THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    *4/30/23 UPDATE* MADE PARADOX CRIMP TOOL #64 FOR ANOTHER BIG 8 GA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*4/30/23 UPDATE* MADE PARADOX CRIMP TOOL #64 FOR ANOTHER BIG 8 GA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I was really lucky finding this one. I looked for over 5 years to find a Paradox gun. Its a real hoot to shoot, and I plan to take it hunting for Wisconsin Whitetails this Fall.

Still have the late doe season to wrack a few with it.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buck made a 16 bore tool for my Manufrance 16 bore Paradox. It is a beautiful tool and easy to use. He even engraved the serial no. of my Paradox on the tool. Real quality.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Buck made a 16 bore tool for my Manufrance 16 bore Paradox. It is a beautiful tool and easy to use. He even engraved the serial no. of my Paradox on the tool. Real quality.

Hello Dutch44,
Thanks for the reply.

Your tool was No. 28 - I just finished tool No. 30.

It seem rather Strange I made this tool for a Manufrance 16 bore Paradox. It must have been a premonition. I just purchased a Manufrance 16 bore Cape Gun, so I'll have to make another 16 bore tool for myself. Take a look at what I got.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5105333/m/5151033362

NUMBER 28 WAS FOR A 16 GAUGE

THE 16 BORE CAPE GUN THAT I JUST PURCHASED - I HAD TO MAKE A 16 GAUGE CRIMPING TOOL FOR IT

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures of your Manufrance. I've two, both are the Model 28E. One in 12 bore and one in 16 bore.

I paid UK £40 for the 16 bore maybe now twenty to thirty years ago. The 12 bore was UK £240 but two years ago.

As with the USA here in the UK French shotguns aren't really that much loved nor liked. Strange really....but it is as it is.

The Model 32E-S (which yours is) dates around 1930 to 1931.

You'll often find the exact date stamped in ink on the back plain face of the buttstock if the buttplate is carefully removed.

As you've no doubt found to great delight the spring and rod under the barrels gives a self-opening/easy-opening ability to the gun.

The E for "ejector" and the S for "supra" (the rifled barrel)

The rifled barrel is NOT however primarily intended "for slug" as is often wrongly noted.

So these are not "cape guns" for big game but for something much much smaller. Rabbits and/or woodcock. I even have seen one...yes the one...rifled in both barrels.

But features can and do become benefits!

So as the advertising leaflet notes: "Enfin....." or roughly: "Finally, and a no less interesting side to this improvement our new rifled barrel allows shooting round ball, conical ball or the "MF Bullet" with precision, sufficient for distances from 50 to 100 metres."

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello enfieldspares,

Thank you - I already saw this post when you left it on the other forum under combination guns.

** UPDATE ** ** 1/19/21 **

I just finished the 31st Paradox Crimping Tool for a man in Maryland.

I never would have thought I'd make this many tools..

It's been a pleasure..

** UPDATE ** ** 2/24/21 **

I've made another 5 tools since my last update.

I just finished this 36th Paradox Crimping Tool for a man in Greenland.

It was a 14 gauge. I had to machine a brass 14ga shell to test the tool.

Making these tools for others has been fun.

I've got a few more crimp star left. pm me if you need a tool.

** UPDATE ** ** 3/20/21 **

I just finished this 37th Paradox Crimping Tool for a man in Greenland.

** UPDATE ** ** 5/14/21 **

I made a couple more and just finished this 39th Paradox Crimping Tool for a man in Alaska.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I just finished Paradox Crimping Tool number 40 and 41.

Tool number 40 was for a Holland & Holland 12 gauge Paradox Gun. Tool number 41 was a "Combo" tool. It works for both a 16 bore double rifle with 2-1/4" chambers, and for a 16 bore Howdah pistol with 1-3/4" chambers. An interchangeable sleeve allows loading both case lengths.

Also see the results for a 16 gauge tool I made for myself for my Austrian Poriska 450ex/16ga Cape Gun.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...5105333/m/6121037562

ANOTHER UPDATE ... as recommended by Cal Papas, I placed an ad in the Black Powder Cartridge magazine. Sold another 2 tools - a 12ga and another 12ga/16ga combo tool. Have now completed 43 tools for fellow shooters. Can still make a few more before I run out of materials. PM me if interested.

Here's my ad. The next issue will have an article about my Manufrance Cape gun, for which I also use my tool for loading both shot and ball.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to make a second tool that would take the cartridge as is currently crimped and force the crimp together and down even further like some of the original cartridges? It would be an additional, second crimping stage so to speak.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Would it be possible to make a second tool that would take the cartridge as is currently crimped and force the crimp together and down even further like some of the original cartridges? It would be an additional, second crimping stage so to speak.
Hello Grenadier,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I can make one ... but I'm not sure there is a reason to do it. Experiments have shown that my crimp is all that's needed for an accurate load. Also, it resembles an original Holland & Holland - and original kynoch crimp for paradox shells. see pics

Do you have a picture aof a crimped cartridge so I can see exactly what your looking for?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the cartridge. Those pictures look more like magnum cartridges. I've done those crimps one-by-one using the side of a screwdriver or pliers handle. I purchased one of your tools hoping it would make the full crimp. Don't get me wrong. Your tool is great - a huge improvement over what I had been doing. But the edges of those crimps make them harder to feed and I've scratched myself on them a couple of times.

I have an original magnum cartridge crimped as you show above. But I also have one of the original 2-1/2" standard H&H brass cartridges with the full crimp. I took some pictures.

I sent you a PM

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
It all depends on the cartridge. Those pictures look more like magnum cartridges. I've done those crimps one-by-one using the side of a screwdriver or pliers handle. I purchased one of your tools hoping it would make the full crimp. Don't get me wrong. Your tool is great - a huge improvement over what I had been doing. But the edges of those crimps make them harder to feed and I've scratched myself on them a couple of times.

I have an original magnum cartridge crimped as you show above. But I also have one of the original 2-1/2" standard H&H brass cartridges with the full crimp. I took some pictures.

I sent you a PM
Hello Grenadier,
Thanks for the reply.

I'll do some testing next week and see what I come up with. I'm thinking a tight crimp like that is going to be really hard on the brass - which will likely split along those tight fold lines.

I'll let you know.

Here's your pictures ....

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the original cases were annealed. I don't know, just guessing.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Grenadier,

Testing to make a special tool for your desired crimp has been delayed. Even with double annealing the case mouths would split with a single firing. Likely because of the harsh folds. I think those original cases were not intended to be re-loaded.

I just finished tool number 44 and 45. If anyone else is interested in obtaining one of my tools, please reply soon. I only have a very few components left.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

3/6/22

Well the New Year has started off grand. I just finished Crimping Tool No. 48 for a 4" long 8 gauge. That is one long cartridge. And finished tool number 49 - a 20 gauge, and number 50 - another 12 gauge - and 51 for a 10 gauge - and now number 52 for another 20 gauge. NEVER, NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE MAKING 52 OF THESE TOOLS.

Anyone interested in a Crimping Tool, please email me. VERY FEW COMPONENTS LEFT

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I was contacted by a former customer that bought 2 of my crimping tools asking if I could make him a Custom 12ga Paradox "Roll-Crimper" for paper cases. I had made one before for plastic cases, but never for paper ones. I said I'd give it a try. Its different from A conventional roll crimper because it has to accommodate bullet or ball or slug.

Well, here it is. Number "2" Paradox Roll Crimper. It has an adjustable center stem to position the bullet down into the case while rolling the crimp. its adjustable for different bullet nose shapes. I'll be making more of these upon request.

I also finished tool number 53 for 12 gauge. I evolved into making this style after tool number 10, and have stayed with it ever since. There are slight variation from one to the other because each tool is custom made. I only have enough components left for 2 more tools, so if anyone is interested in having me build them a tool, please reply asap.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Nice work Buckstix, Id get one but don't have a Paradox right now, only a Big 12 Bore rifle & don't get to shoot it much now days !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
Nice work Buckstix, Id get one but don't have a Paradox right now, only a Big 12 Bore rifle & don't get to shoot it much now days !

Hello Sarg,
Thanks for the reply.

Many buyers of my crimping tools use them for loading cartridges for "bore rifles" in various gauges, not only for paradox guns. Here's an example.

I also just finished a very special Paradox Crimping Tool #56 for a 40mm 20ga Bore Double Rifle. The shell is only 1-1/2" long.

And now I finished Paradox Crimping Tool #57 for a 10ga Double Rifle.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

here's an update ....

I've been busy making paradox crimping tools for my fellow shooters. Here's an update ..

tool number 58 for 12 gauge

tool number 59 for 12 gauge

tool number 60 for 10 gauge

tool number 61 for 12 gauge

and number 3 roll crimper for 12 gauge paper hulls

Thanks to all that had me make them a tool ... I am glad to make more if shooters need them. Send me a PM

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
here's an update ....

I've been busy ..... this is tool number 64 for another big 8 gauge

Thanks again to all that had me make them a tool ... I am glad to make more if shooters need them. Send me a PM