Find
Notify
Tools

Fitted Travel Case Sources?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
In looking for a fitted travel case for a Merkel 140-2, everything is out of stock it seems.

Browning cases, while nice, are also mostly out of stock.

The Merkel USA dealer (Steyr) can't be bothered to even order or price a case.

Looking in Deutschland shows pricing running from 599 to 825 euros.

Do you fellas have any other sources/ extras you would part with?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6349 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellas. I found Jeff's listings on Guns International. Still looking at my options. I would like a Merkel case for a Merkel gun, but 600 EUROS? Damn...

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my Merkel 470 I purchased it with an Americase fitted aluminum case which included the Merkel logo on the inside felt.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a "carry to the car and field" case or something to check on an airline? If the former, the above are some good choices. (I think I own cases from nearly all of them) If you want to check it on an airline, get a pelican and cut out the foam.

The airline test is really simple. Put your gun in the intended case, step up onto a pickup bed, raise the case over your head and throw as far as you can onto concrete. Repeat three times. If this makes you cringe at all, you need a better case...

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbs:
For my Merkel 470 I purchased it with an Americase fitted aluminum case which included the Merkel logo on the inside felt.

I've made 3 trips to Zim with two doubles in my Americase as well. Great case for travel as no one knows what it is.

Even though it's "fitted" for my rifles, I add extra padding with socks and underwear stuffed in around the rifles. Never had an issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pelican makes several takedown cases as well. Plenty of room for binos, boots and clothing as well as the rifle broken down.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradhe:
Are you looking for a "carry to the car and field" case or something to check on an airline? If the former, the above are some good choices. (I think I own cases from nearly all of them) If you want to check it on an airline, get a pelican and cut out the foam.

The airline test is really simple. Put your gun in the intended case, step up onto a pickup bed, raise the case over your head and throw as far as you can onto concrete. Repeat three times. If this makes you cringe at all, you need a better case...

I already have a wheeled aluminum airline case, so my search is limited to something for car travel.

After some research, I think I will go with the Jeff's Outfitters option.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cases for takedown shotguns are fine for double rifles.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3584ELK:
quote:

I already have a wheeled aluminum airline case, so my search is limited to something for car travel.

After some research, I think I will go with the Jeff's Outfitters option.

Appreciate everyone's input!

If you've got a Pelican or Americase or whatever armoured box for commercial travel, then certainly Jeff's canvas appears to offer the best value in the classic style for motor cases. Perhaps the Arno Werner or Huey's or other up-market makers charging almost ten times as much are of such superior quality as to warrant the high price, but there's no way to judge from the skimpy little snapshots on their websites. Jeff's and Americase appreciate the value of web marketing in this modern age, and show full-page enlargements of their photos so you can judge their products accordingly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2 I never worry when my guns are in a Pelican.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Americase still in business?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sent you a private message about a case..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galazan RBL cases are nicer and sturdier than Jeff's canvas case. And since they are made for a 20ga, they fit better. I have some in stock.

Having said that, most shotgun cases are too long for a DR. It's hard to find a compact (short) takedown case for a DR.

Tuffpak makes a short case, I would go with that over anything that looks like a traditional gun case for airline travel. They use them mostly for camera equipment apparently. You can get boots and a hunting jacket in there as well.

For non-airline use, I have a very nice soft padded canvas and leather case with 2 barrel compartments branded Krieghoff .. if I could find them, I would buy 5 more.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Eisele.Koffer.com

German, great solid / secure cases. They do a two sided case which holds a broken down shotgun one side and a double rifle broken down the other. 4 lock, same key, wheels and all alu.

Have two - one for myself and one for my wife - and have never ever had any issue.....

Whole heartedly recommend them!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, fellas!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I was just checking online and found that Americase no longer makes cases for firearms. The only things they have are left over inventory. Too sad. They made a great case!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I was just checking online and found that Americase no longer makes cases for firearms. The only things they have are left over inventory. Too sad. They made a great case!

When I checked last week they did have a few single breakdown cases.

I got lucky, found a two breakdown rifle case. one per side, on eBay, almost brand new at half usual price a week ago. It was missing keys for the end locks. Called Americase and they are sending me new keys.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Negrini makes a hard case for double rifles with separate compartments for stock and action, barrels, and scope. It fits barrels up to 26 inches long. Overall case length is about 28 inches. It has dual combination locks for travel.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There are always a few nice ones on eBay!! I just bought a great old Abercrombie and Fitch leather case probably for a 410 shotgun? I will use it for my 405 Win Griffin and Howe/Francotte double or latest Jeffrey 450-400 3"??
This is some old class, and traveled stuff!! Wish it could tell stories....
CheerZ

470EDDY

Posts: 2528 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I ended up going all out and buying both a hard case from Pelican and a Lewis Drake Leg O' Mutton soft case. Paid only $100 for the soft case, but the Pelican was a bit more pricey.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:

tu2 I never worry when my guns are in a Pelican.

I feel the same way when I have one rifle alone in my Pelican case lying in the centre of the foam.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Pelican and Kalispell cases for shipping. Kalispell always ends up with dents. Pelican ends up with corners or latches broken.

Granted, these cases have been around and across the country many times, but the Kalispell's have come through for over 20 years

Posts: 3426 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote