THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    ** 4/23/21 update ** My first Merkel - a 470 NE - I'm very pleased with it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** 4/23/21 update ** My first Merkel - a 470 NE - I'm very pleased with it
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
My first Merkel - a 470 NE - I'm very pleased with it

Hello all,

Exactly two years ago I traded my two Sabatti rifles ( 470NE & 500NE ) "even-up" - two-for-one, for an original Alexander Henry Double Rifle in 450-400 3-1/4" NE.
see this post . http://forums.accuratereloadin...291092152#5291092152

I replaced the 500NE, but that left me wanting another 470NE to replace the one that I had traded away. ............ well ........ well ..........

I'm sure many of you saw the Merkel 470NE Double Rifle that was offered for sale in the classified section. Like many others, I was somewhat skeptical about a for-sale post listing a double rifle for sale at a very good price, from a "new member" with a history of only "1" post. However, Chris proved to be a very Honorable Forum member. I guess we sometimes forget that at one time, we all started with that very first single post.

The rifle arrived today with all the goodies that went with it. What a nice piece, and with so much stuff with it - everything from dies, to brass, to jacketed bullets, loaded ammo, tons of lead bullets for practice, and even a couple of 470NE snap caps. Over $1500 worth of "go-along" stuff. A trip to the range was in order. I fired 20 rounds in 10 pairs. All 10 pairs averaged less than 1-1/2" apart. And some were nothing less than spectacular! Thank you Chris for a rifle that's going to the head of the class for great performance.

I've shown below the Custom Sighting target that I designed for shooting my double rifles. I've also shown the sighting picture that I used with this rifle. The big red fiber-optic bead fit nicely into the sighting arch of the target. And all the groups printed right at the top of the bead. Perfect for precise shot placement. From "fun-loads" to "factory" - all grouped wonderfully! Thank you Chris.

Now I know why people like Merkel Double Rifles.

CHRIS's ORIGINAL AD IN THE CLASSIFIED SECTION .. AND THE PICTURE CHRIS SENT ME SHOWING ALL THE STUFF INCLUDED WITH THE RIFLE

.. MY CUSTOM SIGHTING TARGET - FEEL FREE TO COPY & TRY IT (right click & copy)

.. MY SIGHT PICTURE WITH THIS RIFLE

.. 4-SHOT GROUP FROM MY FUN LOADS

.. 2-SHOT FACTORY AMMO GROUP

.. I'M A HAPPY BABY

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That is a great rifle. Chris brought it out here to my range to shoot when he 1st got it. Also, I cast those bullets for him. I know I was using 5744 powder myself, I would have to check my records for the load if you are interested.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Buckstix, I have a hard time liking you, but it’s all out of jealousy.

Cheers to a nice addiction/addition.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
That is a great rifle. Chris brought it out here to my range to shoot when he 1st got it. Also, I cast those bullets for him. I know I was using 5744 powder myself, I would have to check my records for the load if you are interested.

Hello NormanConquest,
Thanks for the reply.

If its not too much bother, yes, I'd like to see your load data. I tried some 5744 for a reduced load with Hornady 500g DGX bullets. 60g = 1755 fps. I shot 2 pairs that grouped 1-3/8" & 1-5/8" @ 50yds.
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Buckstix, I have a hard time liking you, but it’s all out of jealousy.

Cheers to a nice addiction/addition.

Hello DCS Member,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its and addiction. My wife says I'm a hoarder ... I tell her; " .. yes, but there's no dead cats and newspapers in my hoard..."
I've read a lot about Merkels over the years, and I've seen many offered for sale at what I would call bargain prices. Its nice to finally have one join the family. Perhaps my post will help those looking for an adorable double rifle. It has features not found on more expensive doubles.

Specs:

Action: Anson & Deeley Boxlock
Weight: 10 lbs 10 oz
Barrels: 23-1/2"
Sights: One Standing & One Folding
LOP: 14-3/8
Features: Extended Rib w/ Greener Cross-Bolt
Features: Side-Clips
Features: Cocking Indicators
Features: Manual Safety
Features: Sling Swivels

** 4/18/21 UPDATE **

Another trip to the range - this time for a 100yd test. All groups averaged under 4". Here's an example.

Posts: 2115 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bucksticks! I have one just like yours and it shoots just as well with anything from factory ammo, to handloads!
I have owned several Merkel doubles rifles, in several chamberings, and none have ever given me problem one! Every one I have owned have been tack drivers.

........................................ tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Buckstix, I checked my loading ledger + I loaded those 500 G. casts W/43.5 G. of 5744 tamped with holofil for 1500 MV. That is a midrange load. I got my data from the ballistician at Accurate powders.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Congratulations Bucksticks! I have one just like yours and it shoots just as well with anything from factory ammo, to handloads!
I have owned several Merkel doubles rifles, in several chamberings, and none have ever given me problem one! Every one I have owned have been tack drivers.

........................................ tu2 oldMacD37

Hello MacD37,
Thanks for the reply.

Since you've had several, perhaps you can tell me which model this one is. When I look at specs of others on the internet, they're all a little different. I think this is an early model 140 (dash something) but don't know what the dash 1, or dash 2, or AE, means, and what features, are what. This one does not have a hinged front trigger, or a set trigger, or ejectors, and just one standing, and one folding rear site. If you (or anyone else) knows about these, please fill me in. I'm just curious to know what I have. I emailed Merkel with questions but have not received a response.

I emailed Pedersoli in Italy with questions about my used 45-70 Kodiak Double rifle, and they gave me all the specs including a copy of the Factory regulation target. I was hoping to get the same from Merkel.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Buckstix, I checked my loading ledger + I loaded those 500 G. casts W/43.5 G. of 5744 tamped with holofil for 1500 MV. That is a midrange load. I got my data from the ballistician at Accurate powders.

Hello NormanConquest.
Thanks for the reply.

Thank you. I also got my 5744 data from Accurate Powders. They are great. They also helped with data for some of my weird European cartridges, like my 11.15x60R. I gave them the caliber, and the case volume in grains of water, and they gave me data for "low" - "medium" - and "hot" loads. I have been using foam backing rod with reduced loads to take up the air space. I've used it with 5744 in all cartridges from 8mm Lebel, up to 700NE. I buy it in 100 foot rolls from Amazon in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" diameters. Its really cheap and it weighs almost nothing (1 to 3 grains) so it doesn't interfere with pressures.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Heck when I was younger and my eyes were better I couldn't shoot that well at 100 yards.

Pretty work and congrats!

tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owed Merkel DR’s in 7x65, 8x75RS, 9.3x74, 30-06, .375, 470. I’ve shot the .500 and the .450-400. Never had a bad one. My favorite was the 8x75RS, and it was a side lock.

They are a great choice not only for first timers, but for anyone.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My first DR was a Merkel 140-2 in 500 NE. It was hell for stout and well regulated. Would shoot anything I fed it to regulation. It wasn't finicky in the least as to what loads it would shoot.

Mine had extractors only and I got to be just about as fast on the reload as ejectors. I had no complaints at all against that rifle. I only got rid of it to have a bespoke VC built. Would have no qualms owning another.

Took several elephants and a couple of buffalo with it. I think they are very good rifles, especially for the money.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Heck when I was younger and my eyes were better I couldn't shoot that well at 100 yards.
Pretty work and congrats!
tu2
Hello DoubleDon,
Thanks for the reply.
At my age, that's about as good as I can see, and that's why I had to contrive a better target for my 69 year old eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I’ve owed Merkel DR’s in 7x65, 8x75RS, 9.3x74, 30-06, .375, 470. I’ve shot the .500 and the .450-400. Never had a bad one. My favorite was the 8x75RS, and it was a side lock.
They are a great choice not only for first timers, but for anyone.
Hello mdstewart,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
My first DR was a Merkel 140-2 in 500 NE. It was hell for stout and well regulated. Would shoot anything I fed it to regulation. It wasn't finicky in the least as to what loads it would shoot.
Mine had extractors only and I got to be just about as fast on the reload as ejectors. I had no complaints at all against that rifle. I only got rid of it to have a bespoke VC built. Would have no qualms owning another.
Took several elephants and a couple of buffalo with it. I think they are very good rifles, especially for the money.
Hello Todd Williams,
Thanks for the reply.
So far I've been surprised by how well it shoots different loads. I have doubles with ejectors, and some with only extractors. I have no worries that I'll be rushed and trampled by the paper targets I shoot.

** 4/23/21 UPDATE **

The only thing I was missing was a hard case. Well, a fellow from Nevada had these for sale. A Winchester 101 replica canvas and leather hard case. I bought it and fixed it up for this gun. First 2 pics are as received, next 2 are as fitted for this gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a .500 with ejectors can’t complain

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool case I’d like one for mine any details on it? Did you do it yourself?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
I got a .500 with ejectors can’t complain

Cool case I’d like one for mine any details on it? Did you do it yourself?
Hello gunslinger55,
Thanks for the reply.
I bought an empty case ... and I Merkel-ized it.