THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A new direction--photos added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new direction--photos added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Going in a new direction—maybe.

The past thirty plus years playing with double rifles, writing three books and dozens of magazine articles have been greatly rewarding. Even more has been the contacts and friends I’ve made. Personally I have divided my interest with double rifles between the hammerless box lock and side lock doubles and the exposed hammers with the Jones under lever designs. I don’t know if I favor one style over the other as I’ve owned about equal amount of each.

The black powder express rifles are light in weight, balance well, and are powerful enough for most hunting. The bigger bore rifles and a wonder to behold and while I have hunted a bit with the 8- and 4-bores they really are not practical.

The nitro express doubles I’ve owned from .300 to .600 and a dozen calibers in between are fun to own and shoot but the larger cartridges, .450 and up, are really too over powered for anything but buffalo, elephant, hippo, and rhino.

I have been selling my collection rifles and components and accessories as I’m getting older with no heirs or family but I still want to keep a few rifles to play with until I meet my Maker. My new line of thought is a compromise between the two basic styles: the milder recoiling black powder express cartridges in a hammerless box lock design.

I’ve only owned one double rifle in this category and I’ve kicked myself for selling it. A Holland and Holland Royal in .500 3 1/4” bpe in the hammerless design. Yesterday I took delivery of a Tolley .577-500 3 1/8” magnum box lock and I am starting to focus my attention on this type of double. To me, as this stage of y life, the sleek appearance of the hammerless doubles combined with the power level of the black powder express cartridges seems like a good balance.

What do you think, fellas?

Sorry for the glare but not much daylight this time of year.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
It seems like a natural progression, based on a double rifle depth some of us can only dream of. You've tried them all and are narrowing down to the things that make the most sense, look and feel right, as your tastes refine over time.

I have appreciated your articles and insight on this website. The number of people with your double rifle experience can be counted on one hand.

Can't wait to see pictures of your new purchases!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Cal.

What can I say. I concure. The black powder express double is for me the most interesting doublerifle. You get a lot of "rifle" for the money and they are fun to shoot and low recoiling. The .500ex rifle can deliver bringing down just about the biggest(under most conditions).
You have shot way more doubles than I have, but seeing the "light" or the "delight" of the .500ex has for me too brought me down this alley too. I found a Cogswell & Harrison .500ex 3" in a pristine condition here in Denmark for a silly money. They don´t weigh as much like the .577s. Mine weighs in at 8½ ibs with 28" barrels and is a joy to carry. The .450ex is ok but the .500ex does step up the game. Mine is however a hammerrifle with Jones underlever. A nice slick BLE .500ex is what I too could see on the menu one day. Maybe the best of two worlds from the Victorian times. I remember the cased H&H Royal you had in .500ex. I looked at that rifle many times on your homepage thinking for me it would be to top-end goal to have such rifle. Have that rifle and I could sell everything else. The .500ex was the answer to our modern .375H&H. The .500ex rifle could bring down just about all except elephants, rhinos and gaur was the .500ex. Lots of the litterature I have from pre-1914 testify the use of the .500ex into the nitro age. Ammo for the .577/500 magnum was made by Eley`s and I think the last batches were made in the 1920s. The .500ex straight cased BPE ammo was made up to late 1940s. BTW Westley Richards made rifles in .577/500 magnum using 570grain as the only company. Otherwise the bulletchoice was the solid 480grain to 6 drams making it a true "magnum" of its time. .500ex with 360grain and 5drams was a deerload in comparison.

Congratulations with your rifle. Looking foreward to see some images.

Merry Christmas..

Jens

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Go for it Cal.

I am sticking with my current battery with one interesting exception. -- my .45-70 DR chambers are being extended to 45-90 as a Christmas present to the rifle and myself. This will
keep the hog-gun status and open up really big game use at the top end; at least that is true of my 1886 45-90 which has taken game from Blackbuck to some of Africa's biggest.

Please keep us informed.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal, Like you, I've owned and shot doubles chambered from 32-20 up to and including .600NE. About 35 years ago I had a Greener double in .500 3-1/4BPE. It was a hoot to load for and shoot. I wish I still had it. I say go for it.

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of power, Low recoil, sleek rifle. What is not to like.

I am turning more and more to medium cartridges myself.

Posts: 10756 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always did like your taste Cal! Enjoy your fine choice.
Cheers
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Going in a new direction—maybe.

The past thirty plus years playing with double rifles, writing three books and dozens of magazine articles have been greatly rewarding. Even more has been the contacts and friends I’ve made. Personally I have divided my interest with double rifles between the hammerless box lock and side lock doubles and the exposed hammers with the Jones under lever designs. I don’t know if I favor one style over the other as I’ve owned about equal amount of each.

The black powder express rifles are light in weight, balance well, and are powerful enough for most hunting. The bigger bore rifles and a wonder to behold and while I have hunted a bit with the 8- and 4-bores they really are not practical.

The nitro express doubles I’ve owned from .300 to .600 and a dozen calibers in between are fun to own and shoot but the larger cartridges, .450 and up, are really too over powered for anything but buffalo, elephant, hippo, and rhino.

I have been selling my collection rifles and components and accessories as I’m getting older with no heirs or family but I still want to keep a few rifles to play with until I meet my Maker. My new line of thought is a compromise between the two basic styles: the milder recoiling black powder express cartridges in a hammerless box lock design.

I’ve only owned one double rifle in this category and I’ve kicked myself for selling it. A Holland and Holland Royal in .500 3 1/4” bpe in the hammerless design. Yesterday I took delivery of a Tolley .577-500 3 1/8” magnum box lock and I am starting to focus my attention on this type of double. To me, as this stage of y life, the sleek appearance of the hammerless doubles combined with the power level of the black powder express cartridges seems like a good balance.

What do you think, fellas?

Im thinking the same thing. I have, and have had just about one or more of just about all double rifles and I have been thinking of building a few doubles starting with .22RF, and going up to 30-30 in both side by side and over under doubles to go along with my present collection of doubles.
I have several grand childern who are getting close to shooting and hunting age that would love hunting with a double rifle made to fit them.
At 85 years of age I would love to watch them learn shooting and proper hunting ethics while I,m still here!
............................ old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote