THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Preferred soft case for double in the truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred soft case for double in the truck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the preferred soft case for protecting the gun in the safari truck?

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I prefer a good quality gunslip like the ones Red Oxx used to make. It can be rolled up, is not bulky and takes up very little room in the suitcase/gun case. It can also be removed very quickly.

Red Oxx stopped making them but I asked about it recently and they said they will make them if an order is for 10 or more.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used good old Bulldog cases for the last 15 years in Africa. Never had a problem with any of my expensive double rifles or bolt actions taking any abuse, whether riding on the back of the truck in the gun rack or by my side, or up front in the cab.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red Oxx quit making their slips? That's terrible news. I've bought a lot of them, but only have one currently. They never make it back from Africa -- PH snags them every time.

Posts: 9944 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I think it is one of the best gun slips made. I asked them about it at DSC this year and they said not enough demand but would make them in any color for an order of 10 or more.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I got a cape buff skin case from African Sporting Creations, took it on a buff hunt in Zim. It rode in the truck daily. Did well and looked great.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not put any optics on your double any "Good" Shotgun case will do the trick

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:

I prefer a good quality gunslip like the ones Red Oxx used to make. It can be rolled up, is not bulky and takes up very little room in the suitcase/gun case. It can also be removed very quickly.

+1, I believe they called it the flat dog gun slip.

Mike

Posts: 21065 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to stay away from ones that have zippers.
The zippers give out before the case does.I have a bulldog case and the zipper broke.The zipper on my Ace case is till holding.I use these cases every week.The best slip I have is one I bought from Andy Hunter in Zim,made from my buff hide.I had wish I bought another from him.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Red Oxx gun slip.
I had 2 but let one get away.

I will participate in a group order, will order as many as 2, but definitely 1.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not showing on the Red Oxx website any longer.

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I like to stay away from ones that have zippers.
The zippers give out before the case does.I have a bulldog case and the zipper broke.The zipper on my Ace case is till holding.I use these cases every week.The best slip I have is one I bought from Andy Hunter in Zim,made from my buff hide.I had wish I bought another from him.

There are zippers and there are zippers, from cheap shitty ones that jam or jump a tooth, to the more rugged ones that almost last forever.

Go with the original until it packs up then have it replaced with a heavy-duty plastic one; rub the teeth with ordinary bath soap once in a while and it will run smooth and last a lifetime.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to others, I've never lost a single zipper on my Bulldog cases and they've taken some serious shit on my African hunts for the last 15 years. I have two specific ones that have been with me to Africa, Alaska and Mexico, as well as to the Central and Western U.S. I guess it depends on which Bulldog cases you purchase, or on any case for that matter. I have so many gun cases from various manufacturers that I could open a store and sell them-I also have a number of custom ones that are made out of Buffalo, Hippo, Rhino and Elephant. All of them have zippers. Big Grin Each to their own-what works for one may not work for another. That's what makes the world go around. tu2

posted Hide Post
Take whatever gun sleeve you like but make sure it has a brass zipper. Those you can open very quietly - plastic zippers are impossible to open quietly. there will be situations where this would be quite important

Posts: 11 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 11 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be up for a group buy on the Red Ox. Just let me know where to send payment.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
I'd be up for a group buy on the Red Ox. Just let me know where to send payment.

Same here, I am good for two. Do we have ten yet?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
So these are synthetic velour lined with cordura (or other high denier nylon)shell - correct?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be in for 1 as well.

Posts: 81 | Location: Buckholts, Texas | Registered: 11 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I would buy one also.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’ll take 2, let me know if they run them for payment.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
If they do run them I wonder if red oxx would make these magnet closure instead of tie?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for 2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOYT HARTNESS COMPANY CANVAS SHOTGUN SLEEVE

Gentleman;
It has been 25 years since I lived and worked in South Africa. Lots of good time remembered rideing through the bush in the famous Toyota 70 Series 4 wheel drive trucks (aka "Safari vehicles").

For those types "who have been there and done that" and have learned by their experiences, many learned lessons and select the aforementioned Boyt canvas shotgun sleeve, with its famous strap and buckle flap to allow the double rifle to be inserted into the also famous padded insides of the sleeve. No zippers to scratch the rifle, no ties that will come loose and allow the double rifle to fall out of the sleeve when you pick it up.

If the software for this site was not so ancient I could easily copy and paste to this post the web photo for this Boyt sleeve, but one of you other guys will find it and post it later. Several years ago the Boyt canvas shotgun sleeves were difficult to find, but now they are available. They are the "real deal" and maybe because they have been difficult to find in the past some of you have not learned about them. I just recently bought one for my grandson and it will last him the remainder of his shooting life. He loves it.

One thing that you will like about them when you get into the bush is the strap and handle. I like to carry my firearms in the sleeve via the strap with the strap over my shoulder with the butt of the stock up---not while I am hunting of course.

https://boytharness.com/produc...nvas-shotgun-sleeve/
When you buy one, select the right length from their chart.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Multiple good, proven products available.
It happens that I also like the slip with both a handle and strap and have some of multiple brands.
The SKB and another brand have useful utility pockets on the outside that can hold a box or belt sleeve of ammo, scope cover, and such. The better ones all have thick and durable padding.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Transvaal , I use the Boyt sleeves,

They are the go , especially the shotgun sleeve with flap for expensive doubles.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If you guys are in the Red OXX camp, might be a good time to contact them. They had to furlough almost all their staff due to the shutdowns but are now re-hiring and ramping back up. The owner, Jim is American through and through, and really takes pride in making products here. I'm sure they would appreciate the business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would order two.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD NEWS GUYS.

I reached out to RedOxx by email and asked if they could make some of the Flat Dog gun sleeves. They responded yes and they suggested that I call their toll free number and speak to Christian to order some.

I have 2 coming.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Traansval sez! I had several of them over the years, sold them with my doubles and they are suitable for the charter flights also. I travel heavy to Dar es Salam, and light to camp. They put my baggage in the vault at the seacliff while I hunted..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use GALCO full leather and travel cotton duct slips and they are superb.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 2 from red oxx.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I like the sleeve from Boyt.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote