New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self Opening
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, this may be a really dumb question, but what is meant by the term "self opening" when describing a shotogun? I just looked at the H&H 1958 Catalog posted on this forum, and found the term.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
It is spring assisted in opening. I only have one shotgun that way. It’s ok. Nothing I would pay extra for.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at buying a Purdey 369 assisted opening. I had hurt my back and had a hard time closing the thing, no thanks.

Bought two Holland’s instead Smiler

Can’t see the point of assisted opening when you have the weight of two barrels helping.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A common Spring Assist Opening works by compressing the upper arm of the V main spring(s).
Usually in most any sidelock, that upper arm doesn't do any work and just sits in the lock with the end of the arm tucked in under the lockplate bolster edge.

In the Spring Assist Opening,,they take advantage of that unused spring arm.

On the action flat near the front edge and under each bbl is a milled out cut to accept a pivoting part. That part rotates around the hinge pin on each side.

A rod runs through the action horizontally from the front to the back that the link presses against. As the action/bbls are closed, those links are pushed downward rotating on the hing pin.
That pushes each rod to the rear of the action (inside)
At the rear the rod(s) push out backward and through another pivoting foot mounted on the lockplate, they compress the upper arm of each mainspring.

There they remain under tension as the gun is closed and the bbls locked.

When the action is unlocked and allowed to open,,the compressed upper arms of the mainsprings then push the rods forward,,push on the links rotating the upwards,,which push the bbl assembly open (for you!).

It does not matter if you have fired one or both,,or neither of the bbls.
Since it works off of the upper arms of the mainsprings, the Spring Assist Opening feature always functions when the gun is unlocked and opens.

The drawback as with anything using a spring,,you have to compress it to get any energy back out of it.

That is the extra effort in closing the gun shut each and every time you do close the bbls up on the gun.

..yes they can be somewhat annoyingly difficult to close when shooting a lot.
..unless your assistant is there with you of course who takes care of loading/reloading as you shoot away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Closing a Purdey is all about the technique, instead of the lead hand being on the fore end it slides forward toward the muzzle giving you greater leverage.

I have a Self-opening H&H and love it, quite a bit easier to close.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Purdeys are self opening. Great for opening but a real pain in the ass to close especially on a double rifle. Much easier to cock the hammers on an action that cocks on opening.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 years or so ago when H&H was reintroducing their Paradox a gentleman did a review I still remember in the DGJ. He remarked to the H&H rep that self opening was fine, but it made the gun harder to close. The rep replied, "Sir, our customers do no close their own guns." A "bit" out of my league! Wink

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Purdey using the main springs and H&H using a system in the forend

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the great answers!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Self opening Parker 20 ga circa 1900

So well worn that the barrels just open of their own weight.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In double rifles and some shotguns, you trade out the ejectors for extracters..all my double rifles had/have exracters, and will open by the weight of the barrels and close with a flip of the wrist or whatever process suits you best..Ejectors are difficult to open and shut and I personally have no use for them, they void the use of a double IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote