Notify
Tools

Lead cast for 9.3 x 74 R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Hello Folks:

Looking for a plinking load for my Merkel DR 9.3 x 74 R using lead cast bullets.

Anyone have any recommendations for a bullet and load? Would also love to use it for deer hunting in Alberta. Furthest shot would be 100m. I live in a forest. LOL

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
No one has any suggestions?

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I had a 9.3x74 Chapius, for plinking I used Prvi Partisans, cheap,I have shot cast out of a 470 but do not do that anymore either,the 9.3 is regulated at about 2300? A little too fast for lead & if you slow the loads down? They will not regulate!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Chapuis as well in our group buy in 07 I think. I cast for it using linotype,that will handle the MV. I sold the rifle a few years ago/w the mould but if memory serves it was 286 G. I don't remember my load but it was most likely 5744;I load almost all of my rifle cast calibres using this powder.BTW if you are unsure you can call heir 1 800 # + their ballistician will give you the loading data.A very customer friendly organization.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Good results with a reduced load using Blue Dot / dacron filler and jacketed 285gr PRVI bullets from my 9.3x74R Ruger No.1-S. Low velocity. Should work not too bad for cast as well.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Oh this is great. Thanks.

Anyone else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not lead,,but I use 95gr jacketed HP pistol bullets (Hornady) intended for the 9mm Makarov pistol.
They are ,365d
Loaded with 12gr of RedDot (no filler) they shoot to POA at 50m in my German DR with the 100M sight leaf raised.

There's a little cannelure groove in the side of the auto pistol jacketd bullets so you can crimp them lightly if you want to. But I just let the case neck tension hold them and straighten out the slight flare in the mouth when seating. There is little recoil.
Fun shooting and they zip right along.

There are several of the cast bullet suppliers that sell Makarov cast & lubed bullets too but I've never used any of them.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
What a novel idea.

I used to do the same thing but with a 303. there was a pistol bullet available in .313 at 95 grains that would fit nicely in to a .303 cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
I am resurecting this thread because I am going a slightly different direction: paper patching.

A friend sent me some paper patched bullets in .367 diameter. Lands and grooves measure .356 and.366 in both barrels.

From reading Paul Mathew`s book on paper patching, he says you can drive paper patched as fast as jacketed bullets.

Anyone else tried paper patched loads with their doubles.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Try this

https://missouribullet.com/det...egory=6&secondary=36

Powder coated cast bullets are so easy and far less messy.

You should be able to get 2200 fps & hope you can get reasonable regulation at 100 meters.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Have you tried powder coated in your double? If so, how was it?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Without reading this thread, you will encounter a lot of frustration and probable failure trying to get a cast bullet to go fast enough, accurately enough, to regulate a 9.3.
maybe shoot one barrel only, a bad idea.
If you want to shoot lead bullets, get a BPE rifle.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have no trouble with Hard Cast Gas Checked Coated (polymer powder/boron mix) routinely getting above 2500 fps with no leading/coating of the bore(s)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, have not heard of that coating.
He wants to use it for deer hunting though, for which a hard bullet would be unsuitable.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The polymer powder coatings work well on soft lead as well-
so Gas Check on a Softer Cast and then coat should work.

Just using clear powder coat polymer and adding in HBN powder to it - then coating and cooking around 375-400F

They come out sort of a clear-greyish color , instead of the hot pinks, fuschia , magenta--etc
That so many of the cast coaters are using

Not certain that the HBN helps in this scenario--

Had stated HBN coating my match bullets several year back--
Had the HBN left over --

That's how it started
---------------------------------------------------
decent write up (some one else)

https://www.mp-molds.com/tipst...ry-tumble-dt-method/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read indicates one can take a paper patched bullet of soft lead and drive it at jacketed velocity with no leading. I am hoping someone here might have tried this already and enlighten me as to their success or failure.

kind regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye:

Have you shot these bullets in your double? And you say you are using gas checks? copper or do you make your own?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
currently shooting the coated bullets in a
375 Flanged Magnum DR and other rifles-
(have sold the 9.3)

copper gas check, think these were from Speer (do not recall with certainty)

have shot paper patched from several rifles (BPCR),
decided it was too much work for an old man
that is interested more in shooting
than being historically correct

the coating method is easier and requires less coordination and eyesight magnification

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye:

And that is exactly the info I am looking for.

I am looking for results with the least agrivation possible.

Paper patching would be all right but if I can get results from pc bullets, it would be the easier way to go. And I don't need any specialty molds.

Thanks for the advice.

Kind regards,

carpediem

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
most welcome
the "painted" cast bullets have been a great find for me
particular because of my "odd" caliber rifles

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I had a 9.3x74 Chapius, for plinking I used Prvi Partisans, cheap,I have shot cast out of a 470 but do not do that anymore either,the 9.3 is regulated at about 2300? A little too fast for lead & if you slow the loads down? They will not regulate!

There's your answer Carpediem4570! You may gain back regulation with paper patch lead bullets to gain enough speed to cause regulation, but I doubt it.

…...…………………...……...……….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye, thanks for the link to that powder coating page. Very interesting. I wonder if it is safe to do in your kitchen oven.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, I assume by your query that you have a set of moulding blocks. If not I think I still have mine from when we did the group buy on the Chaspuis dbls several years ago. If you need, I can lend you mine for as long as you need (providing I can find them in all my moulds) Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
DuggaBoye, thanks for the link to that powder coating page. Very interesting. I wonder if it is safe to do in your kitchen oven.

I do not. (would not)

I have purchased from Goodwill Thrift-
two convection toaster ovens (like new) for near nothing.
i open the Garage door and "cook" out there.

I also melt the linotype and lead there with a Lee melter
in the past i had a fancy cast/pour commercial high capacity melter

i only dabble know

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
This is my second shooting season of powder coating. Absolutely love it. So much so I sold my RCBS lube-size machine with all the lube, top punches, dies, and heater.

A new batch of powder came yesterday and I have 200+ 4-bore balls to coat in a few days. I bought a cheap toaster oven at Salvation Army.

Then, shoot them over the Lab Radar with 10, 12, 14, and 16 drams. All the work has been done with smokeless Blue Dot.

Wheel weights are fine but for the older doubles I use 50-50 WW and soft lead. My first shots with a new bpe double is always with soft lead only.

The 4-bore was to come with me to South Africa this year but plans change. If travel is on and borders are open muy .600 and .450-400 will come to Zimbabwe with me again.

Cheers, gents, and do play with powder coating.
Cal

PS. My only advice is to use powder coat of some color. Clear or gray will not let you see visually if you have a complete coating. I use black.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have purchased from Goodwill Thrift-
two convection toaster ovens (like new) for near nothing.
i open the Garage door and "cook" out there.

That is one project I still want to get done.
Build a framed box on casters that will hold an oven - roll it outside for baking PC bullets.
We have Habitiat for Humanity stores here and of course Craigslist. No problem finding a suitable oven for $20.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Bit of an update.

Took the Merkel out the other day to shoot some of my hunting loads: 9.3x74R 270 grain Speer Hot Cor over 53 grains of Varget with a foctory crimp and WLR primer.

They print an inch apart at 100 M.

Had some 270 grain lead cast gas check bullets with 50 grains of Varget with a factory crimp and WLR primer.

The lead cast shot almost to the same point of impact as the jacketed bullets. The bores were beautifully clean. No lead at all.

I am excited. There is great opportunity here to load lead cast.

Next batch to go through the gun will be paper patched 290 grain bullets over 52.0 grains of varget with a factory crimp and WLR primer.

Stay tuned.

Will also post targets later.