New
Find
Notify
Tools

450NE. Vs 470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been thinking that there is nearly no difference between the two. But the 470 seems to be much more popular. I don't see why with the availability of 45 cal bullets and selection of such being better. What's your thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good question.

Too bad we no longer have Cal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and based on effectiveness there is no real difference. To me what it comes down to is if you seldom shoot the double, use factory ammunition, and want the best resale value the 470 is the way to go. If you shoot the double a lot, handload, and like the wide selection of .458 bullets the 450 is the way to go.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
While both have a similar effect on Buffalo, the 450NE can be had in a slimmer more lively rifle, as it has a much smaller case head, the .470NE is on the .500NE case head !

Saying that gbs may well have the right idea with his thoughts !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Sarg said.....
Own a 1903 Gibbs in 450NE with 28" Barrels carries points and shoots like a shotgun

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I chose the 450 (and I have had 3 of them) for reasons outlined above; Of course I handload, and the availability of bullets is far greater. Any ballistic different is all in your head. Not case head. I think the 470 became popular just because 47 was bigger than 45 and guys back then didn't know ballistics.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I personally chose the 450 because it was a straightwall case (legal for deer) but just couldn't quit wondering what other more experienced double rifle shooters thought on the matter

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The 470NE came about in the early days when anything of 450 calibre was banned in many countries/colonies that were experiencing civil or colonial unrest and where the military rifles were all generally 450 calibre i.e. authorities didn't want ammunition floating around where components could be used to load ammunition for military rifles being used in the 'wrong' hands.

The 465 and 475 in their variations also came about for the same reason.

By the time these bans were lifted the 470 had very well established itself as the best of the various work around cartridges and also gave better performance than any of the 450's.

As we have seen with the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery cartridges, once a good reputation and perhaps a dose of nostalgia is established these sort of cartridges still enjoy great following, if not resurgence, and are not overshadowed by any of the new pretenders.
I imagine the 470NE will outlive many of the old and new DG cartridges.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
The 470NE came about in the early days when anything of 450 calibre was banned in many countries/colonies that were experiencing civil or colonial unrest and where the military rifles were all generally 450 calibre i.e. authorities didn't want ammunition floating around where components could be used to load ammunition for military rifles being used in the 'wrong' hands.

The 465 and 475 in their variations also came about for the same reason.

By the time these bans were lifted the 470 had very well established itself as the best of the various work around cartridges and also gave better performance than any of the 450's.

As we have seen with the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery cartridges, once a good reputation and perhaps a dose of nostalgia is established these sort of cartridges still enjoy great following, if not resurgence, and are not overshadowed by any of the new pretenders.
I imagine the 470NE will outlive many of the old and new DG cartridges.

This ^^^^^

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am no double rifle expert, but I have owned and do own a few.

I don't think there's any significant difference between any of the big .450s, the .465, the .470, the .475s, the .476, etc. (the etc. is in case I missed one or two).

That goes for any of the 3 or 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch cased versions.

I think only the 3 inch cased .500 is a step up.

I have gone and will go with the .470, however, because of the abundance of available factory ammunition and reloading components.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I chose the 450 (and I have had 3 of them) for reasons outlined above; Of course I handload, and the availability of bullets is far greater. Any ballistic different is all in your head. Not case head. I think the 470 became popular just because 47 was bigger than 45 and guys back then didn't know ballistics.

Not the reason for the 470.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
If you reload I would do the 450. If not 470 for sure.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, or 577?

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mac, or 577?

He didn’t ask about a 577.

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
6 of one, half dozen of the other!! 470 is more practical and ammo comes easier in the the 4 corners of the world..I liked my 450-3-1/4" best, but that was the best gun itself, not the caliber.
sold it years ago, traded the 470 off to Butch for a 450-400-3", my all time favorite, that worked as well on DG as any other double caliber Ive used.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ha be had several in 450 NE. I think that the option of more bullet choices makes it a better option. Power wise they are quite similar.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Not much today either.

Imagine the number of people who actually say they see a difference in performance between a 375, 426 and 458 rifles! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
sold it years ago, traded the 470 off to Butch for a 450-400-3", my all time favorite, that worked as well on DG as any other double caliber Ive used.

Yep! Love my Searcy 450-400! Damn, that's an accurate double! But, I also love my 375 Flanged double as well! By the way, I also own a 470 NE, but the 450-400 and the 375 Flanged get used most of the time!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I too really like the 450-400; no recoil. Compared to a 500.
Yes I know the 450 was banned in India; but nowadays, there is no reason for it to exist. For me.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume your referring to the 450#1 correct?

Brass can be a real problem, and there is no better double rifle calibers than the 470 and/or the 450-400-3" in my opinnion from a practical point of view..Most double calibers are about the same in the field, truth known..the rest is hockey poot.. :sti

The best doubles Ive seen and the ones I liked best, and if I had to pick one only would be the 450-3 1/4" or the 450-400-3" ??? but without doubt the 470 would be the most intelligent and practical pick..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote