THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    double owners--what else do we have in common?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

double owners--what else do we have in common?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Good day, gents:
We all love double rifles. I'm curious as to what makes us tick as to our other interests and likes and what we do for a living.
As for me:
retired school teacher
57 years old
enjoy post war Lionel trains, York barbells and weight lifting, Corvettes--1969 big block, Winchester rifles in .50 express and .405, old movies (1930-50s), American history and biographies, African hunting-13 trips, living rural Alaska.
Currently own: 8-bore Locke, 4-bore Hughes, .600 Wilkes, .500 Rielly (bpe), .450 no2 Lang, .450-400 Harrison and Hussey, .600 Jeffery single shot.

What say you?
Cheers, all
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
This thread could be intersting. For my part:

- Retired Naval Officer and former Submarine Commanding Officer (fast attack, of course)
- 60 years old (pretty much a Dagga Boy)
- love fly fishing for trout / salmon
- love bird hunting and high end double barrel shotguns
- currently own Searcy 470, Searcy 450/400, Verney Carron 450/400, Chapuis 9.3x74R, and Chapuis 30R Blaser doubles with Searcy .375 flanged and Bailey Bradshaw 9.3x74R doubles on order
- got hooked on Africa hunting by watching "Curt Gowdy and The American Sportsman" as a youngster

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, I'll play:

-25 yrs old
-registered nurse (ER, as well as disaster response through US DHHS)
-volunteer fire/ems
-hobbies include diesel trucks, maple sugaring, brewing beer (amateur!), training my GSD, shooting/hunting, new reloader
-only double at this time is a Merkel 140.2 .470NE.
-was quite hooked on Africa initially (2yrs ago), now more interested in hunting the US.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll play,

44 years old.
Engineering Director in Automotive engineering company.(Licenced Bulder)
Born in Africa (RSA)
Hobbies, Scuba, Motorcycles (V Twins sportbikes), shooting, reloading, 4 Wheeling and working on jeeps, tinkering.
4 Hunting trips to Africa , since I left.
Own Krieghoff 470NE, Simson 20 Bore, Baikal 45-70 conversion, Ruger No.1 450NE Conversion.
Live in rural MI in Log house.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
55 yrs old
Born in India,presently in MI,proud to be an American!
Self employed,restaurant industry,prior to this,I was involved in the automotive industry,before that,technical aviation.
Hobbies,judo,gym,muscle cars,shooting,cooking,literature.
Five trips to Africa,love walking the bush with a rifle on my shoulder,I had read so much African fiction growing up,that now it seems like the most natural thing to do.
Rifles owned,,Heym 470,450/400,Krieghoff 500/416,Cz O/U's 458 Lott,375 H&H,Chapuis 9.3x74R.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
58 years old
proudly served my country in the USMC.
Former police officer
currently self employed, own a propane company in Colorado
learned and taught martial arts
love to shoot, just about anything from .22's to my Barrett 50 cal
had 5 trips to Africa and will have, the good lord willing, my 6th trip this year
currently own 3 doubles and waiting on a new .500 from B. Searcy maybe by March
Don't consider there to be anything special in my life that has been significant.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
59 years old
Retired from the USAF with 21 years service when I was 39, now a self employed wildlife photographer.
Love shooting everything but large bore revolvers really peak my interest.
Fast cars and even faster motorcycles (current ride is a Kawasaki 2012 Concours) really get my blood boiling and a new Corvette C7 stingray is in my future. Bikes, boats, cars, RV's, pretty much anything with a motor.
Own 4 doubles, Chapuis 30R Blaser, Chapuis 9,3x74R, Heym PH 450-400 and a Searcy 450 NE. Plan on adding a 500 NE one of these days.
Recently just pruchased a Blaser R8 and am so impressed with it my other bolt rifles are all being sold off.

Might get back to Africa some day but really not that interested.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A lot of us live in Alaska, Texas seems to have a lot also. Cal you said living rural but you did'nt mention your log home, I also have one but that might be only a few of us. Most of us are in our 50's Me 53 although I was in my 30's when I got my first double rifle and in my 20"s when I took my first big game with a double rifle ( a moose).
I bet we all have the Africa thing in common, I've only been twice though. I have hunted with a double rifle on driven boar hunts in several countries in Europe. An interesting hunt I was on for driven boar in France we had 17 hunters and all but one showed up with a double rifle.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Mike you need to post. Lets see if the Alaskans can outnumber the Texans.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ok Here it is Bob.
I'm 58, self employed in road building. I've owned DR's for 25+ years.
I currently own and shoot an even dozen ranging in size from 577/500 Magnums down to a 300 H&H. I'm working on getting more older English and Scottish when ever possible.
I've been to Africa twice,(if you count Egypt and being a tourist). I have hunted a bit in eastern Europe and Australia as well as here in Alaska.
I've also got lots of big HP engines in equipment and a couple of Vettes. A 71 small block and a 96 LT4.

Now we need to get Omni Bob to chime in!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Frostbite, You too!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
All Right:

My turn. 53. Safety advisor to the big bad oil industry in Northern Alberta; and loving it. Three side by side doubles; 45-70 baikal, 9.3x74R Antonio Zoli and 9.3x74R Merkel, with one 45-70 under construction by a very compitent but very lazy gunsmith. This is year six. Anyone want to take over?

Also love H.O. toy trains, scuba diving and hunting with my wife, trying to train my G.W.P.

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
60 years old this year.

I was a PE major and taught at a special ed school for a year. I have been killing bugs since for fun and profit.

I trained in Hapkido, judo and karate, but hapkido was my favorite

I like building boats.

I use to grind custom knives, build longbows, and ppc pistols ( worked for a gunsmith during the summers).

The DD is my dog of choice.

I have trained labs, pointers and standard poodles to hunt.I will hunt anything with feathers,ducks being my passion

I am handy with pistol,rifle shotgun or bow.

I can hold my own with flyrod or pushpole. .I caught a huge spanish mackeral on a 5 weight fly rod, and had it eaten by my buddy before I found out it was a state record

I been to Africa, Alaska,and Argentia to hunt, Berlise and Bahamas to flyfish

I have a 470, and a 9.3x74 SXS. A 9.3x74 o/u. My big bore is a 505 gibbs. smallest is a 17 hmr.

I won the southern nationals in small bore shilo. in both hunter and standard rifle one year in AA, A class. Came in 3rd at texas state hp championship one year in Shilo.

I was born in and have lived my whole life walking distance of New Orleans.

Married 37 years to the same woman.

I am glad I shoot better than I spell.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Age 72. Retired Air Force (31.5 years). Wife retire USAF Nurse Corps.
Registered Professional Engineer (AK, CO, OH, TX). Still active professionally.
Adjunct professor of engineering (physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, math)
10 years guiding in Alaska (fishing, duck hunnting, caribou).
Commercial fished (Kodiak, Bering Sea, Brsitol Bay).
Five hunts in RSA. Currently work as an administrator of a lodge in RSA during the busy season. Will attend PH school this March.
Two hunts and sailfishing in Mocambique.
Visited Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe.
Own three double rifles: .450 NE, .375 H&H. .45-70.
Will make 10th trip to Belize in April for fly fishing.
Active shotgun shooter with Vintagers.
Collect books, fishing tackle, etc.
Have accepted a visitng professorship in a South African Technical University for the 2014 academic year.

Eagle One

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Pappas,

Please ask our mutual friend Mr Wright (aka "He Who Wrote THE BOOK") to chime in here!

There's a certain Mr Hepner of my acquaintance from Down Under who happens to own the nicest 12lb Evans .500 NE I've ever seen that may just have a thing or two to contribute to this thread as well.

JvW

Posts: 390 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Age 44, Airline pilot, married to a veterinarian 18 years. Currently living in Colorado.

Krav Maga/MMA instructor and part time LEO, enjoy doing Cross Fit 3 to 4 days a week.

I've hunted Africa 6 times in the last 10 years I like Tanzania best but can't afford it anymore so I've done the majority of hunting in Zimbabwe with a smattering in South Africa.

Previously was a bush pilot in Ak, up north, Nome, Kotzebue, Dead Horse and Fairbanks. I did a lot of hunting and fishing while living in AK. I was also a guide in NM for 6 years until I ran out of time in the month between job and family so now only "guide" for friends and kids, and family.

I've owned two double rifles both Searcy .470's one was a field grade and the current one is a PH model. I am always looking for the opportunity to increase my double rifle diversity/inventory.

I have two daughters who are hunters and my wife has recently started to show an interest in hunting. I hope to take them all to South Africa soon and let them get some quality trigger time for training/experience purposes.

I hope to be able to keep on hunting and shooting and enjoying the outdoors into my ripe old age like Cal. Wink

All in good hunting.

beer

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What a fine bunch of gents we are!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Journeyman bricklayer, later mastermason.
44 years of age. Now study building construction.
Married to "Zuid Afrika" for 14 years almost.
Main interest is bookcollecting with british colonial history of India & Africa.
American history from 1850s to 1914 also have great interest too.
Throw in a Trans Am 455SD too. Thats what I like!.
I too like Cal have been collecting Winchesters with Brownings patents. I am in process to have an assessment done on a 50ex Customrifle M1886.
Things I have yet to do is to hunt in Montana and Alaska imho the last american frontier.
I too have done a bit a Colt SAA shooting with 1st. also as it was the only ones to find here in Denmark. I had 8 of them at one time.
Planing a 3rd trip to Africa this year.
Oh I almost forgot. I enjoy traditional longbow shooting too. Bend a stick and shoot the kings deer. I have a nice Yewbow done by Glen St,Charles.USA.
Favorit movies is Roadmovies from the 70s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKDQCYsEZM
Retirement hobby: Guineapig farming.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
39y/o father of six (all from the same wife of 18yrs no less...)
Have never lived more than six miles from the hospital in which I was born in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.
16yrs in medical device sales.
Have one patent.
Love English doubles (own 5) but have a thing for Brit/Scottish falling block single shots.
Dig vintage motorbikes and roadraced motorcycles for a few years. 600s, then 250cc and 125cc grand prix bikes. Now I have a '24 Indian Scout. Slower IS sometimes better...
I am a novice fly fisherman.
I am also a wannabe bird shooter and am getting two German Shorthairs in about a month.
Life is good!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a story I heard once; no doubt a true one; Read this with your best English accent. Three English gentlemen were each out for a walk in the park and all 3 happened to meet at a cross walk. Somehow recognizing that they were all veterans, the three began introducing themselves; the first said, "Smythe, South Wales Borderers/24th Regiment of Foot, Brigadier, Married, Two sons, both doctors." The second began; "Attenborough, Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, Brigadier, Married, Two sons, both barristers." The third old vet's turn came and in a rather more gruff voice than the others said, "Wilkins, Fifty Third Welsh, Sergeant Major, Never married, two sons, both Brigadiers."

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 50 yo..

Ex-army officer, Tank platoon commander..Home Guard etc..Captain..

Work as shift supervisor on an offshore oil rig.

Hunting and shooting, boating (sail/motor), have an old Jaguar to play with..books, africana, twice in Africa but no hunting yet..

Currently own: Only double is a SXS shotgun, mannlicher schoenauer 6.5x54MS by Charles Lancaster, mannlicher sch. in 9.5x57MS, CZ 602 in .375H&H, Magnum Mauser in .416 Rigby...lots of handguns etc..

A hunt in Africa is very high on my list..!

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
To you vets:

Thank You

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3456 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently hit 47
4-1/2 years in the Army despite my father being career Navy
Former industrial firefighter, rescue and ECA
Former volunteer firefighter
I've worked for 23 years in refining in petrochemicals. For the past 10 years I've worked for a refining-petrochemical technology company. Work doesn't take me away as much as it used to but seems to do so at all the wrong times.
Been around guns most of my life and have been a longstanding Mauser fan. Didn't get the DR bug until my 30's and finally managed to take the plunge under Cal's tutelage. Ended up with a Sabatti 450-450 that I am thoroughly pleased with although not so pleased that I have stopped looking for others.
I enjoy history, fishing and spending time with my son and getting him involved with hunting.
This year is my 20th anniversary. My wife and I have talked about an Alaska cruise for a while know. I am trying to figure out if she would be overly upset if I dropped her somewhere and paid Cal and his guns a visit.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal, Reprobates might be a better word for some of us!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
51 years old.
Married (same woman for 27 years)
Two sons 18 and 22 (Both have hunted Africa)
Former F/A-18 Pilot, US Navy
Former Airline Pilot (lost medical portion of license)
Currently work in Oil and Gas business.
Have started, operated, and sold several of my own businesses. Last one was Commercial Real estate development.
Over the years, my interests have included airplanes, boats, fast cars, Harley Davidson motorcycles but most of those come and go.
My interest in guns and hunting continue to be obsessive to put it mildly.
Currently into double guns and Africa as well as other overseas and adventure hunts.
Hunted Africa 8 times. Scheduled to go back again this year and next but have slowed down a bit from the last couple of year's schedule.
I like dogs, cats' not so much.
God has blessed me with a great family and the ability to pursue my interests. I am extremely grateful.
Cheers to all of you.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
33 years old
Electrician
Use to ride Harley's, Still have one that don't ride much. Since I have young kids I changed to car's. Faster, have A/C, and offer a lot more protection. Currently have a Viper.
Love Tractors, Have no real pressing need for one but still put around on mine once a week or so.
Spend just as much on tools as I do guns.
Leaving on 3rd safari in the upcoming weeks and going for elephant again.
Hunt waterfowl about 70 days a year. Western big game 7-10 days a year.
Spend lots of the time on our houseboat and just general family stuff.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
47 years old.
Married to the Mother of my two Children for 27 years.
Master Electrician, been in business myself since '94.
Wish I could sell my business..........
Hunted Africa 4 times, leaving in March for the 5th, ELEPHANT FINALLY.
Started shooting when I was big enough to drag a Daisy ( BB Gun ).
Love to hunt Waterfowl, trained many Retrivers.
Was a gear head.
Fish when I can't hunt, and shoot a lot.

Sabatti .470 and Verney Carron .470, I like the VC better, go figure.

There! One more for the Texas crowd!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal, Reprobates might be a better word for some of us!

Sounds more like a bunch of old Dagga Boys to me! beer

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
-"Retarded" Naval Aviator, thirty years, S-3 Vikings, 59 years old this year.
-Married same number of years to a Pensacola gal, three great kids
-It all started with a bb gun at age six-in Cuba before the democraps..er commies took over
-fell in love with Africa reading Capstick as an Ensign in flight training where my wife and I would read to each other because that's all we could afford
-two trips to Africa and one "in the book" for 2015
-Love doubles but I only have one, VC 450NE
- Had to go back to work in order to feed the habit, presently Security Director for a US Navy Sub base
-First Degree Reprobate to be sure!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7138 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
37 years old
Married,child,and 2 bird dogs. I have loved hunting in guns my whole life. Brought my first double rifle at 29 and have owned 4 different ones over the years since. I also love double shotguns and shooting sporting clays.
I also love flying,been a private pilot for 11 years, and have owned 2 planes...now that is expensive.
Hunted Africa,Alaska,and all over the western US.
I have been on the sales side of many different businesses, and have been in sales and writing sales contracts for the past 15 years. I love to travel--and have lived in the Texas Hill Country for the last 8 years..

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

Tanker Posit??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral,
Some of these guys ain't old like us so does the term "dagga boys" still apply?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Going to be 33 in a few months, time does fly! Getting married next year, in Bali if all goes to plan. I have a Honours degree in African Vertebrate Biodiversity, studied in South Africa. Have been doing environmental assessments for new wind farms focusing on avian and bat impacts. Works drying up though...

Grew up in Zimbabwe, my Moms side of the family were ranchers so weekends and holidays were spent tramping through some of the most beautiful bush in the country. Got my first gun when I was 7 and have been "somewhat" interested in the shooting/hunting pursuits since then Wink

Owned a few guns the ones I like the best are a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine, CZ 16 gauge and a recently acquired beautiful little Bernadelli .410 S/S.

Actively looking into a career change overseas,and am heading back to school...to study gunmaking, there's a surprise!! Got to work out how to support myself while back studying, no mean feat!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-30 years old
-Former Navy Electrician on submarines (boomers), now a power plant operator in Las Vegas
-Coming up on 11 years of marriage (on the 9th),2 boys, ages 8 and 5. Might be planning on a third (we'll see if the wife gets her way) Wink
-Was introduced to shooting by my grandfather who won a few SASS world titles
-Got my first double rifle back in July as a 30th birthday present to myself (Sabatti 500NE)
-No trips to Africa yet, but I may have developed quite an obsession, as I can't quit reading about it, or DVR'ing any African hunting shows I can find
-Hobbies include hiking, fishing, hunting, archery, and guitars

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost 53 years old
Started hunting when I could walk
Got a 410 SXS when I was 7
Begged my dad to buy me a SXS 450 Nitro at a gunshow for $925 when I was 9, he said I was crazy!
Graduated Colorado School Of Trades in 1979
Became a Tool & Die maker
Got thrown into farming, Said I'd never be a farmer. Never Say Never
Grow blueberries for a living.
Hunted Africa with a double three times and hope many more. Hunted Canada, Norway, Austrailia plus several states in the US.
First love are doubles but have shot them all. "I said I didn't have much use for one not that I didn't know how to use one." Tom Sellick
I've shot everything from 22 short to 50 BMG, CQB to long range.
I've built probably 50 bolt guns small bore to big bores.
Said I'd never shoot an elephant and now its all I really want to hunt.

Posts: 2828 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Tanker Posit??

OVHD Angels five 10 over five to give...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7138 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
78 years old
black belt in karate
usaf: 4 years flt. eng. B29s korea
7 children to the same women of 56 years
i always liked my doubles. i have hunted pretty much the north american cont.alaska, labrador,canada, cape breton n.s. i was never wealthy enough to hunt africa but enjoyed reading the exploits of those fortuate enough to experience the adventure. i have four double rifles a jp sauer hammer gun 1893 manuf. in 43 spanish an pedersoli hammer gun in 45-70 also a remington [russian] 45-70 and a converted lefever in 30-40 krag. i hunt with them every year and will continue to do so until i cant drag these tired bones out the door. life is good. regards bob

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Tanker Posit??

OVHD Angels five 10 over five to give...

Oh ... the memories, hey?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
yesir, it's ruined though. The first time I was working the tower taking a recovery and heard a female voice calling "plugged and receiving" kinda squashed the whole thing for me.... Frowner

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Just retarded was forman for a stripping crew did 4 years in the navy last ship was Kitty hawk was also a drill sgt. in the army rev. for 9 years. Like shooting hunting fishing have a 40 foot Bayliner. I knapp stone points for arrows and make my own bows form wood. Have two doubles a .72 cal muzzleloader and a 45/70.
Tom

Posts: 15 | Location: washington state | Registered: 18 January 2011Reply With Quote