THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Life finally got out of the way of shooting my doubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life finally got out of the way of shooting my doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 2013 I got a Baikal 45-70side by side rifle then in 2014 I got the 30-06.
Very shortly after acquiring the 30-06, there was an ice storm. I slipped fell and sprained the joint between my right collar bone and my right shoulder. For 2 months I could barely move my arm, then with physical therapy I could use my arm again after 6 months. Then in 2015, March, my dad died from pancreatic cancer.
I went into depression and gave up on shooting for a while.

Then in 2017 I was hired for a dream job, working at a gunstore range. The week before I started I fell off a ladder and shattered my right wrist. I had to learn to shoot pistols left handed.

It was a blessing in disguise. I had to relearn everything I had known about shooting pistols for 30 years. It made me a better instructor.

Then I got my Baikal double back out again at the start of December. I filled the bolt hole in the stock with lead wich cut recoil dramatically. I took my time shoot a ladder test found a load it likes. At 50 yards it will shoot about an inch and a half group. At 100 yard it opens to about a 5 inch group for both barrels.

It has been a long ride but it felt good to finally find a load it like that doesn't hurt my wrist and shoulder. So hopefully later in this year my cousin and I will be able to go pig hunting together.

There is much more I could add to the story, but it isn't really important. Sorry if this is long and off topic but I am prod that my 45-70 is finally sighted in and I have a good load for it.

D R S S member as of 4/30/2014.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
You are sklled and stong to overcome so much. Congratulations on your success and recovery. Many folks lengthen the chambers of their .45-70 doubles to .45-90 and even longer. Is such a move in your future?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Mr. Pappas, in this light of a rifle 45-70 is exciting enough. My shoulder and wrist could not take the extra pounding. Hopefully, I will be able to afford a bpe caliber soon. I would like to find one with exposed hammers and a Jones undercover that weighs a bit more.

D R S S member as of 4/30/2014.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
You are sklled and stong to overcome so much. Congratulations on your success and recovery. Many folks lengthen the chambers of their .45-70 doubles to .45-90 and even longer. Is such a move in your future?

Cal, Changing the chambering in a double rifle is not something I would recommend! I made that mistake on my Pedersoli 45-70 double rifle to 458RCBS which is simply a lengthening the chamber to 2.75 in, with no other changes. The rifle would regulate perfectly with two 45-70 400 gr rounds printing side by side on the target at 100 yds. The wildcat 458 RCBS rounds now are lucky to print two bullets, one from each barrel on the side of a large barn. The rifle now needs re-regulating, a price that will be higher than the price I paid for the rifle brand new from the maker.
I'm now thinking about cutting the barrels off just in front of the chambers and have a pair of barrels studded into the origenal rifle butts and chambering them for 375 flanged and regulated for 300 gr bullets, making the rifle lighter for hunting in Alaska for bear and moose. Otherwise I may as well hang the thing on the wall of my trophy room.
............................... 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Macd37
My Beretta 45-70DR is now being up graded to 45-90 AND re regulated with the hope it will all work out. This includes converting the fixed scope mount to Tally removable. Upon completion. I will report.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zgunbear:
In 2013 I got a Baikal 45-70side by side rifle then in 2014 I got the 30-06.
Very shortly after acquiring the 30-06, there was an ice storm. I slipped fell and sprained the joint between my right collar bone and my right shoulder. For 2 months I could barely move my arm, then with physical therapy I could use my arm again after 6 months. Then in 2015, March, my dad died from pancreatic cancer.
I went into depression and gave up on shooting for a while.

Then in 2017 I was hired for a dream job, working at a gunstore range. The week before I started I fell off a ladder and shattered my right wrist. I had to learn to shoot pistols left handed.

It was a blessing in disguise. I had to relearn everything I had known about shooting pistols for 30 years. It made me a better instructor.

Then I got my Baikal double back out again at the start of December. I filled the bolt hole in the stock with lead wich cut recoil dramatically. I took my time shoot a ladder test found a load it likes. At 50 yards it will shoot about an inch and a half group. At 100 yard it opens to about a 5 inch group for both barrels.

It has been a long ride but it felt good to finally find a load it like that doesn't hurt my wrist and shoulder. So hopefully later in this year my cousin and I will be able to go pig hunting together.

There is much more I could add to the story, but it isn't really important. Sorry if this is long and off topic but I am prod that my 45-70 is finally sighted in and I have a good load for it.

Congratulations on your situation.

I too am going to be spending much more time with all my guns, rifles, pistols and shotguns.

I sold my business and my full time contract has been satisfied. I’m now part time and will be exploring other shooting disciplines I have no experience with. I’ve always had an interest in Long range shooting. Not the hunting aspect of it.

I’ve not been to Africa in two years and my doubles have been sorely neglected.

I’m going to make up for lost time with all my stuff.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3310 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zgunbear, You seem to have a great attitude! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
ZGunbear:

Welcome back!! Never give up. I know of what you speak for I have been to those gates of hell. This will be the first time in ten years that I will start shooting again.

Like my mother always said, "It doesn't matter how many times you fall, It's how many times you get up."

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions