Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Why are Sabatti rifles regulated with expanding bullets (ie. Hornady DGX) instead of some variety of solids (say Hornady DGS)?

Seems to me that most shooters have the doubles to shoot the biggest, nastiest stuff out there and that the gun will be loaded with solids when that happens.

So, why?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart from Elephant, which of the other DG needs a Solid as the first bullet ?

And not that many people shoot elephants, so much easier to regulate
with SN bullets of some sort and load up a few solids when required.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that Sabatti is located in Italy, so perhaps they get whatever Hornady can send them. I have heard many here say that both the DGX and DGS will shoot to the same POI, or very close to it.

Their first shipments were regulated with Kynoch or Norma; I prefer they use the Hornady and apparently that is now the plan.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Traditional jacketed softs are easier on the rifle, i.e., less pressure, than traditional jacketed solids, which is how it has been done since the very beginning.

Hornady DGX softs and DGS solids are the same bullet, just flip-flopped. They should give the same velocities and pressures, which they do.

I would be very surprised if they didn't regulate the same too.

So if you are a factory ammo shooter, and shoot Hornady stuff, you should be home free.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend graciously supplied me with a number of factory loaded Hornady 450/400 DGX and DGS to test in my Sabatti yesterday. I didn't shoot many but, the DGX and DGS did seem to shoot to about the same POI. The DGS were ~65 fps slower and printed a little (maybe 0.5") lower at 50 yards.

Based on this test and the construction of each bullet, I believe they will shoot the same at the same velocity....

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
MJines, BobC, Watchman and I met Ammoloader out at the range yesterday. His Sabatti was spot on with DGXs & Solids! Nice warm up to the Hoot & Shoot next month!

Great to get to see everyone again!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I shoot Hornady 480 DGSs and DGXs interchangeably and exactly to the same poi out of my Sabatti .450 NE. It is the weight and velocity you are concerned about, not the construction. (For the record, DG series are steel jacketed.) In my 450-400 K, I shoot anything weighing 400 grains into one inch at 50. Including some Hornady 416 bullets I swaged down to .410, just to see what would happen. Shot perfectly and killed 2 hogs very well.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote