Find
Notify
Tools

An Evening Stroll
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
(for the DR fellows that don't visit the Hog forum)

After dinner this evening, I decided to take a walk and see what there was to see. As spring has been bumping up against summer around here the past week or so, I was dressed as much for chasing elephant in Miatengwe as for anything Coleman County has to offer…climate and vegetation being similar. Shorts, gaiters, culling belt, binos, double rifle…yep, if I stumbled across an errant Ndlovu I’d be kitted out just fine…

The wind was still ripping as it’d been all day, a recipe for skittish animals. As proof, a hog sprinted across a flat 150 yards ahead of me…and there was NO way that he’d either seen or winded me. He was just LEAVING.

Since he’d headed west, I’d do the same. I waited a few minutes, then made my way across the same flat. Stepping across a dry wash, I made my way toward the side of a rocky ridge ahead of me. Following a game trail through the mesquite and greenbriar, I slowly worked my way toward the top of the ridge. Two thirds of the way up, I heard hogs in the thick stuff to my north and downslope from me. Quickly easing forward, I found another trail coming up from below…and hog sounds approaching.

Slipping the safety on my SIACE .45-70 double, I watched several hogs working their way up the slope through the tangle of oaks and greenbriar. As the wind was in my favor, I let them come to about 30 steps and them put the right barrel thru the top of the lead pig’s head, dropping it on the spot. The second hog, likely a sister to the first, wasn’t sure what had just happened but was determined to get clear of the wrath that had just descended on its littermate, and charged past it up the slope. Swinging with the moving hog, I fired the left barrel as the second pig’s head cleared the brush and watched it fall. Break the gun, dump the empty cases, reload…listening to the rest of the bunch trying to put a zip code between me and them.

Easy, peasy, Japaneazy. Except now I had photos to take and a green hell between me and my subjects. I got it done, but when finished I looked exactly like I HAD been hunting Miatengwe…and the wait-a-bit had taken their toll! Fair enough…blood for blood…Africa OR Texas.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Look like good eating size pigs!

Warm weather or not, Africa or Texas, I learned the hard way NOT to venture into the brush with short legged or short sleeved sleeved clothing.
Besides , the blood attracts flies.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
I hear you about the shorts, but I'd rather bleed than sweat, I guess! I've finished safaris and had my lower legs look like the scratching posts of two meth-addicted cats...but I got around in the thick stuff quieter.

And, heck, EVERYTHING draws flies!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Cool and thanks for sharing, nice that you can slip that gear on, go for a stroll of an evening and use your DR!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lease outside of Coleman and I am looking forward to getting down for some pig hunting with my double rifle as soon as turkey season is over.

Good sport and I enjoyed your post.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
GBS,

There's still a couple (million) left...but don't wait too long!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Good fun,thanks for posting,a DR in 45-70 is on my bucket list.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Good fun,thanks for posting,a DR in 45-70 is on my bucket list.

Yes, they are handy and usually only one shot does the job.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys in Texas are really lucky; we have 22 MILLION pigs just a few miles from me. But you can't hunt them.
And you have smoked brisket; we have it but no one North of Dallas knows how to make it right. Not even there.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Your injuries look even worse than I've suffered from the blackberry tangles in our deer country. Several times before getting gaters and secateurs I returned with legs resembling Christ scarified.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Truth be told, my bloody arms and shins look far, far worse than they are.

I suffer from a malady common to menfolks with enough gray in what remains of their hair: old man skin! These days, I'll find a drop or three of blood and discover that I'm dripping from scratch on another...and won't even know what / when it happened!

Mark

DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
(for the DR fellows that don't visit the Hog forum)

After dinner this evening, I decided to take a walk and see what there was to see. As spring has been bumping up against summer around here the past week or so, I was dressed as much for chasing elephant in Miatengwe as for anything Coleman County has to offer…climate and vegetation being similar. Shorts, gaiters, culling belt, binos, double rifle…yep, if I stumbled across an errant Ndlovu I’d be kitted out just fine…

The wind was still ripping as it’d been all day, a recipe for skittish animals. As proof, a hog sprinted across a flat 150 yards ahead of me…and there was NO way that he’d either seen or winded me. He was just LEAVING.

Since he’d headed west, I’d do the same. I waited a few minutes, then made my way across the same flat. Stepping across a dry wash, I made my way toward the side of a rocky ridge ahead of me. Following a game trail through the mesquite and greenbriar, I slowly worked my way toward the top of the ridge. Two thirds of the way up, I heard hogs in the thick stuff to my north and downslope from me. Quickly easing forward, I found another trail coming up from below…and hog sounds approaching.

Slipping the safety on my SIACE .45-70 double, I watched several hogs working their way up the slope through the tangle of oaks and greenbriar. As the wind was in my favor, I let them come to about 30 steps and them put the right barrel thru the top of the lead pig’s head, dropping it on the spot. The second hog, likely a sister to the first, wasn’t sure what had just happened but was determined to get clear of the wrath that had just descended on its littermate, and charged past it up the slope. Swinging with the moving hog, I fired the left barrel as the second pig’s head cleared the brush and watched it fall. Break the gun, dump the empty cases, reload…listening to the rest of the bunch trying to put a zip code between me and them.

Easy, peasy, Japaneazy. Except now I had photos to take and a green hell between me and my subjects. I got it done, but when finished I looked exactly like I HAD been hunting Miatengwe…and the wait-a-bit had taken their toll! Fair enough…blood for blood…Africa OR Texas.

Mark

218BEE The picture above brings back some memories because that is the way my body looked all the time back in the 1930s, and early 40s growing up hunting in Coleman County as a kid. Briars and bull nettles, along with yellow jackets kept me cut, bruised, or swollen all the time!

Nice porkers! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote