THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hollis Double Rifle broken stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollis Double Rifle broken stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought an A. Hollis double rifle which arrived via UPS today. The stock was broken completely broken in two at the wrist. Can something like this be repaired and if so does anyone know a stock maker who could do the job and in all probability re-checker the area. All the broken wood pieces were inside the case with the rifle.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I can recommend Brian Dudley, I have a double rifle stocked by him and he is well known for his work with Parker Shotguns:

http://bmdgunstocks.com/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks crshelton, As soon as the dealer I bought the gun from determines what UPS intends to do I'll contact him.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tpr.1919,
If I may impose on you....
I have heard differing accounts of UPS resolving damaged firearm claims with and without their additional insurance.
Once you have resolution, would you mind detailing it ?

Thank you,
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
doubleboy, I'll keep you up to date on what UPS does. Also I looked at Brian Dudley's site and his work is fantastic.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, and one of those is my Simson .405 DR. Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Fulton in Glenrock WY if he is still working.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I messaged Brian Dudley and sent him photographs of the rifle. Brian said it could be fixed but he was not taking any new order until after the first of the year. I'll see if Bob Fulton is still working.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of nearly 100 year old side by side shotguns that at somepoint in their have had a broken hand of the stock. They have been pinned and rebuilt. On my WJ Jeffery the repair is visible, or my Alex Martin you need a good magnifying glass to see the repair.

A double rifle will have more recoil which will put strain on any repair. Make sure it is given adequate pinning / reinforcement.

If it is going to be restocked make sure that you get a good straight grained piece of wood. Many modern blanks, whilst they have really beautiful and interesting grain, really are not strong enough for a double rifle. Consider that a big double has 50ft lbs of recoil energy. Thats the equivalent of dropping a 50lb weight on the head of the stock from the heigh of one foot every time you squeeze the trigger. Pretty blanks work on guns and rifles with full length stock bolts.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Heym SR20, I talked with Griffin & Howe today and they seemed like a good shop to do the repairs or a re-stock if needed. The example you gave about recoil force on a stock puts it in a prospective I never thought about before and makes perfect sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tpr.1919:
Thanks Heym SR20, I talked with Griffin & Howe today and they seemed like a good shop to do the repairs or a re-stock if needed. The example you gave about recoil force on a stock puts it in a prospective I never thought about before and makes perfect sense.

There is a lot of very pretty swirly grained walnut being sold a Grade lots of money on modern shotguns and Blaser rifles etc. The grain is all over the the place and have seen several stocks broken just by being dropped. Frequently the grain is running across the grip. I think a lot is due to CNC type duplicators being used, and desire to get as many stocks per piece of wood as possible. Blanks are just shoved into the machine and out comes something pretty. If you are reinforcing it with a stock bolt and / or the gun is a safe queen then you will get away with it.

If you you look at old double rifles you will see nice long straight grained and dense walnut that flows from the head of the stock right through to the centre of the butt plate. In other words all the recoil forces go down along the grain of the wood, rather than across it. With a sidelock, its even more important given the amount of wood that is removed for the lock plates. The wood may have the prettiness of a good axe handle but it's main function is to take that recoil energy and transfer it to your shoulder time and again.

Burl walnut is great for - pens and dashboards of fancy cars.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
UPS strikes again!!
As doubleboy said, please let us know how you get on with that.
My personal experience is that they always have the “improperly packaged” defense to fall back on and payout is zero.
Hope you have a different experience.

Curious though, being a double, wasn’t it taken down for boxing and shipping?
I’d think it would take some effort, even for UPS, to break a stock if the barrels were removed.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Huvius asked about gun takedown for shipping.
Good question!
In my brief experience:
1. DR shipped taken down in custom made hardwood case. Also padded well.
No damage.
2. DR shipped in sturdy full length metal case inside a cardboard box.
No problems.

Both shippers knew their guns and shipping materials.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a few people that could handle. Aaron Little and SKB here on the forum, as well as jj peredeau.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JJ, Aaron or Dustin Mounts. Also Jo-e Morrison of Gordy and Son, Houston.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Leroy Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks completely re-stocked my 470 NE double rifle for me. His wife Connie also checkered it beautifully. Moreover, Cecil Fredi of Gunstock Blanks (in Las Vegas) has over 35K gunstocks to choose from, many for double rifles. Just some other options for you to consider. You might want to check out both of their websites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen, The rifle is at Griffin & Howe and I have submitted their estimate for repairs to UPS. Now waiting to see what UPS does.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Save all packing materials. I have had several claims denied by UPS. A former student works for them in their claims department and he is instructed to say to every claim, "improper packaging." Very few fight this so they get away with the vast majority of denials.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very few fight this so they get away with the vast majority of denials.

Yes, those dirty SOBs! I have had that experience before with a different shipment. You almost need to sue them to get anything from them. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal, I photographed everything at the gun shop where it was opened when delivered. I also photographed the damages to the case the rifle was in and the box the case was shipped in. I submitted all this to UPS on Thursday so a matter of wait and see what happens. It seems to be the same thing with all the shippers lately. My mother-in-laws cancer medication, which is $18,000.00 per month came last week mashed with tire tracks on it. Fed Ex delivered it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll never ship a firearm with UPS again. They will fight you for years on a claim, and you’ll never get reimbursed. I prefer to use US Postal and have never had a claim with them.

I have what I consider to be the best stock maker I’ve used and very affordable. And a great checkered. Ron Heil in Cleveland, TN. He has done so much work for me over the years. If you’re interested PM me and I’ll share his contact info with you.

Just my take, I wouldn’t do a so-called repair on a complete break, especially on a DR. It needs a new stock. JMO

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just my take, I wouldn’t do a so-called repair on a complete break, especially on a DR. It needs a new stock. JMO

+1

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS has a long reputation of damaging guns!!...even history of running forklift tines thru cases!!

I think the first pitch from every claims personnel is deny it!! I have even been told USPS does the same thing... and had an experience shipping goods home from Hawaii...badly busted!! First claim denied, our little home postmaster told me, happens every time, refile!! I filed second claim and copied my Senators on the cover letter.... paid!! Honestly, I ship all guns by USPS Air, Certified, Insured... no problems!!

I also carry All Risk Gun policy....!!

I fully agree, I would NOT repair your busted stock... it will always be repaired and always questioned. Restock with a double qualified and known stock maker. It will add value to your rifle in the future!! Keep your original stock for history!!

Good luck!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a Leonard actioned gun?

I would love to see he pictures, happy to post them for you.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the conversations I have had with the UPS reps I think they are going to make good on the repairs. They are moving very slow however. On another note I am changing internet providers so I might have to register under a new name after October 1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would talk to Dennis Smith who trades as The Stock Doctor. I believe he is located in Oregon.
I was introduced to him by Westley Richards USA. He did a repair for me and built a couple stocks.
I am out of touch but if he is still doing business he is a good option.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very few fight this so they get away with the vast majority of denials.

Cal,
All reasons to take special care with such shipments. I recently shipped the barrel of my Winchester 1895 TD to Magnaport and used the local UPS shop to pack, insure, and ship it over night. It was delivered unscathed by noon the next day. It is due to ship back next week the same way.
Wish me luck.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used UPS for 40 years, two guns lost and one broken, and I prepared a full investigation backed with receipts, photographs, and gunsmith letters, like sales from Guns INtl on value.. no cracks in the report and received payment in both cases within two weeks and no questions asked by them.The secret is a detailed claim with both the UPS and USPS, otherwise they will question your claim it seems to me...Just my two bits and its a pain but it will save you the hassle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My .45 barrel was Magnaported and shipped to me VIA UPS with no problems.
When test fired at the rifle range all was well.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have been told by UPS and the dealer I bought the gun through, UPS is standing behind their insurance warranty. I received a message from my purchaser last week that the claim would be paid in 5 days. I have to say it has taken several months, but the UPS rep. who has handled the claim has been very sincere and sorry that it has taken so long to resolve the situation. When it's done I will certainly give the UPS adjuster a great recommendation because he deserves it. On another bright point I bought all of what seems to be the last lot of 500-450NE ammo for sale in the US. Once Griffin & Howe finishes the rifle's re-stocking I'll see how this journey ends. Hopefully the restocking won't throw off the rifles regulation.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on the success.
Tomorrow I will some English gun books and some double rifle brass, including 500-450.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very wise to save all packing materials for a ups claim. It is even valuable to save some extra material to make sure the ups inspector can’t say it was improperly packed. The stock fixrs put one of mine back together after a complete break at the wrist. The break was in the checkering and was completely invisible after restoration Email (thestockfixrs@hotmail.com)

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
UPS insurance claims are a scam!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote