THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Barrel length for new double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length for new double rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife made me buy a new modle Searcy this year. We have ordered the dies and now are looking for brass. The rifle was ordered with 26" barrels. Butch says he can regulate the rifle under 2" at 50 yards and the velocity with 24 vs 26" barrels is negligable. If the 24" gun is lighter and swings easier and with little loss in velocity, would that not be a better deal? I also have an extra set of barrels in 375 flanged Magnum ordered with the rifle. Most english guns came with 26" barrels. Will cutting the barrels of the 375 cut the velocity enough to matter. Butch says he can make the gun feel the same with either barrel set. What do you think?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like the 26" barrels. They seem to carry easier for me than the 24" barrels. I tried carying my PH's 24" barreled DR, - only yards, not miles - and felt more comfortable with the elbow extended more with the longer barrels.

Also I would think that 2" means maybe 40 fps. This can't hurt.

Most importantly I like the looks of 26" barrels.

All this is so minor though, that either choice is going to be a winner.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Leonard!

Get the 26" barrels. You will never regret it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
So your wife made you buy a double huh? And to add insult to injury made you buy an extra set of barrels. My God man, how do you stand to live with that harridan?!!! Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i go for the 24" when I'm using a heavy double i'm in close and personnal and I like the shorter barrels swing. the velocity difference is nil especially at the ranges you're using it at

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
26" on both.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
26" for both. Coach gun barrels are for shotguns.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had both 24" and 26" on doubles. In the heavier calibers I like the 24" but for a 450/400 the 26" would be alright.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26" on both.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
I agree, the 26" barrels would be my choice!

Doc52

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote