THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Dallas Range for Double Rifle Practice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas Range for Double Rifle Practice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know a location for Double shooting around Dallas? Went to Elm Fork over the weekend and they only allow sitting/bench - I'd like to get in some work with shooting sticks...

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Good question. I haven’t tried Dallas Gun Club off sticks, but I’ll call tomorrow. I’m a member and would host you if the answer is yes and I can fire yours a few times!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always happy to share - please let me know if it's an option.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ll let you know once I have an answer. It may be a bit before I can take you, but I’ve got a few new guns that need to burn powder or just check zero. They are only open Wednesday-Sunday and are basically in Lewisville (I-35/121) if that works for you.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If you find such a place, please post about it.

The range I once used has closed and I have to use a friends family range out near Greenville.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Couple of good places outside of Fort Worth but they are going to be a pretty good drive from Dallas.

One is Triple C Range in Cresson. That's between Fort Worth and Granbury. It's one of the nicer ranges I've ever shot on. Something for everyone including Pistol Pits, tactical range with old cars, separate 1,000 and 2,000 yard ranges, etc. Since loosing our deer lease, it's where I shoot these days.

The other is a little further out. It's near Mingus off of I-20 west of Weatherford. Nice range as well including a 1,000 yard range but it's a drive.

Both of these places allow shooting offhand, sticks, etc.

Personally, I recommend Triple C Range. Check their website below.

https://www.triplecrange.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Arlington Sportman's Club in Mansfield allows shooting off sticks at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to be rude. Please take no offense, but could you change the title of the thread?

I thought you were asking about a “shooting” in Dallas. When I saw it on the front window.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am not trying to be rude. Please take no offense, but could you change the title of the thread?

I thought you were asking about a “shooting” in Dallas. When I saw it on the front window.

Unfortunately, there have been way too many lately. The new chief is getting a lot of heat. However, I don’t think any of the shootings have been done with bouble rifles.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I changed the thread title

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Unfortunately, there have been way too many lately. The new chief is getting a lot of heat. However, I don’t think any of the shootings have been done with bouble rifles.

Thank you for the title change. DCS my thought was purely mental reaction. That and the fact a lot of the double rifle community is based in Texas. I thought someone in Dallas was letting us know something. Those were my thoughts that acts faster than my brain. If that makes sense.

Swoobie what rifle are you shooting?

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Thank you for the title change. DCS my thought was purely mental reaction. That and the fact a lot of the double rifle community is based in Texas. I thought someone in Dallas was letting us know something. Those were my thoughts that acts faster than my brain. If that makes sense.

Swoobie what rifle are you shooting?

All good. I do not like how clarity can be oft questioned on the internet. When I see a thread that is just titled with a name, I fear it is a notice of passing. Luckily, it’s not always the case.

I forgot to call the range and headed out of town, but I will call tomorrow. I am curious about what two pipe you want to fire off. DSC did have their Big Bore shoot not long ago. That location might also be a possible location.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The double I need to practice with is a 470 NE...

So update - found a spot on the east side of the metroplex, called and they said ok to okay to sticks and okay for 470 nitro, as long as I didn't use solids. When I arrived, was told they did not allow shooting from sticks, but after walking through my phone conversation with them, they allowed me a few shots from sticks. I was told not to expect to be able to shoot off sticks again, so I still haven't found a home yet...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I am glad you got to send a couple down range.

Why do people care if you shoot off sticks? How does that make the range unsafe? Or less safe than not shooting off sticks. It is their place, so they make the rules. However, o do not see the big deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you. I am glad you got to send a couple down range.

Why do people care if you shoot off sticks? How does that make the range unsafe? Or less safe than not shooting off sticks. It is their place, so they make the rules. However, o do not see the big deal.

I'm not completely clear, but I believe part of the issue may be that it's easier to throw a shot over the berm.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
http://www.poetryshootingclub.com/ Perhaps?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the poetry range is owned and operated by Walter Patton,a DWWC member, and last time I checked he does allow offhand and shooting off sticks. The DWWC has held youth shooting events there dating back several years. It is definitely worth a call.
Thanks Aaron for the reminder.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was contemplating a move to Dallas area but this sounds ridiculous trying to find a decent range. Got so many here in AZ as well as desert might forget that option. What is wrong with Texas you need some better shooting range I guess? Granted I am spoiled Smiler

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Lawyers are some of the problem (or the snowflakes that hire them).
The 500 yard range just north of my place also had good pistol facilities, a 6 station clays range, and a cowboy action range. The range was only open Thursday through Sunday and the owner/operator lived there.
The range was in an unincorporated country location but there were a couple of residences about. One of the "neighbors" threatened to sue the range owner over the noise. The owners legal counsel told him that the lawsuit could drag on and cost thousands of $$ and that the complaining neighbor had deep pockets; the owner worked out an agreement to operate only the Cowboy Action range a couple days per month.

A darn shame!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That sucks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
It was bad luck!

However, now there is a range just 10 miles south that has rifle, pistol, gun store + classes for youth and concealed carry.
No shotgun or off hand rifle shooting, but better than nothing. Plus, they will order new guns at price below list!
http://www.armadilloguns.com/
I can drive 15 miles to my friends farm if I want casual shooting with anything.
I practiced there a lot before taking my 1895 .405 to RSA for cape buffalo; used paper buffalo pix targets and burned ammo offhand and off sticks.
When it came time to shoot my buff, it was old hat. Then we toured Kruger.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Hey, we may not have ranges that allow shooting off sticks or public lands to target shoot at, but at least we got high property taxes!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote