Find
Notify
Tools

William Evans 470
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I was reading the "slow participation" thread and thought I'd share some information I had discovered about my William Evans 470.

It's a Webley built A&W.C boxlock made in 1919. Hard to believe it will be 100 yrs old soon. I've taken two elephants and two buffalo with it so far.

The records for Evans firearms are available by contacting William Evans. I have owned several of their rifles over the years and they have always been very gracious about providing information.

Unfortunately, the Evans premises were bombed during the blitz and they lost several order books detailing the build information for the yrs when my 470 was built. I could tell the approximate year it was built based on serial # but that's about it.

A few yrs ago I called Evans and spoke with a gentleman named Peter Telsbett(sp?)and asked him to look up my 470. He let me know the book was one of the ones destroyed but when he got a chance he would take a look at some other information and see what he could find.

I was pleasantly surprised when a few months later a letter came addressed to me from William Evans. In it Peter wrote that he had come in on a Saturday and spent a few hours going through their ledgers until he found the information on my rifle. He provided a copy of the ledger spelling out my rifle had been built for a Captain Noel Christian Livingstone-Learmonth.

Doing a little research I found quite a few entries for Captain Livingstone-Learmonth online and even found a book detailing an Artic and African safari written by a Max Fleischman detailing his safari and participation by Captain Livingstone-Learmonth.

I also have a copy of a page of Rigby's records detailing a 450 that was built for Captain Livingstone-Learmonth but unfortunately can't put my hands on it right now.

I thought you might enjoy a link to the book.

https://books.google.com/books...%20learmonth&f=false

Enjoy.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very cool indeed, sir. There are so many rifles out there like yours that if only they could talk! Thanks for sharing. j

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past-- 2002 and 2008--when I was working in England, I have visited William Evans shops a number of times in London and at the Bisley shooting grounds. They are a first class act, and treat one like an old favorite customer, even though they know that you are not going to buy a firearm from them that day. Each time I have visited them at the London shop going downstairs to view the guns and rifles was an adventure and one never knows what will be there at that time. On one occasion I discovered that they had a pair of Stephen Grant & Sons damascus barreled shotguns in for a "check up" from the family who had owned them since they were ordered and purchased more than 100 years earlier. They were outstanding guns.

I suspect your rifle was made by Webley and Scott for Evans as they were a major supplier to Evans. Webley and Scott made wonderful rifles.

If any of you go to London be sure to visit them

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting story.
I checked the availability of the book and found one original copy for $1800.
Must be a very rare book. Fortunately there are plenty of print on demand copies available.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the story about your rifle, very interesting!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some day I hope people will be searching for the history of our fine rifles!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you be willing to provide us with a picture of your 470.
Thanks

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Here is the only one I have on my computer right now. It's not a great picture, I need to take some more.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Looks good enough to me!

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sambarman338 says

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle for sure.Is William Evans the retailer or the rifle builder?I checked their web sight and did not find any indication of them building or selling rifles of this class.
If I am not mistaken there is another english double rifle brand with the name Evans.My PH was using one in Moz,a 470 which he borrowed from another PH.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does your 470 have Bushed Firing Pins??

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Hello, yes it has bushed strikers.

Below are a few more pictures, sorry for the poor quality makes me appreciate the talent of a good photographer.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite makers!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice looking rifle,love the wood,has that history look to it,a proven weapon!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Who can't fall in love with this? The absolute perfect double!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely Lovely Lovely......
Wow...