THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What sight on a small double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sight on a small double rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
So now that my 44mag double project is in the works I need to decide on a sight.

My soon to be 69yr old eyes don't work on open sights as well as they used too. So I was thinking some type of red dot or Holo. Maybe a peep sight?

Open for suggestions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would consider a Dokter red dot sight or a ghost ring setup,my eyes are not the best either & I find the Dokter sight to be the best,six trips to Africa & used a Dokter sight every time,never had a problem,my second choice is a peep or call it a ghost ring & that too works pretty well on some levers that I own.
Whatever you decide on? let Aaron know so that he can regulate the gun with your choice of sights.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If you are able to use a peep sight, why not ask Aaron to build in a pop up peep that you can use when too far for the express sights?

Then the nice lines of the double will not be cluttered with a clumsy add on sight of any type.

Or if you like QD scopes or such, he can also make the rear rib the base of the the Talley QD scope rings. Example below:

Such a rear rib can also be the base for the Talley QD peep sight, as below:

Now is the time to decide on any sight other than the express sights, before he makes the barrels of your rifle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Trust me everything will be with Aaron's blessing. tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Being a traditionalist, I like a peep sight on a double. (I'm in the process of obtainign a .577 Holland with a peep sight and leaves on the rib that all fold flat).
Red dot, etc., are blasphemous on any vintage double, passable on a modern double from Europe, and go perfectly with a Blaser.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red dot, etc., are blasphemous on any vintage double, passable on a modern double from Europe, and go perfectly with a Blaser.
Cal

Well said, Cal.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
If you are able to use a peep sight, why not ask Aaron to build in a pop up peep that you can use when too far for the express sights?

Then the nice lines of the double will not be cluttered with a clumsy add on sight of any type.

Or if you like QD scopes or such, he can also make the rear rib the base of the the Talley QD scope rings. Example below:

Such a rear rib can also be the base for the Talley QD peep sight, as below:

Now is the time to decide on any sight other than the express sights, before he makes the barrels of your rifle.

Hoenig builds pop-up tang/wrist peeps you can use for longer shots to crisp up the picture. Neat stuff.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Folding express sights and a pop up peep sight especially if fashioned like the very sort after Brno pop up that was built into the integral rear scope base on some of the ZKK model rifles, would be the best of 'four worlds'. With a rib for a scope there is of course the fourth sight option of a Dokter red dot type too.
Why not cover all bases if having something custom made?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of red dot sights on any double rifle, a gun designed for placing two shots quickly at closer ranges. What’s faster than a bright red dot that doesn’t require you to have the gun mounted perfectly every time to deliver precise shot placement? What’s better than an optic that doesn’t weigh enough to effect regulation? On many vintage doubles, especially those with multiple leaf rear sights you can remove them and machine an insert to hold the red dot and a flip up leaf in case of failure. When done replace the original sight and nobody is the wiser and you haven’t permanently modified a vintage double like you would in the event of mounting a scope or peep sight. Durability of red dots, far better than a scope and many have proved through testing to be able to withstand more than enough. Need to stretch a shot out to 150-200yds, a 2moa dot won’t hold you back.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Aaron! If you can't see the sights anymore and appreciate vintage doubles, I say go for it. If someone else doesn't want you to alter your rifle, they should offer you so much money for it that you can't say no. I don't know of too many of these guns that didn't go back for a Freshening or modification in there lives.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
I’m a big fan of red dot sights on any double rifle, a gun designed for placing two shots quickly at closer ranges. What’s faster than a bright red dot that doesn’t require you to have the gun mounted perfectly every time to deliver precise shot placement? What’s better than an optic that doesn’t weigh enough to effect regulation? On many vintage doubles, especially those with multiple leaf rear sights you can remove them and machine an insert to hold the red dot and a flip up leaf in case of failure. When done replace the original sight and nobody is the wiser and you haven’t permanently modified a vintage double like you would in the event of mounting a scope or peep sight. Durability of red dots, far better than a scope and many have proved through testing to be able to withstand more than enough. Need to stretch a shot out to 150-200yds, a 2moa dot won’t hold you back.

++2,Aaron is right on the money,you cannot beat a quality red dot sight for ease of use,quick & deadly.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My recently resolved fair-chase concepts preclude my recommending anything with a battery. However, folk have used ordinary scopes on smaller doubles for much of a century, so a 2.5x, say, might be applicable.

Apertures work well with aged eyes, but I'd prefer it in the pop-up mode mooted, behind a lower express sight - as long as you can focus at least the front sight well. I bent my specks recently and went to the range with an old pair. Though things went well with scopes, my .450/.400 seemed to be shooting all over the place and quite a few shots were fired before I admitted to myself I couldn't focus the bead properly.

If you really do want express sights, try to get a leaf with horizontal flats each side of a wide V, not the type made for moon sights where the tangent ascends into kelpies' ears.

With the flat-topped type, you might be able to level the bead's top with the flats, rather than strain your eyes deciding if you've taken a fine enough one.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon RMR on my 375 flanged double rifle. It shoots with iron sights, scopes or the RMR. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of as much versatility with types of sights being built into the guns as possible. For mine I went with the Recknagel swingoff mount for a scope, std irons, an interchangeable front blade that would work with a peep. I have a Deltapoint on it at the moment, which isn't a QD, the one fault of that setup at the moment. But, all the possibilities are there for the next guy down the road after me. And it has given me the opportunity to try all this out to see what works best, for me.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well Palmetto Arms had the Vortex Venom on sale for $179 so that will go on it at least.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my 74 year old eyes I understand. I have had excellent results with a RMR on my big bore double rifles. I find the 3 minute dot as precise as I will ever need and the 6 minute dot more than adequate for close encounters.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little installed a little aperture on my Sarasqueta .30-30. The hogs haven't complained...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a short range 44 magnum, that has no nostalgia, whatever works would suit me, probably a Talley peep and groove cuts in the quareter rib, but a plane Jane shallow V with a 3/32 Ivory bead would suit me best on such a rifle..

Additionally I can see no reason what so ever to have a ugly beavertail forend on a double rifle, shotgun or Ruger no. 1,,,But I,m funny about as I consider beavertail forends as firewood by natue..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote