Tools

Optimal barrel length?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The .450/.400 in 26 inch Barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

(.450 NE 3 1/4 -24 Inch- vs. .470 NE -26 Inch-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

(.450 NE 3 1/4 -24 Inch- vs. .450/.400 NE - 26 Inch-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
26 looks best imo Smiler

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd do 28", but 26" wouldn'dt be bad.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my old eyes, about 48 inches would be perfect! jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
I know most factory specced doubles are 24-25 inches, but traditional barrel length is approximately 28 inches? Ken says 26 inches max... Any opinions?

It is true that if done properly 26 in barrels swing nicely but that has more to do with a proper balance built into the rifle by a knowledgeable gun maker. Just about any length barrels can be built to balance if the maker knows what he is doing.

The 28 and 30 in barrels are simply hold overs from the black powder days when the long barrels were needed to get the velocity needed to make the cartridge up to the task for hunting dangerous game. However today with the powders and very good steel for barrels anything over 24 in barrels are simply a choice of the buyer, but not necessary with modern ammo.

Actually there is a place for even 18 inch barrels on a double for specialized use, when going into the tight weeds with a wounded cat, or for a light carry rifle for following dogs on cats and black bear in very rough terrain where every ounce counts to be able to reach where the dogs have come to tree!

In the final analysis the length of the barrels today is simply a matter of taste rather that any perceived operational NEED!
................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
26" 375F

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post

1922 Springer 9.3X74R 25 1/2"

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
26 inch barrels! They perform and give the rifle a sleek look and balance! 26 inch barrels- All else is heresy! With the exception of Tony Black's 28 inch barreled double!

This is my position. One of the reasons I went with the Heym. I should not have to argue, haggle, or negotiate the length of barrel I want on my double. Heym will do 28 inch barrels you just have to ask and pay the up charge.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
28 seems proper to me..no less than 26.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote