THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle - The long wait is over - long story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle - The long wait is over - long story
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle - The long wait is over - long story

Hello All,

You may recall my post about my custom 700NE build from a while back. That post has over 24,000 hits to date.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/9561066812

Along the same lines, I've always wanted a BIG BORE "Sidelock" Double Rifle. So, shortly after the 700NE build was completed, I contacted Aaron Little about building me another Custom Double Rifle, but this one in 600NE on a sidelock. I sent him my 10ga Bernardelli Venus Royal Best Gun to evaluate. The Bernardelli was from 1972, during a time when Bernardelli was building some of their Finest High-Grade shotguns for the U.S. market. Here's the original listing, and some "before" photos.

Aaron carefully examined the Bernardelli and gave his blessing for the build, deeming the Bernardelli would be suitable for the project. I discussed my desires for the build;

- 26" barrels
- 14 pounds 12 ounce weight
- 14-3/8" LOP
- Red Silvers style recoil pad
- "Flip-Over" Moon Bead Front Sight

Aaron indicated that all this was doable. I gave the go-ahead, and then ..... the waiting started for Aaron to perform his majic.

I was a pest for progress pictures, and over the following many months, Aaron sent a few. Most of the build steps for this project were the same as with the 700NE build.

After receiving the photos of the work in progress, I knew it was going to be a long wait for the rifle to be finished. I knew that craftsmanship took time. I tried not to pester Aaron too much while he patiently worked.

I took this time to prepare the 600NE ammo that Aaron would require for regulating the rifle. Once again, much like I did for the 700NE project, I prepared 75% loads. The load was a Barnes 900g FMJ, at 1450 fps, with 75 grains of IMR 4198 powder, with a 1" long piece of 5/8" dia. backing rod foam. I had developed this load for my 600NE VC, and it shot to the same point of aim as the full-house load of 1950 fps. I sent 30 rounds to Aaron.

In the mean time, I also acquired a custom hard case, and waited for it to be filled.

It wasn't too long after that Aaron sent me a photo of the "final regulation" target. It only took him 24 of the 30 rounds to regulate the rifle. And the results were ... - - - TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE ! !

Any further improvement (as if one was needed) would come from "tweaking" the load.

And, once again, I waited for the project to be finished. ....

...... And then, finally, one day last week, there came a wooden crate to my door.

The waiting was over, and the empty case was finally filled.

Here are some detail photos of the finished rifle. A Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle in 600 Nitro Express caliber.

With the project complete, I evaluated how it turned out. Well, in the end, we missed on 2 of the desired features; - No Red Recoil Pad, because apparently no one makes a "Red" Recoil Pad wide enough for the existing stock which was a full 2" wide. Not wanting to alter the existing stock, we had to go with a "Brown" Recoil Pad which was available in the 2" width. - And, after final polishing and clean-up the finished weight was 3 ounces light at 14 pounds 9 ounces. However, this was no big deal as the 3 ounces were more than made up by loading the rifle, which brought the weight to exactly 15 pounds. "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

And how did it balance? Also "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

So the final test would be - how does it shoot? Well, you be the judge. Here is my first target. ... "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

Am I happy? YOU BET ! - I've got a High-Quality 600NE "Sidelock" Double Rifle - for only a fraction of the cost of one from a contemporary maker.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. No wonder Aaron told me he was swamped!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing the pictures and the story that goes with them. Nice!

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say, if Wisconsin is invaded by wooly mammoths or dinosaurs you are certainly well covered. Will you be trying this rifle and the A&M on whitetail this season? The big bore battery .700 on down is certainly filling out. I feel like a wuss with my stiff shoulder from my whitworth!

What's next? I'm glad your keeping Aaron busy.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I love a story with a happy ending.

CRShelton and I visited with Aaron today. I may well have him build me a rifle after I mull some things over....

It's only money.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
I love a story with a happy ending.

CRShelton and I visited with Aaron today. I may well have him build me a rifle after I mull some things over....

It's only money.

Hello vlwtx348

Thanks for the reply.

As far as $$ go, I think its well worth it. I'm 2 for 2, and seriously thinking about number 3. I don't have a double in 40 cal. yet. I'm thinking about a 450-400, built on my Dominion Grade Holland and Holland 12ga., or maybe on my Greener 12 ga. "G" gun.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo!! Loved your 700NE string, making the brass from 50 BMG, the whole deal. Thanks for posting this one.

The rifle looks awesome, now time for you to show us pics of rabbits, woodchucks, etc, taken with this monster - assuming the bullet makes it through to the heart or brain....

So want an Aaron Little double. Some day.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a rifle! Thank you for sharing. I'm assuming you're going to stick with the 75% loads? Or are you going to be shooting full house out of it? Did Aaron do anything to the action itself or the stock to handle the 600?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Great work Aaron!
Enjoy it fully Buckstix.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
What a rifle! Thank you for sharing. I'm assuming you're going to stick with the 75% loads? Or are you going to be shooting full house out of it? Did Aaron do anything to the action itself or the stock to handle the 600?

Hello Brandon.Gleason,

Thanks for the reply.

The action and Stock are both "as factory" with no changes. Since this was a 10ga Magnum at 11 pounds 9 ounces, the added weight brought it to 15 pounds. That should absorb some of the 600NE's recoil energy. However, although I expect to shoot some full-house loads to check regultion, most of my shooting will be with the 75% loads.

quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Great work Aaron!
Enjoy it fully Buckstix.

Hello CCMDoc,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Aaron does do Great work.
I am really having fun with this one. I'm testing different bullets. I've already put 50 rounds down the tubes, with more shooting scheduled for tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I would love to have Aaron build me a small bore double for whitetail and muleys in the river bottoms.

Thanks again for sharing the build with us. I love the way you think outside the box.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
This is a great story. I hope the cost was less than you might have spent on a good used original .600.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
This is a great story. I hope the cost was less than you might have spent on a good used original .600.

Hello sambarman338,

Thanks for the reply.

I calculate my cost was about 1/10 the price of a new 600 NE Sidelock Double Rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting project.

Aaron does some good work from what I can tell.

What is the price of the" new "600 side lock
Double you speak of?

What brand are you referring to specifically?

I'm curious as I have just left from the Westley Richards factory and have seen and handled the most speactacular 600 sidleock, droplock and snap lever 600 double rifles you will ever see anywhere in the world!!

The prices were commensurate of course!!

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
I calculate my cost was about 1/10 the price of a new 600 NE Sidelock Double Rifle.
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
What is the price of the" new "600 side lock
Double you speak of?

What brand are you referring to specifically?

Hello nickh,

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing specific in mind. Just pick any current maker of a 600NE "Sidelock" Double Rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only current makers of 600 sidelock doubles as far as I'm aware are
Heym
Searcy
Westley Richards
H&H
Watson BRos.
Purdey
Marcel Thys

10% of a Purdey is vastly different to 10% of a Searcy.

Just curious to what this conversion would cost.

Nick

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Westley Richards
H&H
Watson BRos.
Purdey
Marcel Thys

Nick

Hello nickh,

Thanks for the reply.

My 10% comment was pretty general. But based on a "conservative" $55,000 figure for a Hand Engraved 600NE Sidelock Double Rifle - 10% would be $5,500.

I'd be curious to know what the actual retail prices are for all those makers on your list above.

Aaron's prices for conversion range from $3,500 - $5,000 based on caliber. The bigger the caliber, the higher the price. For example:

450-400 conversions are $3,500 ..... 600NE conversions are $4,250 ..... and 70NE conversions are $5,000

I'm thinking I'll be getting a few more conversions from Aaron in the near future because his prices are sure to go up as more people discover his skills and tallent for building these doubles.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a bargain.

I wonder how he makes a proper living out of that! He would need to build a lot rifles each year to get ahead.

What is is his turn around time?

quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Westley Richards
H&H
Watson BRos.
Purdey
Marcel Thys

Nick

Hello nickh,

Thanks for the reply.

My 10% comment was pretty general. But based on a "conservative" $55,000 figure for a Hand Engraved 600NE Sidelock Double Rifle - 10% would be $5,500.

I'd be curious to know what the actual retail prices are for all those makers on your list above.

Aaron's prices for conversion range from $3,500 - $5,000 based on caliber. The bigger the caliber, the higher the price. For example:

450-400 conversions are $3,500 ..... 600NE conversions are $4,250 ..... and 70NE conversions are $5,000

I'm thinking I'll be getting a few more conversions from Aaron in the near future because his prices are sure to go up as more people discover his skills and tallent for building these doubles.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Wow! That is a bargain.

I wonder how he makes a proper living out of that! He would need to build a lot rifles each year to get ahead.

What is is his turn around time?

Hello Nakihunter,

Thanks for the reply.

I think his total build time is approx 12 months, from the time he receives the donor gun.

Following below are some pictures that Aaron took when the project was completed.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Westley Richards
H&H
Watson BRos.
Purdey
Marcel Thys

Nick

Marcel Thys is no longer building guns.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Heym
Searcy
Westley Richards
H&H
Watson BRos.
Purdey
Marcel Thys

Nick

Marcel Thys is no longer building guns.

VC should be added to the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Congratulations.

A leather covered pad would hide the brown one. A minor detail!

Happy shooting and hunting.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct VC is in the game with the 600 for sure! Bad oversight as I have one from them and love it!!

Nick

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct VC is in the game with the 600 for sure! Bad oversight as I have one from them and love it!!
Nick

Hello nickh

Thanks for the reply.

Me too, as you might recall this post from a couple of years back.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...301029312#8301029312

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
A fine shooting boomer.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
A fine shooting boomer.
Mike

Hello retreever,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to the Bernardelli or the VC as being a fine shooting boomer?