Find
Notify
Tools

LET'S DISCUSS 375 FL....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I've always wanted one and now that both Norma and Nosler(i'm thinking one in the same for brass anyway,plus rumors of Hornady) load for it, I might just ahem, pull the trigger on one.

As always, I load for everything and gun makers are limited to what they can get in factory fodder to regulate, but what do you guys have and maybe those of you that hand load, share your recommendations , i.e. 270gr or 300, etc.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I've always wanted one and now that both Norma and Nosler(i'm thinking one in the same for brass anyway,plus rumors of Hornady) load for it, I might just ahem, pull the trigger on one.

As always, I load for everything and gun makers are limited to what they can get in factory fodder to regulate, but what do you guys have and maybe those of you that hand load, share your recommendations , i.e. 270gr or 300, etc.

Jorge, like you that is one chambering I have never owned in a double rifle, and one I have always wanted. Most of the time in Africa, and Canada my second rifle has always been CRF bolt rifle chambered for 375 H&H belted magnum. With that I have never found it lacking on even buffalo or big bears.

Like you I have been thinking about getting a double chambered for 375H&H flanged. Let us know when, and what make you get!

……………………………………………………. tu2 old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let us know when, and what make you get

Might be as soon as the DSC convention this year and it will be another Verney..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Smart choice tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good choice Jorge.

If I ever get the fire back, I might trade my 9.3X74R for one.

The 9.3X74R and 375FL are pretty similar in performance but there is something about the 375 that is appealing.

That said, I've done several Double Double Rifle safaris now using the 500NE or 577NE for my heavy DR paired with a scoped 9.3X74R DR for lighter duty. I've taken the little ones (grysbuck, etc) using the CEB solids with no ruined meat / capes, all the way up to kudu and male lion with the CEB Safari Raptors. A 375FL would be even better.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mine worked great on spotted cat in my dad’s hands in Namibia a few years ago.

There’s one or two photos of it in here:

Namibia 2011

Light, handy and a pleasure.
Definitely go for it!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Royal in the intro to Cal’s book wrapped in camp tape!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new .375 H&H Flanged Magnum finish chamber reamer if anyone wants to build a DR in that caliber. I never got around to building one.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a lovely Westley Richards 375F with spare barrels in 7x57R that was refurbished in Furlach. Both sets of barrels have matching new Schmidt&Bender 4x36 steel tubed scopes.
I need to move them on Wink Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 375Flanged Mag.

Mine likes the Norma brass and loads just over 2400fps with 300gn Woodleighs.

I have recently bought a Swarovski 1-6x EE to use instead of the Zeiss on it.

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
There's one on Guns International for sale...
VC 375 H&H FL

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
VC 375 H&H FL

Round body with VC's version of a splinter fore end. Perfect!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
VC 375 H&H FL

Mr Todd,

In 4 years time I will show you a proper English splinter ... buildt in England ... Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good buy? I can probably talk them down a bit...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
VC 375 H&H FL

Mr Todd,

In 4 years time I will show you a proper English splinter ... buildt in England ... Wink

Morten

Morten, I'm glad to see you have developed some taste and turned away from those hideous beavertail fore-ends!!

Proof there is hope for all.

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good buy? I can probably talk them down a bit...

Right Jorge. With the DR market being super soft right now, I'd think you could get them down on the price some. Looks like a very nice rifle to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge. You mentioned brass. The VC case is different and longer so you get more velocity out of it. I nearly bought one a couple of years ago but ended up shooting a Army Navy .375 flanged . Really very nice! Although I took my buffalo on that trip with my VC .577. Also a superb double.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here s what Ken Buch. Kebco. Told me:

posted 27 August 2018 03:58 Hide Post
There is only one factory load, a 300gr TSX at 2800 FPS. The factory load uses 100gr of Norma MRP powder (note this is the same as RL 22). I have loaded this round using the 300gr CEB solid & Hornady 300gr Spire point boattail. Never tried heavier or lighter bullets. I have shot maybe 15 buffalo, 3 elephants, a pile of hogs, and a couple of bears.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:
Jorge. You mentioned brass. The VC case is different and longer so you get more velocity out of it. I nearly bought one a couple of years ago but ended up shooting a Army Navy .375 flanged . Really very nice! Although I took my buffalo on that trip with my VC .577. Also a superb double.

Good point brought up here Jorge. I believe from the link, this is a 375 H&H Flanged and not the VC version of the 375. Might want to confirm that if you're interested in that rifle.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's the standard H&H Flanged guys and Norma uses the 300 gr Woodleighs now... J

Manufacturer: Verney Carron
Model: Fusil Double
Serial Number: A1956
Caliber: .375 Flanged Magnum NE
Chambers: .375 Flanged Magnum NE

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of 375 Flanged Mag, and I would definitely double check that load with a 300 grainer going 2800 fps. As designed, it was slower than the Belted Mag, shooting a 300 grainer at about 2400 and that was likely from 28 inch English barrels.
Not questioning KB in any way of course......

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I shoot a lot of 375 Flanged Mag, and I would definitely double check that load with a 300 grainer going 2800 fps. As designed, it was slower than the Belted Mag, shooting a 300 grainer at about 2400 and that was likely from 28 inch English barrels.

That's the 375VC cartridge and not the H&H which "lumbers" along @ 2400 Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

That's the 375VC cartridge and not the H&H which "lumbers" along @ 2400 Smiler

Exactly

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, oops; I did not know about that one......

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I own a Searcy 375 Flanged Magnum double rifle and it is the SWEETEST! I shoot 300 grain loads in both solids and softs. Love that gun! tu2 My only regret: That I didn't get it much sooner!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a close friend that has one and Ive shot it some, and love it, I don't see that its any better or worse than a 450-400 my all time favorite..I had his 375L double on me and it didn't kill me like a 470 did, so I was sold on that..Its just a nice caliber for anything Africa has to offer for the pro or for the beginner...A dandy DG rifle in my books.The 450-400-3" is the only reason I never had a .375F/

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 450-400 too, along with a 470 NE. The 470 NE has become a safe queen. I love the 450-400 and have killed a number of buffalo and other African game with it. It can't hurt to both love and shoot the 450-400 and the 375 Flanged Magnum! tu2 Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a .375 flanged, Jorge, that is now out for sale. Had the maker regulate it for the Kynamco 300 grain SN, figuring that it would sell to a wider audience ultimately.

My handloads used Jamison brass, Woodleigh or Swift bullets and IMR4350 for good regulation. Using the rule of 3/4 it also regulates a 235 gr bullet, but somewhat higher.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
that is now out for sale

Hi Tim is that your round body on one of the gun websites? beautiful gun, but I'm not a fan of the round bodies...only in chicks! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, Jorge, it's a rising bite and set up for the left hand.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim: Is that your Searcy 375 Flanged Magnum that is up for sale?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the one.

Regards, Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful double rifle! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Don't believe the LOP is 15-3/8; normally I use a 14-5/8" LOP with a sxs shotgun and the rifle fits the same way. Should have double-checked the measurement...

Regards, Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owed a cape gun in 12/.375fl. It was great, but I think it had been altered at some time. Love that caliber.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis Safari grade .375 H&H Fl Magnum that I might be willing to part with. It is regulated for 300 gn Woodleighs. I have RCBS dies & shell holder, 150 Norma cases, and about 70 rounds of loaded Woodleighs, Swifts, Noslers.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If you're in the market for a "proper" .375 H&H Flanged...

http://www.hallowellco.com/hol...20Flanged%20Mag.html

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful! Hell I'd buy it just to get that can (sorry, tin) of "Rangoon Oil"! man, I love the Brits!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
If you're in the market for a "proper" .375 H&H Flanged...

PROPER is the correct description of that rifle. WOW!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Be still my beating heart. I'm trying to thin out my collection, but keep being seduced by another double. It's a sickness.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote