THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Where Do You Grip The For-end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Do You Grip The For-end
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curios where do you guys hold and why? I hold fairy far back, the rear of my palm resting on the hinge pin. My reasoning is that it allows the tricep of my forward arm to rest on my peck muscle slightly and feels more stable to me.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is a target hold; limits your movement in the field. It also moves the moment arm backwards, away from the point at which the rifle was regulated. A bad habit taken from range shooting, only in my opinion, which means nothing. Do it however you choose.
I hold the forearm at the tip, fingers wrapped around the barrels. As does everyone else I know.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is a target hold; limits your movement in the field. It also moves the moment arm backwards, away from the point at which the rifle was regulated. A bad habit taken from range shooting, only in my opinion, which means nothing. Do it however you choose.
I hold the forearm at the tip, fingers wrapped around the barrels. As does everyone else I know.

Makes sense thank you. I’m getting ready to start back into double shooting after 2 year hiatus and have been practicing my mount inside. Looks like I picked up some bad habit

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
Just curios where do you guys hold and why? I hold fairy far back, the rear of my palm resting on the hinge pin. My reasoning is that it allows the tricep of my forward arm to rest on my peck muscle slightly and feels more stable to me.

Held that far back you will likely lose control of muzzle rise on a heavy kicker......not so good for followup shots.

I do as Tom mentions; grip the barrels right in front of the foreend.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Interesting question,your grip will depend on the length of your arms & the L.O.P,checking my grip on several different guns that I own,I find that my left arm goes where it feels most comfortable & secure,where I can maintain a solid grip with good barrel control,on 24" barrels? my grip is such that the thumb & index finger are about where the rear sight is located.

Btw the gun & forearm style will dictate where you hold the forearm as well ,the two guns I checked my hold on are not splinter forearms, a Heym & a Krieghoff.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a spinter forend- always on the barrels ahead of the forend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't, IMO. With a splinter fore end you grip the barrels so that the toe of the fore end rests in your palm and your fingers grip the top of the barrels. It lets you control the rise in recoil the same way the tacticool guys do nowadays with their C clamp grip.

It works. Gripping the wood and beavertail fore ends are just slower with heavys.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I hadn't pondered this much so I just shouldered some of my doubles and find that with every one of them, the tip of the forend (all splinters btw) tends to rest right at the root of my left index finger (i guess you'd call it the first knuckle) and my ring and middle fingers wrap around the barrel up to the rib.
My guns just happen to all feel really good right there and balance nicely.
Sort of similar to holding a violin.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also grip the end of the forend wrapping my fingers around the barrels. Its a dangerous game rifle, and you need to have a full half circle of movement in a hurry as you pull the gun back into your shoulder with the trigger hand...Pretty much the same with a bolt gun but maybe not so much.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:

You don't, IMO. With a splinter fore end you grip the barrels so that the toe of the fore end rests in your palm and your fingers grip the top of the barrels. It lets you control the rise in recoil the same way the tacticool guys do nowadays with their C clamp grip.

It works. Gripping the wood and beavertail fore ends are just slower with heavys.

Yep

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
All my double rifles are fitted with splinter fore ends, and like most here I grip the fore end of the splinter, and the fingers on the barrels.

The best thing one can do is practice shooting the first shot, and quickly fire the other barrel to determine, the grip position that works the best for himself. Arms are not the same length for everyone.
The one thing I would suggest is, IMO, all double rifle should be fitted with splinter fore-ends!

……...…...…………………. old MacD

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My Heym has a long beavertail. It doesn't look authentic and doesn't help balance - but the chequering goes right out on the sides and is great to grip!

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I hold unto the barrels but I wear a leather glove so I don't burn fingers...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with MacD47. Just works well for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, MacD, just added 10 years on you! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Sorry, MacD, just added 10 years on you! Big Grin

I think you just made me 10 yrs younger! Thanks I needed that! I'll be 83 yrs old in April!

………………………………………... jumping old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the best suggestion is to hold where it feels good to you..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Does gripping the barrels not interfere with your sight picture?

However the further down the barrels would be steadier in theory. Never really thought about it much

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I'm most comfortable holding the forend about midway on my Splinter forend with finger and thumb wrapped ether side of the site .
One of my mates who is a bit Orangatan holds the forend almost forward of the forend But then again, he cant shoot worth shit.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A splinter for-end just lays in the palm of my hand. The grip is my fingers on the barrels.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote