New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel crown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I probably know the answer but I noticed my Wilkinson 470 has very nice barrel crowns. My Markell .500 has none. Is this just a cost saving measure? It kind of annoys me but I can’t really complain much about the rifle. I could pay a lot more for something with a barrel crown I guess...And it shoots very nice....

Do most doubles have crowns?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2843 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Most of my vintage doubles have a crown. Perhaps 20% do not.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
assuming you mean the appearance a curvature to the finished end of the barrel

as technically all rifled barrels are "crowned" as the rifling ends yielding the top of a quote- "crown " in appearance

some crowns are perpendicular others may be internally recessed, angled, multi-angled or rounded

an yes, i too prefer the asthetics of a rounded barrel end on a DR rather than a blunt end cut

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel crowns are to protect the rifling from damage correct? I assume a blunt end was “un” crowned which is what’s on my Merkel. The 470 has a nice angled crown. Some of my bolt rifles have “target crowns” which are a recess cut. So has anyone had a problem with “no crown” on their doubles? Also the end of the barrel is not blued as well and bare metal. I would say it does not look as good I was thinking of cold bluing it just to make it look better? But overal it all probably does not matter.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Both of my double rifles have crowned barrels as do all my other rifles.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The only reason rille barrels have recessed or rounded crowns is to prevent damage to the rifling if you set the muzzled down on rocks.
Do not do that and you will be fine.

Posts: 17067 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The only reason rille barrels have recessed or rounded crowns is to prevent damage to the rifling if you set the muzzled down on rocks.
Do not do that and you will be fine.

ABSOLUTELY! However, if GUNSLINGER is worried about it, any gun smith worth his salt can crown the barrels for you. However I have never seen a double rifle owner place his muzzles down on rocks, and as long as the rifle shoots properly, the crowning is not a necessary item.

…………...…….........…...…...... old Mac D

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason they have a crown I’m pretty sure is inadverdant damage to muzzle. No one I know puts a rifle muzzle down on rocks intentionally. Do you? Agreed it can be done easily but with regulation being so finicky I would say that may possibly be a bad idea ? Anyone done it?

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently received my Cogswell & Harrison version of a Paradox back from Ken Owen. I could not get it to regulate. He has done it and part of the work was to recrown the barrels, something he noted is essential for best regulation on some guns/rifles.

He has also made up and sent some 40 rounds of Fosbery-style ammunition and a mold for casting the right weight and size of projectile.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Having built, and regulated a few DRs, I can say that as long as the muzzles are uniform, the existence of any type of crown, or the lack thereof, makes no difference. Bullets leaving the muzzle squarely is what is important. Now, a non uniform crown can definitely make the bullets go ary. In fact,, you can regulate them by doing just that; making the crown steer the bullet. So do not think that the lack of a crown, i.e., if your rifle has flat muzzles, that affects regulation.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
There is a VERY well known established benchrest rifle maker who makes the argument that the best “crown” is flat and perfectly perpendicular to the bore at the last few inches of its length. He then went on to say the 11 degree target crown or rounded crowns were the worst especially if groove depth wasn’t exactly the same. The things benchrest guys sit around and mentally masturbate about...

Stands to reason if accuracy and protection were both considered a recessed crown would be best.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1018 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I cut a recessed "target" crown when possible. 90 degrees to the bore. Not on DRs; it looks funny on those.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Down at the 4K ranch on one our DRSS post DSC convention hunts a guide down at the ranch asked me why we never put our double rifles muzzle down on the floor instead of up toward the ceiling while riding in the hunting vhicle to our blinds from camp. To which I replied because we don't want to spend a large amount of money to re-crown a double rifle that regulates perfectly and may not if one or both muzzles were damaged destroying the regulation of a double rifle!
He just looked at me like I was speaking Russian, instead of English.

......……….........…........ Roll Eyes old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed to all points

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
So there ya go...I might add that the barrels on a double rifle are so thin as a rule, I would just as soon they were flat..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote