THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another for the dumb question dept
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another for the dumb question dept
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Credit to Brian for title to this post.
So, I see the occasional scoped double for sale. Sometimes a double was set up for a scope that is no longer with the rifle. My question is how hard is it to get a double to regulate a load for the scope and the irons? Is this difficult? Nearly impossible? Easy?

I can still see irons as I am just now having to use readers but I fear I may have trouble sooner rather than later.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
No way to tell,each rifle is different & so is scope weight,you just have to try your loads & see what works.
what a lot of us have done is use red dot sights,very light,I am talking mini red dot sights,no change in regulation whatsoever for me with multiple guns so far.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Regulation with both irons and a scope can be done with fair accuracy. Best accuracy is with one or the other.

My solution is this:
Keep the best regulation with iron sights. Mount the scope and use the scope for dead on accuracy with one barrel only. I fire the left barrel first so my scope sighted left barrel is a very accurate single shot. Best shot was a huge hartebeest at 214 yards. At long range plains game the instant second shot is not needed. If movign in close, remove the scope and double barrel accuracy is there if needed.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered a red dot sight due to my aging eyes and am looking forward to trying it. Another Rx. is to go an aperture sight. I now am trying Skinner sights. Also, some times you can move the rear open sight forward, away from your eye, a couple of inches, to take the fuzz off if. I like yellow shooting glasses to reduce the fuzz on the open sights. Next thing I am trying with open sights is a small stick-on, 1.25x, magnifier lens placed near the top of the right lens of my shooting glasses. It might work for big close animals like buffalo. ( It clears up the open sights but makes the target a bit fuzzy.)

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. JB

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I recently ordered a red dot sight due to my aging eyes and am looking forward to trying it. Another Rx. is to go an aperture sight. I now am trying Skinner sights. Also, some times you can move the rear open sight forward, away from your eye, a couple of inches, to take the fuzz off if. I like yellow shooting glasses to reduce the fuzz on the open sights. Next thing I am trying with open sights is a small stick-on, 1.25x, magnifier lens placed near the top of the right lens of my shooting glasses. It might work for big close animals like buffalo. ( It clears up the open sights but makes the target a bit fuzzy.)

I put a Skinner aperture sight on my Model 70 416 REM and am very happy with it. Makes 100 yard shots easy.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote