THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Two nice Brit 375 21/2" NEs on GI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two nice Brit 375 21/2" NEs on GI
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
I just ran across both of the 375 21/2" NEs advertised by Pintos, in Renton, WA.I mentioned earlier, among others. I have handled both of these doubles and would be proud to have either one in my collection.
COGGSWELL & HARRISON GI# 101917829
WW GREENER GI# 101917808

Both are honestly described and well priced.

Good Luck
CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Very nice DRs. I haven't seen a screwed/bolted through sling attach before like on the C&H. Interesting scope bases as well.

A person can dream!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
I haven't seen a screwed/bolted through sling attach before like on the C&H.

The C&H 475 No.2 they have has the same thing. Odd.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I will ask Chris about them?? It might be the doings of the late owner of all of these doubles offered? Chris is extremely knowledgeable about all things British...he was in Alaska last week attending a memorial service for a favorite cousin.

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the response regarding the forward sling stud fastening from Master Gunmaker Keith Thomas, north of London,and Purdey and Rigby apprenticed:

"Usually they are brazed or soldered onto the bottom rib. Some rifles didn’t have swivels fitted so when someone came along and decided the wanted them the easiest way is to pin and screw the swivel bases on, that way avoiding excess cost of stripping and relay the ribs, re-regulating and re-blacking.

The “cheaper” end double rifles are more common tho have it done."

There you have a professional opinion!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
470EDDY,

Thank you and never thought of avoiding stripping/relay/re-regulate and re-black. That would cost a bundle, plus the time delay, etc..

Personally, I wouldn't sneeze at a double with that type of sling swivel and would love to own either one that you listed, the C&H as my top choice in case God is listening and in a charitable mood.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree...
Don't hesitate to call Chris at Pinto's Guns in Renton, WA. 425-227-9280 Tuesday thru Saturday 10am-6pm PDT. Those guns have been around for a while, and he is negotiable!! This is an estate settlement, and he might have to check with the family ... but I would have either one in my collection!!
A high-profile hunter and double rifle fanatic, in our circles, already spied the MAHILLON 475 No.2 in this collection and scooped it up!! It might be in Africa right now chasing elephants??!!
Chris calls the C&H 475 No.2 "BUNDU BASHER"... a real brush buster in Swahili!!... real "working gun"...no excuses!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have a C&H .375 2 1/2" that I purchased from Thad Scott about 15 years ago. Identical to the one listed for sale but without the aftermarket ? scope bases. I never gave a moments thought about the barrel swivel stud attachment.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal for a collector..

As a hunter of DG, I would not want amd never felt the need for a sling. best to have it in hand, nor would I care for the caliber..I never used a sling for a bolt action or any gun in Africa after I missed a couple of opportunities..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote