THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    GREAT New Forum - Victor Sarasqueta, 60's Vintage 470 NE, How Are They?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GREAT New Forum - Victor Sarasqueta, 60's Vintage 470 NE, How Are They?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These are copies of the finest London designs, how is the quality, durability, steel, etc???

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The Spaniards have been plagued with an inferior-firearm label since they first started trying to build cheap guns for the US market. That’s not entirely their fault, as that’s what most importers of the time wanted from them. The only real problem I’ve heard of with Spanish guns is hardening of parts issues. The steel in general should be fine... question is-is it the right hardness for the function it performs.

IMO there are some crummy Spanish guns out there and there are some great Spanish guns out there, but just because they look like and H&H sidelock doesn’t mean you’re getting the same quality at a discounted price. It’s safe to say that there are probably none (or less than a handful) of Spanish made guns that truly compete with an English “best.â€

The short answer is that each Spanish gun (regardless of maker) has to be judged on an individual basis – even the famed Arrizabalaga aka “the Purdey of Spain†has made some sub-standard guns. In the case of a DR, remember there's a 99% chance that the barrels were made in Austria and are very good barrels (what's that company's name that makes all of the DR barrels now?). It's the rest of the gun you're concerned with.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Five Jack,

You have a PM. Also ask this question on the Nitro Express forums. I know someone there who has a Sarasqueta rifle which I have seen and shot and I'll let him reply to you.

Best wishes and good hunting,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN the 60s Sarasqueta doubles especially for belted magnum cartridges were to be avoided.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote