THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Ghost Sight on a Krieghoff double.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost Sight on a Krieghoff double.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My eyesight has now got to the point that I have problem with open sights on my double.
I have tried ghost ring sights on a friends bolt gun and I'm convinced that this is my best option.
Has anyone already done this ?
I can't find any commercially available standard item so I'm assuming I will have to have one custom made.
Any advice welcomed.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you Search this forum you'll find several examples.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9541 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several generalisations, but no specific options for the Krieghoff.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob, I wonder if one of these, particularly one that mounts on a picatanny or Weaver rail might be adapted to use on a Krieghoff.

https://www.xssights.com/uiima...SSProductCatalog.pdf

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike
I swopped emails with XS Sights during my research and they were quite unhelpful.
They initially said that had originally made a ghost sight for the Krieghoff, but had now discontinued it. When asked if they had any other similar sight that my gunsmith could use to customise there complete answer was "no "
I am currently awaiting a response to a similar request from New England Custom Guns.
Regards
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get a rear Recknagel QD mount insert for the rib, you could possibly do it two ways. Mine is not tall enough to allow a Ruger ring to clear the barrels, a taller insert is req'd, not much taller , either. Ruger ring is .545, mount is .555 wide inside. Slight mod to the ID of the Ruger NECG sight, with taller version mount insert would work that way.
Could also use the QD clamp off the Recknagel ring base, if you can come up with one, and install a ghost ring on it. If it has enough meat, you could conceivably dovetail the top of it, and use whatever dovetail version ghost you can find.
That is something you could look into anyway.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
209jones
Many thanks, that's really helpful.
I have a very good gunsmith/gunmaker friend who could do the work for me, but I want to make the process as simple as possible by starting with the easiest option.
Regards
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here is a peep sight I made for my Heym 577.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mount I am thinking of is the H7 style. May be possible to make a dovetail adaptor to put on top of it, if it doesn't have enough meat to do it on the mount itself. Or make up a taller rib insert that has the dovetail in it. That would give you the most options for stuff like WGOS rear sites and etc to try out. All you need is enough barrel clearance to be able to install them. Don't know if yours is set up like mine, but, it has a removable front site post that can be replaced with a taller one or shortened as necc.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Srose
That looks very neat and sturdy. What size diameter hole and ring wall thickness did you decide on ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ring is .375 diameter with a 7/32X40 threaded hole to use standard peep sights. I use a smaller peep for target shooting and use the ghost ring for hunting. Works great. This sight is non adjustable and has to be set up with the right height from the start. You can get some adjustment if needed by changing front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another view of sight.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Question, is a ghost ring better mounted closer to your eye or further from your eye? I really have no idea but presume it is more effective mounted one way or the other since you want it to basically show up slightly blurred out.

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, they need to be pretty close, so your eye naturally centers the front sight inside the "ghost" of the rear sight in the periphery of your sight picture. I've used them on ARs, combat shotguns, and my father's 30-40 Krag carbine he used as a kid Deer hunting in Wisconsin.

They are a great option for us older shooters (past 45), where close-up vision is the first thing to fade. The front sight on a normal rifle barrel is far enough away to be crisp and in focus. I'd use one on a DR where I wouldn't use a scope.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep the closer the better that's why I remade the peep for my 577 to get it a little closer. Target shooters want it right up to the eye so they can use a very small aperture to improve accuracy. Now on a big bore you don't want it too close. These are the fastest sights you can use.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Here is another view of sight.

Nicely done, Sam. I like the way you contoured it to follow the lines of the Greener rib extension.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, Yes it doesn't get in the way and looks pretty sharp. Pain to make though.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Thanks Chris, Yes it doesn't get in the way and looks pretty sharp. Pain to make though.

I think it is really fine work! You are a skilled
fellow Sam.
clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
My eyesight has now got to the point that I have problem with open sights on my double.
I have tried ghost ring sights on a friends bolt gun and I'm convinced that this is my best option.
I can't find any commercially available standard item so I'm assuming I will have to have one custom made.
Any advice welcomed.

Hi Rob,

If you go custom made it might be worth having a chat with Marc Newton at Rigby. I rather like the fact that you can go through the back of the gunroom to the workshop and show the workers exactly what you need.

Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a WGRS sight with the firesight ghost add on, it is about the same height as my Recknagel ghost. This one is for the muzzle loader with a flat base for an octagon barrel. The only issue, is it requires drilling and tapping the rib. I was trying to avoid the amount of work it will take to do one like Sam's. But, that may be the way I have to do it, to lower the whole setup and have it detachable as necessary.
Still playing with it.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice workmanship, srose, on the sight.

I've often wondered why peep, or aperture, sights are (were) not more popular on double rifles. I see how they were the "bees knees' on the single shots and lever rifles of the pre-'scope years. It seems they would be right at home on any double for a fast acquisition of a target.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Skinner Sights,as they have some very compact sights. There is a pic. of one of their sights mounted on a double rifle.

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Any advice welcomed.

Rob,

I have the same issues. I shot this group....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/3461051402

....with this rifle and Ghost ring sight.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...831067951#6831067951

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that could be set up to fold down flush into the rib, on the Recknagel swing off mount. Hmmmmm.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Borrowed this picture, but it seems an elegant option on a merkel

custom made, I imagine you could adjust the threads for elevation adjustment - this one is 1/2 rotation = 1/2in @100 yards I think

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote