Find
Notify
Tools

Gave in to the Trend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Finally ready to admit that my eye sight is no longer sufficient to get the job done with iron sights.

Broke down and went the way of installing red dots on my doubles. I'm expecting to receive my VC 500 and Chapuis 9.3x74R back from JJ this afternoon. He installed the Trijicon 1 MOA RMRs on both rifles.

This ends my long saga with the detachable scope set up on the 9.3 that I struggled so hard with to find a load to regulate and allow shooting of both barrels with the optic. For some reason, that particular rifle was greatly affected with the added weight of the scope, while others have scoped the same make/model/caliber without issue. In the end, I did get it to work with both barrels and the scope and took some animals well past 250 yards with that set up, as well as a nice male lion (about 40 yards) with the same gun (and all the baits), but it was always finicky in that configuration. Without the scope, it shot anything I fed it but smacked me in the face with its high comb. JJ also modified the stock to eliminate this situation.

Looking forward to getting them to the range and getting back up to speed with my doubles. Once I get them back, I'll post some photos of the installation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting older sucks don't it!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next will be a Powerglide in the Viper? :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Know how you feel, I caved several years ago and had JJ install one on my Evans.

You won't regret it.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Dokter sights on my big guns,nothing beats em for quick & deadly.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've a very real eye problem with my right eye, and it is slowly going blind with Macular degeneration. Being right handed that is my aiming eye for iron sights on all my double rifles. I've been thinking of having all my doubles fitted with the little Dokter optic "TV screens" that ruin the lines of sleek double rifles, but it's better than not being able to hunt with my favorite big game rifle type!

................................ old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found RMRs to be quite effective on many rifles. I even have shot targets at 200 and 300 yards with excellent results certainly they are a great assist to old eyes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't a pair of shooting glasses work for iron sights, I know they work on pistols as a lot of target shooters...I wear glasses that give me a clear picture of my sights and slight blurring of the target animal I suppose..

Before Id use anything but irons on a double I'd go with a bolt action rifle with a 3X Leupold I suppose, since I have one anyway! old I speak only for myself.. I realize a lot depends on ones eyesight as to what degree of sight loss is involved..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
As much as anything, I wanted to go with something that didn't affect the regulation as much as the scope on my 9.3. I use that rifle as my "light" gun, like a 375 if you will. I want to be able to shoot accurately past 100 yards with that rifle so with the way my eyes are currently, I can still use irons to 100 or so, but really not beyond that.

So since I broke down to go with the dot on one, I figured I might as well do it for the 500 also.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
As much as anything, I wanted to go with something that didn't affect the regulation as much as the scope on my 9.3. I use that rifle as my "light" gun, like a 375 if you will. I want to be able to shoot accurately past 100 yards with that rifle so with the way my eyes are currently, I can still use irons to 100 or so, but really not beyond that.

So since I broke down to go with the dot on one, I figured I might as well do it for the 500 also.

I would like to shoot a double that was fitted with a Dokter Optic to see if it could, at least, let me know that it would help with my Macular degeneration, or if it would simply not help and waste the effort and dollars wasted.
Macular Degeneration is not reparable and is finally total blindness in that one eye. My left eye is fine but at age 84 years of age I think it is a little late to learn to shoot left handed, especially when confronting a mad Cape buffalo .

............................ old MacD37

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have Trijicon RMRs on two out of the three of my double rifles. The two that have them also have a quarter rib that allows for scopes as well. Best of all worlds to have a double that handles iron sights, scopes and RMRs. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac,

My two rifles literally were just dropped off by UPS. I've got them in my possession now so come on out this way or find us a convenient range and I'll meet you. You can shoot them til we run out of ammo or you give out!

Photos in a bit

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Todd you and Mac advised me on putting Dokter s on my NE .577 and I have a large right macula. JJ did a great job for me and other than increasing the powder load I m very happy...whisk I m also happy with! So thanks to both of you and I hope it works out for you also!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifles Todd! They look great with the RMRs. Good luck and good shooting! tu2

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I will have a Trijicon dot on my Heym .500 NE when I hunt this year. I am having a 9.3x74R getting built by Heym as my light rifle and it is being regulated with a scope I sent them.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:

Beats the alternative! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Maybe a dumb question here - but do these RMRs have any sort of adjustment like the eyepiece on a standard scope? I see a lot of us *ahem* older guys using RMRs to offset worsening visual clarity, but how is the RMR overcoming that?

Just dont know enough about them/.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you look through a RMR you are only lining up the dot on the target in question, in other words only one thing, not a rear sight aligning with a front sight and then the target. Also, I have read that some are very slightly magnified but I am anot an expert. If I remember correctly some may give minor magnification to something around one power or less. Believe me, they ARE faster just as a low power scope is faster than irons. There have been numerous studies on that. What I like most about the RMR is that it really doesn’t change the lines or balance of a rifle much if at all, most weight two ounces or less and all mine about one ounce. Battery life on these things is crazy long as well. If anyone has a better explanation chime in I may be off a bit and like to learn.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Maybe a dumb question here - but do these RMRs have any sort of adjustment like the eyepiece on a standard scope? I see a lot of us *ahem* older guys using RMRs to offset worsening visual clarity, but how is the RMR overcoming that?

Just dont know enough about them/.

They do not have a diopter adjustment. I am in the same boat like most of the guys in my age group. I use reading glasses though I have a 20/20 vision for distance. I am a competitive pistol (USPSA/IPSC) shooter and can't see the front sight clearly (ditto for rifle). I use shooting glasses with just enough magnification to see the front sight with dominant eye and clear on the other eye. Shooting with both eyes open the brain adjusts.

I do the same with RMR. One good thing about my glasses is that they adjust with the light so it is a combination of sunglasses/shooting glasses. I got the glasses from the link below after telling them what magnification to use for dominant eye.

https://new.huntershdgold.com/

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell I’m only 34 and most likely going to go with a rmr on my 450no2.

I am a traditionalist and understand the sacrilege this causes. To the lines and history of the double. I fight with the idea daily haha

But I am also practical in the sense that I want to give the Animal the utmost respect and my best ability to have a shot, if hastily made, to be on target and deadly efficient.

This comes down to my hope to hunt an ele bull someday, and in my head, even proficient in shooting with irons, I just feel I owe it to the old bull to give him my best. And if that means quickly putting a small dot where it needs to be on his head, that’s what I’d choose.

My double has a 1.5-5x Leopold it was fitted with that I appreciate for any further shots but I’ve never been a scope on a double kinda guy. So all this is taken with a grain of salt. How can one justify a rmr but not like scopes on a double? It’s all personal and I’d never have an issue with what another decided if best for him, if it’s what’s best for the animal.

Posts: 133 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd they look great. I don’t remember your VC having a gold banner on it. Can you post a closer picture for me. I’m trying to decide on a gold banner for my new rifle.

How does the 1 moa dot show up have you had a chance to use it. I’m ordering mine with an 3.5 moa Doctor regulated from the factory. I figured on doing a 6 o’clock hold for longer shots.

I seem to have astigmatism that shows smaller dots with a slight star burst. I had a rmr dual illuminated green triangle once I liked the it but it wasn’t very bright.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was sure with this post you were going to admit to having purchased a double rifle in a rimmed version of the 6.5 Creedmoor!

I like the red dot's. I was having trouble picking up my front sight at a handgun school last summer, and the red dot sure makes it easier. I'm going to try the fiber optic and the red dot for the handgun this year, but I think the red dot's a great choice.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Tanks: thanks for the info and link!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,

My two rifles literally were just dropped off by UPS. I've got them in my possession now so come on out this way or find us a convenient range and I'll meet you. You can shoot them til we run out of ammo or you give out!

Photos in a bit

Thanks Todd for the offer. I also have a double rifle chambered for 9.3X74 and have plenty of ammo for it that I could shoot in your rifle to avoid using up yours. The hits on the target do not necessarily have to regulate in your rifle. The main thing I need to find out is, if my right eye will let me shoot with both eyes open and still group on target, regardless of where they hit.
I drive pretty well with both eyes open, in day light but I'm not sure it would be accurate enough for shooting a rifle with the distances between shots on a target. It wouldn't take more than one group on a target to tell the sad tell of going blind in my right eye hindering my ability to shoot well enough to stand a charge from a cape buffalo in relatively short distance.
If it does work I have five double rifles that will all need the little sights mounted.

