Find
Notify
Tools

Italian Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
I was at a store that specializes in competition shotguns the other day and they also mentioned they sold some rifles.

One was a Perugini & Visini Selous model double rifle in .470 NE. I must admit it was very nice.

Though it was around $53K if I remember right, so they were very proud of it.

I had never heard of the company (not that I am an expert in the subject matter).

Do you guys know anything about them?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
P&V have been around for a while and make quality shotguns and rifles of various grades. The best ones have English lines rather than European lines. Ver popular with clays shooters.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I had a Perugini and Visini 9.3 DR, in the early 80s. Very nice rifle. Killed one bear with it. Gave it both barrels of course; I never shoot just one barrel; keeps the wear even.
Should have kept it.
Didn't cost $53K though.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also had a Perugini Visini in 9.3x74r it was very accurate a boxlock with detatachable Swarovski scope I keep looking for something like a converted William Evans as the caliber is great and I have a bunch of ammo left unfortunately like so many newer rifles including the P.&V. they have not grasped the value off heavy enough weighted barrels for the caliber makes for a lighter carry but you begin to appreciate the recoiling eye piece in the Swar0vski at the bench I have not handled a new rifle costing 50 thousand or more so they may be much better but at this point I believe I'll stick with the English rifles they have had the time to have learned to build to perfection.

Posts: 10 | Location: midwest | Registered: 10 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Famars .470 once- it was a tank and shot well. Webley action copy and a nice rifle. I think Steve Barnett has it now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first double was a S.I.A.C.E., pronounced see-ah-che and made in Italy. It was beautiful. Exhibition grade walnut, deep engraving, color case hardened frame, gold inlay and trigger. I sold it because I couldn’t bring myself to shoot it, never mind hunt with it. It was a piece of art, and very well made, but just too pretty for me.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My used Beretta .45-70 with 26 inch barrels has nice wood and coin finish action . It puts big holes in hogs and such and has taken a lot of deer.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have been very impressed with the FAMARS Abitaco & Savalini .
Top quality.
There has been a 450 No2 with hidden bites for sale for $26K for some time and cant figure why it hasn't moved

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The Sabatti rifles had a chance, but came out of the gate like that horse that turned around just after the gates opened.

The boogered barrels and the gargoyle top lever just didn't fly with me.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicest cheapest double i held lately was a fausti in 45/70 side by side.