THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any thoughts on the razzini rhino express .500NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thoughts on the razzini rhino express .500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Love the way they have come out and feel quite confident they aren't going to brake anytime soon
t

The Razzini's butt stock looks great tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They could be good rifles.There stocks however are shaped weird.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Two shots is hardly a cluster. Nice pair is appropriate. Thanks for the eye opener on proof of regulation as well. I believe that a target like this only proves that there is potential there. More specifically, I see this target as a suggestion by the manufacturer that this gun is being advertised as capable of and did in fact shoot this exact 2 shot group. In the event the rifle does not prove to shoot a similar pattern by a reasonably qualified shooter using suitable ammunition, the buyer should have grounds for a refund/return. Test targets do not prove how many shots were fired to get to this point. Lack of any advertised specifics on any thorough process of regulation suggests that one has to have faith in them. I hope the O.P. finds someone with hands on experience with this company and ultimately the exact rifle he likes, the .500 Nitro Rhino Express.
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Apples to oranges. Yet, at least one B. Rizzini was regulated well. Nice cluster on this target.
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100639485

If that is the makers proof target it means absolutely nothing. Proof targets that come with a new rifle are nothing more than window dressing. They are always only two shots, and have no identifying labels which bullet came from which barrel. In addition only two shots doesn't tell you anything except that two bullets hit the target.

In the case of the target for this rifle the two bullets seem to be hitting the same hole. If all bullets are hitting the same ragged hole, then this indicates the rifle is crossing at that distance.

This is the reason a test target should show four shots from each barrel, and identified on the target as to the order of firing, and from which barrel each shot came from on the target. Then to find how regulated the rifle is, finding the CENTER of each barrels individual group in relation to the other barrels individual barrel group CENTER.
Though individual shots will cross into the group of the other barrel, the centers of each barrels group will never cross at any distance if the rifle is regulated properly.

The rifle in this case may well be properly regulated but the target doesn't prove that.

...................................................................................... old

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I stopped by their booth at the expo in Utah this morning to look at the double but the guy told me he left it because he didn't think anyone would look at it. Maybe I can get some free time and seeing down there some time to check them out.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Steel, regardless of brand, if you're looking for your first double rifle, I'd shoot a 500 NE before you pony up for one. To me at least, DRs don't seem to handle recoil as well as bolt rifles, IE the felt recoil will be greater with a DR than with a bolt rifle of the same or similar caliber.

I am 100% with Jon. I shot thousand of rounds through big bore bolt actions. I shot maybe 20 rounds with a 470 NE. I was not prepared for my first shot with a 500 NE. It kicked me like I have never been kicked before. I could not shoot that gun.

Fit means everything.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
Naples florida

I am in Orlando. Drive up one weekend and I will let you shoot mine.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steel, regardless of brand, if you're looking for your first double rifle, I'd shoot a 500 NE before you pony up for one. To me at least, DRs don't seem to handle recoil as well as bolt rifles, IE the felt recoil will be greater with a DR than with a bolt rifle of the same or similar caliber.

After 40 plus years of owning DR's, including 5 different 500's, I beg to differ- a bit-

Generally, pound to pound in the same caliber- a properly fitted DR typically has no greater perceived recoil- than a bolt-

But get Dr's that is too light for caliber or DR's that do not fit or that are poorly balanced--
then they are perceptibly uncomfortable to shoot-
as to weights--DR's weights should generally average around 12# for a 500, about 11# for a 470, 10 to 10.5 for a 450, 9.5 to 10 for a 450-400 etc--
While 500's @ 12# ARE a significant step up in recoil from an 11# 470,-
properly fitted they are manageable for most experienced shooters-

BUT get a 10# 500 and you have an utterly miserable gun even properly fitted-

those two little pounds lost also add the potential for retinal detachment, dramatically so for us " old " guys-

add recoil reducer to the stock to add some weight -and you have helped yourself a bit - but you've changed the gun's handling dynamics-

Best advice-- if you aren't planning on doing a number of ele-- say one or two a year for several years in a row---

Go get yourself a 450-400 and have a pleasant life using a gun that you will hunt with in Africa, Alaska, the lower 48 etc-

IF , however,-- all your life you have craved a 500 or a 470-- by all means get one--
but,
get one that fits,
its weight is appropriate for its caliber,
and
preferably the weight largely resides between the hands, because it has tapered barrels,24 to 27"in length, rather than un-tapered ones-

with shoe lump or chopper lump construction,rather than mono-block-

an articulated front trigger,
and intercepting sears-

I now add a red dot to my larger caliber guns, and have the smaller ones scoped , as my eyes are no longer as versatile as they were.

as always opinions are worth the value you place on them--

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

I am 100% with Jon. I shot thousand of rounds through big bore bolt actions. I shot maybe 20 rounds with a 470 NE. I was not prepared for my first shot with a 500 NE. It kicked me like I have never been kicked before. I could not shoot that gun.

Fit means everything.

Interesting...not my experience at all. Most (not all) big bore doubles (470 - 577) that I have shot were comparable or a little more comfortable from the recoil perspective relative to big bore bolt guns.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:

Interesting...not my experience at all. Most (not all) big bore doubles (470 - 577) that I have shot were comparable or a little more comfortable from the recoil perspective relative to big bore bolt guns.

Antler your experience may be that the big bore doubles you have shot were weighted properly for the chambering while most newer doubles chambered for 500NE will actually be lighter than the same brand chambered for 470NE.
This is because the barrels are often the same outside profile for the 500NE as it is for the 470NE with the only difference being the bore size inside the barrel.

I offer the Merkels as an example. The 500NE is actually lighter than the 470NE because of the steel removed for the larger chamber, and bore size inside the same outside profile of the barrels.

I have a 470NE mod 140-2 Safari 470NE and the 500NE 140-2 is almost a pound lighter resulting in a very noticeable rise in recoil with the 500NE in the same rifle.

In the higher grade doubles everything is made to accommodate only the chambering ordered, while the off the shelf rifles are fitted with one outside profile no matter the chambering. Rifle like Merkel, chapuis, Krieghoff, all utilize one barrel profile for all the big bore doubles to cut cost to reach a price point for the units in all chamberings offered.

................Just a thought! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac is right and as I said before fit is everything.

I have had 3 different 500 NEs. The first was a Heym. As noted earlier, I could not shoot it. It HAMMERED me.

The next was a VC something or another with a round body. I had no problem shooting it except for whacking my middle finger on the trigger guard.

I up graded to a much more jazzed up VC. The new one I can shoot with no problem. It does NOT hammer my finger like the other one did.

Fit is everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
most newer doubles chambered for 500NE will actually be lighter than the same brand chambered for 375 H&H or 470NE. This is because the barrels are often the same outside profile for the 500NE as it is for the 375H&H with the only difference being the bore size inside the barrel.

I offer the Merkels as an example. The 500NE is actually lighter than the 375H&H because of the steel removed for the larger chamber, and bore size inside the same outside profile of the barrels.

A DR chambered for .375 H&H, but having the same outside barrel diameter and profile as a 470NE/500NE, would handle very poorly.
I don't think Merkel would do that.

375 H&H

470NE

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That made me think, my merkel are 500 and 375, the 500 is .710 and the 375 is .590 at muzzle.The 500 has to weigh at least 2 pounds heavier
My Beretta 9.3x74 is .540

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:

A DR chambered for .375 H&H, but having the same outside barrel diameter and profile as a 470NE/500NE, would handle very poorly.
I don't think Merkel would do that.

CORRECTED! You are no doubt correct about the handling being a little barrel heavy, and the profile of the 375H&H may well be smaller and I don't have one to look at here. However I do have a 470NE and the 500NE has the same outside diameter barrels and the 500NE rifle is lighter than the 470NE Merkel 140-2 safari. I doesn't handle too badly but the recoil is much more punishing with the 500NE.

....................................................................................... Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
raamw, your photos show the different diameters and profiles perfectly, thanks.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are no doubt correct about the handling being a little barrel heavy, and the profile of the 375H&H may well be smaller and I don't have one to look at here. However I do have a 470NE and the 500NE has the same outside diameter barrels and the 500NE rifle is lighter than the 470NE Merkel 140-2 safari. I doesn't handle too badly but the recoil is much more punishing with the 500NE.

....................................................................................... Confused

My post was concerning your statement that the 375H&H and 500NE Merkel 140-2 DR's have the same outside barrel diameter and profile, and that the 500 is lighter than the 375.

That's not right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have weighed them earlier unloaded of course
Beretta 689 9.3x74 8 lbs 09 oz
Merkel 140 375HH 9 and 13
Merkel 140.500NE 11 and 1

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:
My post was concerning your statement that the 375H&H and 500NE Merkel 140-2 DR's have the same outside barrel diameter and profile, and that the 500 is lighter than the 375.

That's not right.

Below has been corrected to indicate the 500NE being only lighter than the 470NE Merkel. Before I quite incorrectly added the 375H&H Merkel in that comparison. Sorry about that folks!

Antler your experience may be that the big bore doubles you have shot were weighted properly for the chambering while most newer doubles chambered for 500NE will actually be lighter than the same brand chambered for 470NE. This is because the barrels are often the same outside profile for the 500NE as it is for the 470NE with the only difference being the bore size inside the barrel.

I offer the Merkels as an example. The 500NE is actually lighter than the 470NE because of the steel removed for the larger chamber, and bore size inside the same outside profile of the barrels.

I have a 470NE mod 140-2 Safari 470NE and the 500NE 140-2 is almost a pound lighter resulting in a very noticeable rise in recoil with the 500NE in the same rifle.

In the higher grade doubles everything is made to accommodate only the chambering ordered, while the off the shelf rifles are fitted with one outside profile no matter the larger chamberings. Rifle like Merkel, chapuis, Krieghoff, all utilize one barrel profile in the larger chamberings for all the doubles to cut cost to reach a price point for the units in all chamberings offered.

................Just a thought! coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you use a micrometer on the 470' muzzle to see if it is the same as the 500. barrel lenght is 23.6"

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac is right and as I said before fit is everything.

I have had 3 different 500 NEs. The first was a Heym. As noted earlier, I could not shoot it. It HAMMERED me.

The next was a VC something or another with a round body. I had no problem shooting it except for whacking my middle finger on the trigger guard.

I up graded to a much more jazzed up VC. The new one I can shoot with no problem. It does NOT hammer my finger like the other one did.

Fit is everything.

My assumption would be your Heym was an older "standard-mid frame size" gun, prior to the reshape of the 88 receiver (the action had the sharper lower outer edges to the receiver ?) and probably around weighed 10# to 10.5#'s or so-

Heym still builds 3 frames available in 500NE-

The "Standard" (now redesigned) (actually the middle frame size that they build in double rifles) mostly ordered by PH's to be lighter to carry-

the "Large" frame, the most often recommended frame size in 470 or 500 by Heym for clients- around 12# +/-

and the "Jumbo" pinless sidelock, really a bit heavy in a 500 (IMO), (really designed for 577 or 600) but they will build it for you-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure. I bought it in 2006.

I could not handle it. It has been sold at least twice that I know of. It was a beast.

A PH shot it in TZ. One shot was enough for him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larryshores i might take you up on that offer. My home base is the tampa area. Im in naple for grad school. In between semesters i go back to tampa. Maybe ill by some .500NE ammo and make the drive up some time. I can bring some big bore handguns if your interested to plink with.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of ammo. Don't worry about that.

I suck really badly with handguns. Actually that is a lie . I would have to improve a lot to suck really badly. Probably a waste of money for me to try and shoot a big bore pistol .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just have to stand closer to the target. LOL. Ill pm you at the end of this semester in like 3 months if the offers still on the table. Thanks.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote