New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q For 9.3x74 Owners
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have wanted one for years having been a 9.3x62 user since 2000. Dear wife and I are talking some about our "last family vacation". Two of the three boys are in college and, as I was, not really interested in running around with Mom and Dad "on vacation". As such, we are thinking a trip for plains game in SA. She and I went in 2000. Since I have done it I am thinking I want something different, a handgun hunt or perhaps, getting that 9.3x74 double and taking it along. That said, how do they shoot out past 100 yards, maybe to 150 or 200 yards? I am also thinking elk next year as I should draw my tag. Views appreciated in advance.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I'll be using my new 9.3x74 DR on whitetails for the first time in a few months so have no first hand experience to share, but ...

This thread should help answer your question:

LR accuracy of DR

Good luck and I am pretty certain you will enjoy it.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 has taken an animal out to 281 yards. I am sure he has dome it, I have NO intention of trying it out on an African game animal where I:
A. Run the risk of wounding and then losing it.
B. Throw away the trophy fee
You can certainly sight in one of the barrels for 200 yards, but then, guess what, you have a single shot. Why not just buy a Ruger #1?

Just MHO, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100 yards piss easy with a 9.3 x 74R Double (as long as it shoots).

If you add a scope to it (I think scopes suit 9.3 Double's),
then 200 yards is no problems either.

I would take pigs out to 200 yards (or at least try) with an
open sighted 9.3 x 74R.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my scoped Chapuis 9,3x74T I have taken a coyote at 281 yards, and a kudu at a little over 300 yards.

Both lazered after the shot, both were on film.

I have shot African plains game at around 200 to 225 yards.

But, let the record reflect that I did shoot the double a bunch on paper at 200 ayd 300 yards before I took it to Africa.

I have taken giraffe, cape buff, and elephant, at 5 yards, with it as well.

A scoed 9,3x74R double rifle is a great hunting gun.

I have used it in Texas, Montana, Idaho, and Canada.

Research some of my previous posts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to shoot a large animal at up to 300 yards with my iron sighted Chapuis 9,3.
Rifle shoots so well I have never added the scope mount and scope to it (both are still sitting in the box).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next trip to the panhandle, stop in Boise and you can shoot mine.
Chapuis, in the picture, with 2-7X-33mmLeupold and single, non-selective trigger.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think Rich shot something, I don't remember what, at 1,132 yards.

Blind-folded.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Next trip to the panhandle, stop in Boise and you can shoot mine.
Chapuis, in the picture, with 2-7X-33mmLeupold and single, non-selective trigger.

Rich

Sir,

I do appreciate the offer but I won't be heading to my place up there until next spring as a stop to my drive into BC for a grizzly hunt. I hope to buy the rifle when I am on home leave from KAZ in a month or so. Given all the replies, clearly I need to proceed with the purchase. Especially given that 1132 yard shot. holycow Big Grin

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 05 September 2010 14:53 Hide Post
I think Rich shot something, I don't remember what, at 1,132 yards.

i believe it was an offhand shot at a running jackalope Big Grin flame

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truth be told, it was a little over 1150 yards. Measured with my new Geovids, and confirmed by two ranch hands who were having a pop with me.
I DO have both affidavits in support here somewhere if I can find them.

Rich
hammering

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I'm in. We shoot the 9.3 at 1132yds on the 14th, before or after lunch? Joe

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on what time you boys pull up in the driveway...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will call ya 13th. pm me your ph #, Joe

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
My Ruger No.1 in 9.3x74R shoots well at 200 yards. I also practice shootin off hand and kneeling at 200 yards.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have killed about 100 deer with varius 9.3 x 74R doubles.

I just got back from taking my Heym 37B to Africa for the third time. I have taken, with one shot kills, kudu (2), zebra (4), lion, sable, waterbuck, wildebeast (2), gemsbuck, impala (4), springbuck (3), warthog, hyena. Game taken out to 225 yards without ever thinking of holding high. 2" high at 100 yards = 2" low at 200 yards.

Low pressure, low recoil, wonderful cartridge!!

It will be poison for elk.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how do pairs group at 200 yards?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question Boxhead. i plan on testing that soon.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
So how do pairs group at 200 yards?

Depends on the individual gun and load. Some guns are regulated better than others.

My Heym 37B shoots under 2" right/left at 100 yards (4" at 200 yards) all day long with 286 gr. Nosler Partitions at 2200 FPS. If I can't place the first shot properly with the critter standing broadside, I'm not likely to do better shooting at the south end while it's running north Big Grin.

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DD, but I think that is the point. When regulating doubles, should we be regulating at longer ranges to avoid "the deadly crossing"? It seems to be that your regulation load is diverging. Not badly, of course, but diverging none the less. Should we be finding a good regulation load and then checking it at 100 and 200 yards to make sure it is not crossing? In the case of adjustable doubles eg. Tikka (O/U) and I believe Merkel, we have more flexibility.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Peter

For me, under 4" at 200 yards is minute of whitetail. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, absolutely! I was not criticizing your choice of load or regulation, just asking an academic question: "How do you know your loads are not crossing if you only test to, say, 50 yards. If you can get your loads on papar, should you not be testing at say 100 or even 200 yards"? Of course you now are introducing sighting errors etc. In any case I do plan on testing my 9.3x74R Tikka at 100 and 200 yards and trying to adjust the lower barrel. I need an excuse to shot it anyway!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Don, absolutely! I was not criticizing your choice of load or regulation, just asking an academic question: "How do you know your loads are not crossing if you only test to, say, 50 yards. If you can get your loads on papar, should you not be testing at say 100 or even 200 yards"? Of course you now are introducing sighting errors etc. In any case I do plan on testing my 9.3x74R Tikka at 100 and 200 yards and trying to adjust the lower barrel. I need an excuse to shot it anyway!
Peter.

Sighting errors ?

If you use a pin point target (like a white dot at 6 or 12 o'clock, it makes it a lot easier than trying to shoot at the Black 10 ring).

I think shooting at 100 and 200 yards will also show if you have too large
a bead on the gun or the bead is not angled correctly to reflect the light in the same plane all the time. These can add more variation to the result that holding a 9.3 steady on a bench - which I think most can do being so light in recoil.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Peter

I shoot all of my doubles at 50 and 100 yards and the smaller calibres (.240 flanged to 9.3) out to 200 yards. They are all side by side.

I always shoot at two targets approx. 16" apart. The one on the right for the right barrel and the one on the left for the left barrel. After shooting I overlay the two. There is never a doubt which hole is from which barrel.

If the spread is too far apart I speed the load with more powder or lighter bullet. If they cross I slow it down with less powder or heavier bullet.

I hope that this clarifies.

Deo Vindice,

Don