THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What is H and H .577 NE used by Baron Bror Blixen worth? At DSC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is H and H .577 NE used by Baron Bror Blixen worth? At DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rife was on display at DSC but not as known as eg Hemingway s . Built 1932. Seemed reasonable condition. What if it could talk!

How much does provenance add to value?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are asking $175,000.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can we see pictures of this double ???

Does anyone know how it got from Bror's hands to Dallas ????

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn! What a rifle to have...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Colin Masters for the link.

It's a beautiful old gun even without the Blixen links.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is actually another Blixen rifle.

Here is the one in question. https://www.cpoutfitters.com/H...le-p/hhryldbr577.htm

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:

If that rifle once belonged to GOD, I wouldn't pay $175,000 for it!
…………………………………...…………...... cuckoo old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
We all know God prefers Purdey doubles. He could never have owned this rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:

If that rifle once belonged to GOD, I wouldn't pay $175,000 for it!
…………………………………...…………...... cuckoo old

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was allowed to put it together and look over it. For its history it looked like in good condition. Crowns are good and rifling looked fine. Apparently it belonged to a hunter in Georgia and was brought to DSC. Appreciate your comment Mac. Was hoping Cal Pappas would comment.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
A Purdey in .500/.465? Wasn't that a Holland & Holland proprietary cartridge? How did the system work? Were ordinary mortals allowed to buy ammo in that calibre or did they have to go through H&H?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It solely depends on the buyer, It should be worth something if documented, but I wouldn't pay much more than market value for it..Maybe a grand or two..it does have some plus market value with that history to some people, others not, so your clientele is some less for such. Those that wouldn't pay something don't count..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you leave the .45 caliber Nitro realm and start getting bigger prices go up quick. That gun is something special. Very few .577 100/750 guns were built in period. Condition is remarkable as is the history. NOT just another double rifle. 175K? That is a lot of loot. What would the cost of a new one be? Far higher I am afraid. Value is relative. I'm not a buyer but I think if I had it for sale I would start it out around that price. I bet reasonable offers are excepted. I sure would like to shoot it......

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
To be clear this is a H&H Royal in 577, there are very few of these, PERIOD!!
It is a very nice piece, no questions, I did pick up the stock but didn't put it together to check tight fit??
You all have probably shopped the Country Pursuits prices on Guns International...they are always over the top!!... I don't know what they sell them for...but obviously shopping for Texas oilmen, Sheiks and Princes!!...just like many other brokers...the double market is in free fall as we speak...so who knows....I guess your offer is based on- "If it feels good, DO IT!!"
If there were a copy of his book autographed and the rifle was pictured in the FAMOUS book...well maybe a few more bucks??
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I can see paying that for this rifle over the same for ANY shotgun, and you see those in this price range all the time!

He must have barely used this rifle or has it been restocked/refinished?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
the double market is in free fall as we speak...so who knows....I guess your offer is based on- "If it feels good, DO IT!!"

Someone needs to tell the folks selling the doubles rifles about the market.

I'm a willing buyer and have been looking for a while. But I haven't found any really good buys.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God told me that he shoots a single shot. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
God told me that he shoots a single shot. Brian

A Holland and Holland Woodward 500/450 no less.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The real prices are on the auction blocks.

I just bought a pristine Jeffrey boxlock, engraved, 450-400 3" at a hammer of $7500, plus buyers premium of 5% and shipping.... thanks to Colin Masters PM to me on the auction. There were 3 on that auction, I got the unaltered and I think best!! Thanks again Colin.
It will go to Selous for Buff in September! !

Just make reasonable offers that make you feel GOOD...the brokers will listen...once they have heard it a few times... they have to eat too!!

I figure I am old enough now that I must be careful on buying, I won't live through another market cycle....if there is one??

The present closures or import restrictions on Dangerous Game, and the new generations attitudes on guns, or only black guns is driving the heavy caliber rifle market DOWN, DOWN, DOWN!!

If you look at the Broker's websites, you will see BIG OUTSTANDING COLLECTIONS coming to market... Steve Barnett, Wm.Larkin Moore... there are more to come too... and I see little interest, so lower prices as estates push to sell, and the kids want their inheritance...not dad's or grandpa's guns...
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The real prices are on the auction blocks.

I just bought a pristine Jeffrey boxlock, engraved, 450-400 3" at a hammer of $7500, plus buyers premium of 5% and shipping.... thanks to Colin Masters PM to me on the auction. There were 3 on that auction, I got the unaltered and I think best!! Thanks again Colin.
It will go to Selous for Buff in September! !

Just make reasonable offers that make you feel GOOD...the brokers will listen...once they have heard it a few times... they have to eat too!!

I figure I am old enough now that I must be careful on buying, I won't live through another market cycle....if there is one??

The present closures or import restrictions on Dangerous Game, and the new generations attitudes on guns, or only black guns is driving the heavy caliber rifle market DOWN, DOWN, DOWN!!

If you look at the Broker's websites, you will see BIG OUTSTANDING COLLECTIONS coming to market... Steve Barnett, Wm.Larkin Moore... there are more to come too... and I see little interest, so lower prices as estates push to sell, and the kids want their inheritance...not dad's or grandpa's guns...

Very true...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote