THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bror Blixen’s H&H .577 up on the auction block...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bror Blixen’s H&H .577 up on the auction block...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://auctions.morphyauction..._NITR-LOT504342.aspx

Have to be this will end up in the collection of Bill.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks someone had a bunch of rifles consigned at country pursuits with ridiculous price tags and they are ready to cash out.

In the same auction there are at least 7 rifles from that place.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What's the provenance of the rifle? Inlay is not engraved, don't show the case as initialed for him?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
It looks someone had a bunch of rifles consigned at country pursuits with ridiculous price tags and they are ready to cash out.

In the same auction there are at least 7 rifles from that place.

Country Pursuits, like many other new-comers (wannabes) to the high end market jack their prices to impress those who will spend more than the firearm is worth to impress their egos. Such shops come and go but none will ever be the equal of a fine London shop.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much did it end up selling for?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
$135K hammer
I think that was a good deal for the buyer.

Posts: 3235 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
It was priced at $175k at the 2019 Dallas Safari Club meeting when I saw it and the factory letter in person. If I had the means, I would have owned it...

RC

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That a good deal. I would have been tempted if I was a rich man.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle, just don't know if I could bring myself to hunt with it. Not the bush bashing so much as the airline travails!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
$135K hammer
I think that was a good deal for the buyer.

Once you add the buyer's premium, you're pushing $170,000.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks restocked to me.

Posts: 2534 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shocked to learn that MORPHY'S Buyer's Premium is 20%.... plus 3% if on your Plastic!! That stopped me in my tracks on another double in this auction!! A bit greedy IMHO!! Wonder what the Seller pays??

I understand that the leader of Country Pursuits is Bob Pearson from the New York Holland and Holland store. He left and Guy went down to run the new Dallas shop!!

That 577 was indeed a fine piece with provenance!!

This follows right on with my commentary on declining prices on doubles when the real prices are known. A very nice VC SxS double, ejector 375FlMag sold in the same auction at $8000 +BP.....

470EDDY

Posts: 2550 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Verney Carron was a good deal, it was retailed at $14,500 before the shop went under and their inventory went to auction.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I thought so too. Very nice rifle though.

quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Looks restocked to me.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote