THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Has anyone ever had a mechanical failure with the .375 h&h?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever had a mechanical failure with the .375 h&h?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious, as there are a lot of doubles floating around by known makers chambered in the rimless version.

Are ejectors better than extractors in this caliber?

I really like this one... https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101115171

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking that one is Belted rather than Flanged?

Nice looking rifle and nice weight.

My double 375 is a Flanged Mag.ejector.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of doubles around chambered in the belted case. I’d like to know if anyone has actually had problems with them extracting or ejecting fired cases.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had an Austrian-made double in .375 H&H fail to eject as the pawl slid past the rim. Could not close the rifle until I knocked the hull out with a cleaning rod. Turned out a bit of crud had gotten into the pawl spring and kept it from working properly.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, I've had doubles in several non-rimmed calibers...375, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag. I've never had an issue with any of them.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not see many bar action Nitro double rifles.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Had an Austrian-made double in .375 H&H fail to eject as the pawl slid past the rim. Could not close the rifle until I knocked the hull out with a cleaning rod. Turned out a bit of crud had gotten into the pawl spring and kept it from working properly.

Regards, Tim

I own two O/U dr's,both in belted calibers,375 H&H & 458 Lott,as Tim described above,I have experienced it once,one of the pawls was stuck in grime after sitting for a long time in the safe,I discovered this before shooting the gun so no problem & a simple cleaning fixed it,the second time that I experienced a problem was at the range with the Lott,the pawl actually slipped over the rim & failed to eject the spent case,in this instance the case itself was out of spec & the pawl did not have enough grip to pull it out,after this instance? I check my brass very thoroughly before every hunt,I have put a lot of rounds through the Lott,hunted DG as well,that was the only failure ,it ejects perfectly each time,I like a single pawl versus two or three small ones in the ejector body,there is also the question of the higher pressures generated with the belted cases,I hand load & try to keep the lowest pressures possible,I think that factory ammo might be hard on a gun if you shoot a lot,I won't mention any names but my smith has seen a fair number of guns in 375 H&H get loose on face from one manufacturer.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'm sure most will eject properly as designed. The only problem is WHEN it fails it then becomes a very serious problem if another shot is needed after a re-load. Then it matters not that it never happened before!
I personally will not hunt any thing that bites, scratches, or guars with a double rifle chambered with a rimless,or belted rimless cartridge.

It may work for 1000 rounds but once is all that it takes to cause a problem.

……………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its common knowledge that on rare occasions that belted or standard rounds get an override and tie up a double..but as rare as it might be keep in mind that such events only happen at the worst of times, when it rains it pours.

I personally would not hunt with a rimless round in a double rifle. The action is designed for rimmed cartridges. This is just my personal opinion, Some disagree and so be it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I am curious, as there are a lot of doubles floating around by known makers chambered in the rimless version.

Are ejectors better than extractors in this caliber?

I really like this one... https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101115171

Yes, years ago, a Belgian built .375 H&H and a Austrian built .458 Win mag-- both jumped a pawl in the field.

Thus ended my ownership of rimless or belted DR's for hunting.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have hunting experience with belted cartridges in double rifles as I did my DG hunting with my Heym 470, however; I do have a high grade double rifle in 30-06 which would not extract/eject one barrel. In that rifle you could load the barrel that had ejected and close the action with the fired case in the other barrel. JJ refitted the ejectors and I have not had a failure to extract since. That experience was enough for me to have JJ rechamber my 458 Win. Heym to 450 Nitro Express as that was an easy fix to a POTENTIAL problem.

The above being said, if the claw is properly fitted, kept clean/lubricated, and properly sized ammunition used the probability of extraction failure is minimal. As a client hunter I would not worry about the potential for extraction failure as the hunter is backed up by the PH. My opinion is if you like the rifle buy it.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote