New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foresight size and material
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious as to what you think is the ideal foresight size and material for your double.

I have two set of barrels by the same maker that measure approximately 0.065". They are easily lost against some backgrounds. The fold-up moon sights are nearly three times that size. I must admit I have used them at times!

I also have a spare foresight for a magazine rifle that states, on the old paper bag it is wrapped in, "fitted with ivory back", however the ivory has gone.

Foresights:

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth…
When I hunt I carry a small one ounce bottle of White Out with me. I have used it often in the bush--once when I lost the ivory bead of the original sight and several times to brighten what is already there. It won't last long when the rifle is in and out of a soft case, but is easily and quickly applied with the small foam tip applicator. The dried drop of white out is larger than the original bead by a little--I think the original bead is 3/32 or 1/16 of an inch--but smaller than the night sight. And, it is far brighter than the original ivory or replacement plastic.
Anyway,just what I do.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal. I will try that. What a simple effective remedy!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Uggh, rich people problems.

Rockdoc, beautiful arsenal.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One rifle, two sets barrels!

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a fiber optic front sight? Krieghoff offers this on their Big Five Classic doubles. Mine is in 500/416 and I sent the gun back to have it fitted. VERY fast acquisition.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Curious as to what you think is the ideal foresight size and material for your double.

I have two set of barrels by the same maker that measure approximately 0.065". They are easily lost against some backgrounds. The fold-up moon sights are nearly three times that size. I must admit I have used them at times!

I also have a spare foresight for a magazine rifle that states, on the old paper bag it is wrapped in, "fitted with ivory back", however the ivory has gone.

Foresights:

A fiber optic sight on these beauties? NEVER!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
For what it is worth…
When I hunt I carry a small one ounce bottle of White Out with me. I have used it often in the bush--once when I lost the ivory bead of the original sight and several times to brighten what is already there. It won't last long when the rifle is in and out of a soft case, but is easily and quickly applied with the small foam tip applicator. The dried drop of white out is larger than the original bead by a little--I think the original bead is 3/32 or 1/16 of an inch--but smaller than the night sight. And, it is far brighter than the original ivory or replacement plastic.
Anyway,just what I do.
Cal

I do the same thing but with finger nail polish. Takes a little time to find the right color and finish, but lasts quite a while. Take the bottle with you if the sight needs a tune up, but they usually last the whole hunt.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea. Any particular colour you have found works best?

Might get some odd looks when I uncase the rifle and get out the fingernail polish Cool

Also I think a larger bead might help.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
For what it is worth…
Anyway,just what I do.
Cal

Women's white nail polish works well and is quite hard wearing

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've also done the same thing with the White Out (Liquid Paper), Nail polish, and/or you can buy small bottles/vials of sight paints. I bought one or two sight paint packets years ago, and ended up with three or four different colors, including bright red, fluorescent orange, brilliant green and white. Big Grin Any of the above will require time to harden and you will need to reapply periodically.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a separate thread I posted my results using Acrylic paint on the front sight of my SS 1911. Acrylic paint is cheap and can be obtained in flourescent colors like pink. You can buy small bottles for about $1 at arts and crafts shops.
try this link:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...201052112#5201052112
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You could always add some Boar Tusk as the sight Ivory was often Warthog anyway

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

I file the very front of all of my round beads flat with just a slight forward/upward slant. I shoot much better and don't have point of impact changes in different lighting conditions like I do with round beads.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

I file the very front of all of my round beads flat with just a slight forward/upward slant. I shoot much better and don't have point of impact changes in different lighting conditions like I do with round beads.

Completely agree with that tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, thank you very much. I will try a drop of White Out to see how that looks.

However, given the small size of the current sights, I like the idea of a larger inclined round, flat faced bead.

Ozhunter, can you let me know who it is at Tamworth please?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fiber optic heathen. At 62 I need to take every advantage if I want to shoot iron sights.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quite awhile ago i put fiber optics on my merkel 470. green in front with an orange one in the bottom of the rear. just put the green on top of the orange. was really fast

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
marty, I agree. You can walk around Africa wearing your puttees and solar toupee (pith helmet) all you want, but when it comes to wounding an animal or losing a trophy I want what works.
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a fluorescent orange front blade sight on my Merkel 470 that was installed by the factory representative here in the U.S. a number of years ago and it makes a huge difference. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old 1908 greener that has a platinum flat front sight. I have found that to be none tarnishing and as visible as any sight I have ever looked at.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
16 years ago in Australia some gents were putting industrial diamonds as a front sight and they swore by its brightness. I saw one on Kim's .500 Jeffery.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
16 years ago in Australia some gents were putting industrial diamonds as a front sight and they swore by its brightness. I saw one on Kim's .500 Jeffery.
Cal

Interesting Cal, I have not heard that before. However the moon sight on the 375 barrels has a clear material insert. Must check and see what it is. With no facets it certainly does not sparkle like a diamond.

Thanks to the gents re the fluoro sights, however, as these are bespoke, I guess I am out of luck with testing them without some reasonable expense!

I will try the white out/paint but I think now the answer may be in attaching a larger flat faced gold bead, inclined forward to the top.

Thanks, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
At one stage Heym offered a Dimond front sight.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal

You mean to say Kim Kardashian has a .500 Jeffery, would be nothing short of a one carat diamond on that front sight. Big Grin

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Cal

You mean to say Kim Kardashian has a .500 Jeffery, would be nothing short of a one carat diamond on that front sight. Big Grin

Yeah, and a huge butt!

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Cal

Almost. A smaller diamond for the sight and the one carat was the flip up night sight when she hunted elephants via spotlight.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Doc:
Could we see pictures of the full rifle for these barrels. The second looks like a HH sight base.
I once saw a vintage English rifle, I think on this site, that had an angled mirror inlett d at the base of the sight to reflect light on the front sight. I thought it was an iligent solution. Maybe more trouble than it is worth. My father in law has warthog ivory beads on all his shotguns. If you have a set lying around.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500, travelling this week but will try and post something.

Both H&H, top one 1906, bottom 1950's.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS