THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any idea of when this was reproofed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any idea of when this was reproofed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks in advance! (28” smooth bore ball gun)

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Latest maybe 1954?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. Looks like between 1925 and 1954 perhaps. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That’s what it looks like to me. It does have earlier marks as well, but lacks the little square from after.

Do you know if it’s been to Belgium or Germany? The crown over R looks like those repair marks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the history. There is a Crown over R Birmingham proof mark for black powder rifles used until 1925. This is a smooth bore ball gun so they may have considered it a “rifle” or proofed it as such.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The British proof law in effect between 1925 and 1954 (Birmingham: crowns-over-BV, BP, and NP) did include a crown-over-R for

"Re-proof mark. Seen on black powder rifles which the owner had proofed with nitro powders. Such guns must also carry the "NP" mark. Also seen on repaired guns which require re-proof."

From Wirnsberger's "Standard directory of proof marks", p108, with an additional comment on p113 further indicating it wasn't just for rifles.

The original proofs, including the 8-over-C in a diamond, were used from 1887 until 1904.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Holy heck Kynoch, very teasing of you, showing only the proof marks of a 8 bore Double !

Could you please post some more photos & some of the whole Rifle/Gun ?

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here you go Sarg. The gun has 28” barrels with nice bores. It’s lighter than I would like for an 8 bore at 13 lbs but I’m hoping that it’s regulated for the lighter load. It does balance well. The front site is ramped with a white bead but no rear sight per se. When you mount the gun however, the grooved rib/action serves as a reference point - almost like a semi buckhorn sight. I tried to show this in one of the pics. It should be an adequate sight arrangement for the range of a smoothbore gun. The gun is marked “S.W. Silver” (of Silver’s pad fame). Not sure if they actually built the gun or it was built for them and marketed by them. It’s my first 8 bore. It arrived this week, and I’m quite happy to have it.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kynoch, looks like great fun & yes that is light, my 12 Bore rifle is near 15lbs !

Looks like a early gun & maybe a conversion of some type, maybe why it was reproofed ?

Thanks again !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sarg. It’s certainly on the lighter side at 13 lbs. I’ve seen others in that range though. It’s definitely on the other end of the spectrum when I compare it to my 10.5 lb two dram 12b (1.875” case).

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As I remember the case length was added as per Rules of 1924. Definitely post '24.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote