THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What is the ideal barrel length of a 577 nitro double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the ideal barrel length of a 577 nitro double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A double rifle in 577 NE, regulated for Kynoch 3" case, 750g bullet, to be used on thick skinned animals 40-70 meters distance. What do you think is the ideal barrel length for this double?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
25-26"

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them with 26" barrels.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The .577 is a chunky rifle with big barrels. The shorter the barrels the more chunky the rifle looks. The longer the barrels the more they tend to stretch the look out and give it a better proportioned look. I also think the longer barrels tend to balance the rifle better. Some will argue that the shorter barrels give you more maneuverability. I have always felt that is a bit of a red herring. I have never been in a situation where the difference between success and failure hinged on 1-2" of barrel length (other than perhaps dating).

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put Smiler

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
A double rifle in 577 NE, regulated for Kynoch 3" case, 750g bullet, to be used on thick skinned animals 40-70 meters distance. What do you think is the ideal barrel length for this double?

I was thinking of ordering this rifle with 24" barrels, but opted for the 25" barrels. The rifle balances well, and looks proportioned to me. This is a Heym Jumbo side lock, it weighs 14.25 lbs., and has a stock length of 15.25 inches.n It's recoil is on the order of my .505 Gibbs, (with 600 grain Woodleighs). Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:

What a beauty!!! Thank you and everyone else for the input Smiler

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Looking at pictures of old time elephant hunters who used doubles I find that the 577NE was their smaller rifles, and many were drawn to the very large chamberings in both doubles and single shots.

In most examples I have handled and owned the 577NE rifles sported 26,or 28 inch barrels. Longer they become over balanced in looks, and shorter they look more like coach guns.

If looks is what you are looking for then I would recommend 26 inch barrels. if you think that is too stubby looking that can be changed by having the fore-end made thinner, and shorter. That will give the illusion of longer barrels.

If however what you want is performance even a 24 inch barrel set will completely burn all the powder and a double can be balanced with what ever length you choose. So if performance is your goal anything from 24 inch or longer will give that. If your first choice is looks, then go with longer barrels.

It is up to the buyer how he wants his barrels configured. The earlier the double rifles was made the longer the barrels will be as a rule. This is a hang over from the black powder days when long barrels were needed to burn the larger volume powder charges to get the velocity needed. With modern powders however, these long barrels sometimes even slow the velocity because the barrels have more capacity than is needed to completely burn the powder charges.

None of this matters to most double rifle enthusiasts who care about as much about the looks as they do performance. SOOooooooooooooo, When it boils down to how to order your double rifle I say do it to satisfy yourself, and enjoy your double rifle.

.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Took a look at your album, and I love your garage and cars, especially the Porsche with 600NE plate Smiler Can you please tell me what these two rifles are?

http://s948.photobucket.com/us...zps3bfsil4q.jpg.html

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
quote:

Took a look at your album, and I love your garage and cars, especially the Porsche with 600NE plate Smiler Can you please tell me what these two rifles are?

http://s948.photobucket.com/us...zps3bfsil4q.jpg.html

Hello, Brian564: Those are Bolt Guns from Ryan Breeding. The one on the top is a .505 Gibbs, and the one on the bottom is a .416 Rigby. Here is a photo:

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chip, if you wanted, I believe the Heym 577 is now available on the larger boxlock action, which would probably be $25,000-$30,000 less expensive then the Jumbo sidelock.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifles! Thanks a lot.

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Chip, if you wanted, I believe the Heym 577 is now available on the larger boxlock action, which would probably be $25,000-$30,000 less expensive then the Jumbo sidelock.

Jon: too late.....I paid Chris Sells over 2 years ago....the Jumbo in the picture was finally delivered about 2 months ago. The custom oak and leather display case slowed thins down a little bit....photo follows:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had this discussion with the guys at Westley RIchards when I visited the factory to order my Droplock double.
I handled a number of 577 from 23" to 26" barrels. Without a doubt the Droplock with 23" barrels felt the best by a mile. The 26" looked the best though.
"Trigger" the Gunroom Manager preferred the 23" in the 577 and 24" in 500.
He persuaded against 26 even in the 500 !! We settled on 25" for my 500.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chip, you did great....the Jumbo is the cat's meow, for sure :-)

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 577 one with 24 in barrels, and the other with 25 1/2...I could not ell the difference...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely indeed... Personally I prefer longer barrels, they balance out the look as well as the handling characteristics of the gun in hand...
Ryan Breeding's rifles are very recognizable by his metal coatings and open sights a true working rifle where form and function work together...

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
I would agree that on the .577 23” barrels feel the best as well and are very handy in the thickest of stuff. The 24” is a great compromise especially with regard to the resale factor. The double that Biebs mentioned is a very nice double. The Heym best quality special model Mark Sullivan boxlock with the special 1920s Holland & Holland style stock design is the pinnacle of their boxlocks IMO.

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
The Heym best quality special model Mark Sullivan boxlock with the special 1920s Holland & Holland style stock design is the pinnacle of their boxlocks IMO.

Surely they are not putting 23" barrels on that rifle. Sacrilege.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
The Heym best quality special model Mark Sullivan boxlock with the special 1920s Holland & Holland style stock design is the pinnacle of their boxlocks IMO.

Surely they are not putting 23" barrels on that rifle. Sacrilege.

LOL..Well yes Mike that is the base barrel length on that boxlock model and also on that base model in a sidelock but as you know with Heym...you can have your double rifle any way that you want it. :0) (I went with 24" barrels)

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577's are big guns using large powder charges and I have found 27 inch barrels on them to be just right. They would seem to be too long on smaller guns but on these, it seems to me that they get better burns of the powder and the little bit of extra weight doesn't hurt any either. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ChipB, just reread this thread after some time. As much as I love custom bolt guns and double rifles, your 1964 Galaxy is over the top. What's the story?

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
For me--it's 24 inches.
My 4-bore is 28", my .600 is 26"
I'm currently in the market for a good used hack saw.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
For me--it's 24 inches.
My 4-bore is 28", my .600 is 26"
I'm currently in the market for a good used hack saw.
Cal

I've got a nice Milwaukee Chop Saw that will whack off a few inches from them Cal.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, you must be a Mark Sullivan wanna-be! Didn't he cut down the barrels on his Marcel Thys 600 NE to 20" ?

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal, you must be a Mark Sullivan wanna-be! Didn't he cut down the barrels on his Marcel Thys 600 NE to 20" ?

Oh my. Cutting the barrels that short is like a sex change operation; there is just no going back.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
No problem! I can weld the parts back together and smooth the welds down with a dremel tool. Big Grin
Regulation will be done the same way.

Nothing but the best for Cal! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I've had both of mine made at 25". Just got word that my new one is done and should be shipping shortly.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the weight of the 577 I would opt for 24 inch barrels..

I have only owned one double with 20 inch barrels and it was a 450-400 and was the best balanced double rifle I have ever owned and the most accurate, probably because of the short stiff tubes. It was the only one I have ever seen in fact..Every one that handled it was amazed..I wonder how many on this forum have ever really shot a short tubed double..It might be a wake up call. I often wished I hadn't sold it, and if I ever have another built it will be a 20 inch in 450-3 1/4" N.E. they handle and point so easy and very fast on target, just no downside other than "it just can't be cuz its so unenglish!" sofa I bought it from one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known who has hunted with me a dozen times and an old AR enthusiast, but have not seen him on here for awhile, but he is at DAllas every year.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
quote:

Oh my. Cutting the barrels that short is like a sex change operation; there is just no going back.

I realize that Biebs was just giving Cal a nice ribbing but I happen to have a little knowledge regarding Mark’s .600 Thys that I would be happy to share. That double was a 1996 version I believe and came with barrels that were ridiculously long IMO for that rifle. They were 27.25” in length. Mark had them cut down to 24” which made the rifle balance properly and improved the handling quite nicely.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebs ribs eberyone. He has some issues to deal with, the major one is Bruce Jenner beat him to the change and is getting all the publicity.

If he gives me any more crap, I will post on social media it was him that killed the beloved lion. With a Blaser.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowgun:
ChipB, just reread this thread after some time. As much as I love custom bolt guns and double rifles, your 1964 Galaxy is over the top. What's the story?

Hi, lowgun: sorry about the tardy reply. Unfortunately, the Galaxy is not mine....I saw it at the Barrett Jackson Car Auction last year here in Scottsdale. I think this is the link to the original discussion:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1006931/m/4091065702

Cheers. Chip.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Considering the problem of holding a lot of weight out in front of you and the gas-expansion values of the .577 bore, I'm surprised short barrels have not been supported more here.

IIRC Jeffery advertised .600 NE doubles with 22-inch barrels before WWI. My .450/.400 feels too long at 26 inches (though I wouldn't have it shorter because of the marginal power), so I'd hate to hold a long .577 on target for too long.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If I was to get a 577 It would predominantly be used on Ele (early season tool) and Buff.
In that early season dense cover I would pick the shorter and handy 24" barrels

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Westley Richards 470 Droplock built for a maharajah. It balances perfectly and you would never know the barrels were not 26".
Simon at Westley told me that was his favorite length as hunting elephant is close range work.
It depends who builds the weapon, it could feel like a wand or feel like a club.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:
Brian564

As jaz, said depends who builds the rifle. I had my 577's barrel shortened by an inch and a bit. Made the world of difference. Before its was okay but after the barrel alteration it changed character completely! Has no idea it would make such a difference.

Can't remember the original barrel length only recall an inch and bit (1/2") was removed, it's now precisely 630mm/24.8".

750gr Triple shock X bullet goes clean through a buff broadside which is works wonders for back-up and bad angles...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/a...3222_zpspdhz1saw.jpg

Enjoy the 577!