THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I hate asking this but double rifles for lefties?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate asking this but double rifles for lefties?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I know that there's a LH Searcy for sale in the classifieds and if I drive 90 miles I can go visit Butch.

But what I'm afraid to ask is, is there a truly ambidextrous, quality, production, double rifle in 9.3 mm caliber or larger available now?

No cheekpiece, neutral cast, etc. I can learn the difference in the lever operation as I have a Remington/Baikal 45.70 that works that way.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a vc in 450-400 that is left handed other than for the opening mechanism.

The gun is largely wasted on me as I don’t like or shoot double rifles.

It has a red dot.

I saw one true left handed at Holland and Holland in London. It was built in 1913 and in 375 h&h. It was built for the king of Romania. He was a small fellow as length of pull and stock was lengthened.

It was a true left handed rifle with left side opening ect. True bespoke action.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,

I think that I'm looking for a current production gun that I could shoot left handed and still be able to sell easily in the future.

I've decided that I'm going to retire soon and I want to pick up some new toys before I go on a fixed income.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed but shoot left handed....
When you say left handed what are you looking for or more importantly what do you need?
Here are some of the things I have done with DRs to work for me ....
**A left handed Top Lever if you are use to shooting shotguns with right handed top levers you may not want to switch
**Triggers can be bent for a left handed shooter or at least neutral.. Your gunsmith can easily to this
** Don't want a cheek piece on the wrong side .. take it off

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See a PM from me, Fjold.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
They are out there.

I have:
Heym .500 NE left handed stock and triggers, right handed lever.
VC .450 NE left handed stock, triggers and lever.
Heym 9.3x74R on order (should arrive in 6 weeks) left handed stock and triggers, right handed lever.

I must admit because I shoot sporting clays weekly with O/U and hunt with SxS shotguns that have right handed levers, the VC with a left handed lever really feels off at first.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
They are out there.

I have:
Heym .500 NE left handed stock and triggers, right handed lever.
VC .450 NE left handed stock, triggers and lever.
Heym 9.3x74R on order (should arrive in 6 weeks) left handed stock and triggers, right handed lever.

I must admit because I shoot sporting clays weekly with O/U and hunt with SxS shotguns that have right handed levers, the VC with a left handed lever really feels off at first.

Thanks Andy, I'll keep my eyes open for them. I'll have to come down your way one of these days and check them out. I've shot a VC in 470 and it was a sweetheart but I don't think that I've handled a Heym.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
As a RH'er with a dominate left eye, I shoot left handed. Had a few doubles, but I'm down to 2 presently - LH .470 Heym and a RH .450 3-1/4" Heym. My boys shoot RH and use the .450, I use the .470. Like others have said - the release lever on my LH is the same as the RH - I shot RH guns LH for so long (and still do), I wanted all the release levers the same. I shoot the .450 as well, but the LH obviously fits me better.

Several years ago I ordered a Chapuis with no cheek piece, no cast, RH triggers, RH lever. I thought it would be the best of all worlds - we could all use it. When I ordered it, the guy taking the order said "so you want one that works for everyone, but fits no one". He was right, and I've never forgotten that.

Even my LH Heym has RH triggers and I've never had an issue with that.

If a better resale audience is important, either order one with no cheek piece, RH lever and triggers, but a proper cast for you, or pick up a RH used and have the stock bent to fit you. With either, a RH shooter can have it bent to fit them later. JJ and others can adjust cast.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nhoro, food for thought.

Frank