.

But I have seen nothing in the press, other than a couple of birthday announcements, after he was shot, or shot himself, in 1931.

Also, oddly, I have found no obituary.

He seems to have been a bit of a bantam in terms of physique.

He looks rather slight, in his photograph above, and is referred to in one of the press clippings above, in reference to his skill as a horseman, as a "light-weight."

I am wondering if he needed a short length of pull, and if that is the reason a subsequent owner of my rifle had it re-stocked by Monty Kennedy in 1955.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Interesting story you have uncovered here. Cool

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you mentioned in the above that the Stock needed some more cast and that the comb was too high. You have not mentioned if the LOP pull needs correction...
Have you explored having the stock Bent.. and having the comb lowered ??

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I think you mentioned in the above that the Stock needed some more cast and that the comb was too high. You have not mentioned if the LOP pull needs correction...
Have you explored having the stock Bent.. and having the comb lowered ??

The LOP of the stock is fine for me as-is. As a practical matter, however, the Kennedy stock cannot be re-worked to fit my needs (or wants). As examples, there is nothing to be done about the lack of traditional tear drops or the modern checkering.

So, I have decided to have the rifle re-stocked in French walnut in the traditional Rigby style, with tear drops, steel trapdoor grip cap, traditional mullered-bordered checkering patterns, splinter forearm, leather covered recoil pad, no cheek piece, etc.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, it will be a splendid piece indeed.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Umm, great action. I’m a Rigby nut-case. Apart from restock I would consider re case colour the action (can see any traces left) and black/blue relevant furniture. The barrels have been re-blacked. They would benefit from a English re-black to get the depth and shine back. Lots of work but go for it.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend NOT recoloring the action.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m interested why you wouldn’t? Unless you prefer the bright finish, the action almost certainly would have been colour hardened when new.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Although the chance is small, the possibility of warping always exists which opens a can of worms. The steel composition of this vintage gun is absolute trash by todays standards.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The chances of warping or cracking the action is simply too great to take the chance!!

I WOULDN'T EITHER, AND I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, there is a chance but if it’s annealed and then re-hardened correctly it should be ok.

John

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen catastrophic failure despite everything being done “right”.

Try this. Call any person who does CCH and see if they’ll guarantee their work, and in the event of failure replace the weapon or pay it’s value, or in the event of warpage repair or pay to have repaired an off-face or tight condition.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you’ve have some tough times with CC. There’s one company in the UK I would use as does most of the trade. Each to their own and not intending to criticise you.

John