Let me wait a while, as I just got my second shot against the pandemic going around, and I'm 84 yrs old and am reluctant to push the envelope.
Again I want to thank you for your very generous offer to help!

..................................Stay safe, and enjoy your new little sights. oldMacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Mac,

Photos in a bit

Thanks Todd for the offer. I also have a double rifle chambered for 9.3X74 and have plenty of ammo for it that I could shoot in your rifle to avoid using up yours. The hits on the target do not necessarily have to regulate in your rifle. The main thing I need to find out is, if my right eye will let me shoot with both eyes open and still group on target, regardless of where they hit.
I drive pretty well with both eyes open, in day light but I'm not sure it would be accurate enough for shooting a rifle with the distances between shots on a target. It wouldn't take more than one group on a target to tell the sad tell of going blind in my right eye hindering my ability to shoot well enough to stand a charge from a cape buffalo in relatively short distance.
If it does work I have five double rifles that will all need the little sights mounted.

Let me wait a while, as I just got my second shot against the pandemic going around, and I'm 84 yrs old and am reluctant to push the envelope.
Again I want to thank you for your very generous offer to help!

..................................Stay safe, and enjoy your new little sights. oldMacD37

Sure thing Mac. Let me know when you want to give it a go and we'll figure a place to meet and shoot.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd. There is no hurry, I don't think I'll be going back to Africa at my age, but I hunt everything with double rifles, and I would like to fix my sighting problem if for nothing but Wild hog hunting.
.....................Thanks again for the offer! Here's looking forward to reading about your next trip to Africa, I always like reading them.

.........................Good hunting! old MacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Purdey under lever hammer double the had an obsolete scope base on the rib. I machined a mount to pus a Dokter red dot on it. I installed the red dot, looked at it, said "oh no" and took it off. I should sell the sight and my guns since my hunting day are over.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Put a Trijicon RMR on my .500 NE 2 ele ago. It IS the way forward for aging eyes — night and day difference.

Now I have one on a 1911, couple of ARs, and a Rem 600 .308.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve purchased a RMR mount for my Heym .470 and trying to decide between the 1 moa or 3 moa dot. I’ve got a couple Aimpoint T2s with the 2 moa dot that seem to do fine out 200 yards on a AR. The 2moa dot certainly does not seem to be to big so I’m inclined to try the 3moa RMR as just don’t see using it much past 100 yards. Opinions?

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
For a .470...that is what I would go with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lane. I’m going to get the 3 MOA RMR if it’s to big I’ll put it on a Glock, I just don’t think I’ve got the nerve to see it on one of my 1911s!

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The RMR's JJ installed on mine are 1 MOA dots. Turned up to full power, they are very bright. I don't think I'd want them any larger to be honest.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The RMR's JJ installed on mine are 1 MOA dots. Turned up to full power, they are very bright. I don't think I'd want them any larger to be honest.

Looking forward to the test. What model VC is that?

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Looking forward to the test. What model VC is that?

Cheers

It's a Round Body in 500NE. It was one of, it not the very first splinter fore-end VC did, at least in the current offerings. It's not a perfect splinter but it's a hell of a step in the right direction away from those horrible beavertails.

Cool

The gold banner on the side of the action is their company name against color case hardening. This is a design Subsailer came up with on his VC's. I've got a thread on the rifle's build and delivery here on AR. There's also an ele bull hunt video of it in use somewhere here on AR as well as a speed shooting contest against a bolt action big bore.

There are several videos of the 9.3 in use, including taking a male lion in 2012.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:

Beats the alternative! rotflmo

My father says that regularly - hard to argue with that kind of logic.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hello Doc.

Nice to see you on here!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

I lurk here pretty regularly and pay attention to the things my friends write about.

Dreaming of getting back to Africa and using the doubles.

Best to Biebs, Lane, Don, Retreever, Cal and a whole host of good people I’ve gotten to know a bit over the years.

Stay safe and stay well my friend.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. I just ordered a Red Dot Holosun 507C for my single shot 577. It has the green reticle. I have never tried one before.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote