Find
Notify
Tools

577 BPE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Any advise, yea or nay? I think I am developing another itch.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the only BP double caliber that can be loaded to sufficient power to take Cape Buffalo or Elephant. Get Graeme Wright's book on loading for it.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it !!
I always wanted one and am really enjoying my 1875 Alex Henry. Be prepared an older rifle may be a bit of a project, with barrel and chamber casts necessary. But bullet molds are readily available and the steps to develope regulating loads well documented.
The process of developing an accurate, well regulated load is very satisfying.
Hope you go down this path.
Let us know what you find!
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES!!! The nitro for black loads are fun to shoot. Had a guy on the range comment that my "double" looked "heavy", told him I was shooting slugs, he seemed satisfied.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I really regret missing Mark Jones Nizam of Hyderabad's spectacular 577BP!!

David Powell and Cal Pappas also were successful with 4Bore, 8 Bore, 10 Bore, and 577-20ga... light Nitro loads!!

Go for it!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote