New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't you just hate....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you open the safe to inspect or show some of your prized rifles and find some rust? Happened to me today. Underneath the barrel on my Chapuis UGEX 30R I found two spots of rust and a tiny bit on the regulation wedge. Have no idea how it happened. But it goes to show you that we should all take our rifles out at least every 6 months and give them a good inspection and wiping down.

Now the barrels will have to be sent to a good smith to have them refinished. I should be thankful it happened to my least expensive double but it still makes a shooter sad to find rust on a quality rifle. Golden rods are in each safe and no other rifles or handguns were affected.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need a dehumidifier.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
It sounds like you need a dehumidifier.

That's what the "golden rods" he referred to are..

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
There's a great test comparison on solvents, anti rust, cleaners etc. around here somewhere. I think off the home page. Worth a look

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Corrosion test at 6mmbr They found Eezox or Corrosion X worked best with Eezox also being a water repellant and it protects dry.

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe he needs a new one?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Another (actual) corrosion test: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have been hospitalized for attempting sucidie.

Posts: 10749 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
quote:

Maybe he needs a new one?

Doubt it. It still works. 40 different guns in two safes sitting side by side. Only one had the rust. I cant explain why. Just have to suck it up and pay for a barrel reblue. Only thing I can think of is maybe some bluing salts leached out of the rib.

I did read that review of different products and all my Rem oil is going into the garbage. Ordered some Hornady One Shot cleaning spray and some Hoppes gun oil. Will try these as well as some Ballistol that was graciously passed onto me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe:

Order "Hornady One shot Tap HD Extreme", not the standard one. It has better protection.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I know some people in extremely high Humidity area's use two rods in one safe?

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hey Randy

Don't panic yet. Try some Hoppe's #9 on 000 steel wool. Has worked for me multiple times in the past. PM me for more info.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, I'll give that a try. Nothing to lose at this point.
Thanks for the tip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with EEZ-OX and steel wool.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't panic yet. Try some Hoppe's #9 on 000 steel wool. Has worked for me multiple times in the past.

+1

Only instead of Hoppe's #9 I use Break free CLP

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gently scrape the rust with a piece of copper. Finish with 000 or 0000 steel wool with a lubricant. Wd40, Break free or any thin oil will work.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also try "Way Oil".
Way oil is made for lubricating machine ways, such as on a lathe. It is designed to remain on the metal for lubrication purposes, but should also shield the metal from moisture. Before taking to the field, a wipe down would be appropriate.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't panic yet. Try some Hoppe's #9 on 000 steel wool. Has worked for me multiple times in the past.

Rather than Hoppe's, use 0000 steel wool thourouly saturated with a high grade 10w30 motor oil. Be very careful not to let a single "dry" fiber of the steel wool touch the barrel or it will scratch the bluing.

Then try to find some of the "old original Hoppies #9" to wipe down the gun to protect it. (I buy it on ebay) The new stuff won't work as well by a long shot. You can tell the "old stuff" by the strong smell, or look for bottles that don't have a zip code in the address. That's still the old formula.

If the rust spot has formed a "scab" you can scrape it off with a piece of cartridge brass and the 10w30 oil. Any brass that transfers to the barrel will come off when you wipe down with the old Hoppies #9.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2111 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hoppe's and 000 took care of most of it. But the issue was not caused by carelessness. One of our members here who I have a great deal of respect for when it comes to double rifles reviewed some photos of the rust and stated "the rust is originating from between the barrel rib and barrels and probably a result of the flux not all being neutralized". I kind of suspected this as I seen the same thing on a Searcy once.
Just going to have to suck it up and send it to JJ.
I bought this rifle about 6 years ago and doubt there will be any type of warranty repair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle was rust blued it is likely the blemishes could be brightened and spot rust blued. Should blend in with the original.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3663 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
The Hoppe's and 000 took care of most of it. But the issue was not caused by carelessness. One of our members here who I have a great deal of respect for when it comes to double rifles reviewed some photos of the rust and stated "the rust is originating from between the barrel rib and barrels and probably a result of the flux not all being neutralized". I kind of suspected this as I seen the same thing on a Searcy once.
Just going to have to suck it up and send it to JJ.
I bought this rifle about 6 years ago and doubt there will be any type of warranty repair.

Had the same problem with a Heym 37B Deluxe double rifle drilling about 10 years ago. Sent it to a less known but excellent gunsmith. Problem was solved. Not a major deal. Hang in there!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
15 years ago another hunter gave me a can of Ezox and I have used it for storing guns.

Amazed at how easy it is to us and how good it is at keeping the rifles well protected.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wax the barrel, action and other external metal with Johnson's floor wax. Stays put during storage and protects while hunting. One can has lasted about 30 years. Probably another 30 to go.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I find some rust on my rifles or shotguns, I always use Big Frontier Metal Cleaner - will take off rust and not hurt your finish. Pretty much magic. Funny find from reading way too many firearms forums, but its legitimate. You can buy it on amazon.

http://www.big45.com/

Have never had a gun rust in a safe since I started using VCI emitters in the safe. Have also used in gun socks.

http://www.theinhibitor.com/VC...Hunting-Gear-s/1.htm

They just work.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I moved from Maine to Florida to Australia all in 2010.

Guns went to Wyoming before we got on Quantas.

Had 3 wood guns with cracked stocks within 5 months at Dad's house.

Humidity is not only a problem for rust.

Posts: 7766 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I had a Chapuis 9.3 that had a similar problem with rusting.

None of my other guns in my safe would be rusted just the Chapuis.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not use steel wool on guns. Use bronze wool. Much softer and will get the job done without damage to the finish.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally quit putting this off and called JJ. He said it sounded like a "flux" issue. He also informed me he might be able to get Chapuis to cover the reblackening costs under warranty if indeed it was caused by the flux. If not, gave him the go ahead to repair/refinish.
Barrels were sent to him today. I'll update what the final outcome is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The perfect solution is to get the hell out of Tenn., move to El Paso, Texas, Tucson Ariz. or Filer Idaho..Humidity is 2 on a rainly day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Even though I live in Denver, I keep a golden rod in my safe. Better safe than sorry!

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The perfect solution is to get the hell out of Tenn

Hell, he just moved to Tennessee!

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Been in the new house for over a year and the wife and I LOVE it here. We ain't movin again as long as we are alive. Wasn't any sense addressing his comments as he ignored the fact the rust was most likely caused by flux and not humidity. Nothing I could of done to stop it other than sending it to the expert himself, JJ.

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
A golden rod does not remove humidity. It simply warms the air to keep condensation from forming. My house is air conditioned, I use a large (18 watt) rod and 2 large cans of desiccant. Recharge the cans every 6 to 12 months as needed.
Rust in the gun safe is about as scary as it gets.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biebs,
Been in the new house for over a year and the wife and I LOVE it here.

Great, glad you like it down in the states.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I adore a bag of Damp Rid and a golden rod its amazing how much liquid the damp rid takes out of the safe and its cheap

Posts: 24 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 10 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would update this thread.

JJ determined the rust was caused by flux and was a Chapuis warranty issue. He reblackened the barrels and they look as good as new. He billed Chapuis for the warranty work. Kudos to JJ. He could of easily just billed me for the mess and not of went to the extra trouble to get the factory involved. First rate guy to do business with.

The rust had nothing to do with bad oil, to much moisture, lack of oil, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
biebs,
Tell me how you love Tenn. after you survive a Hurricane!! in which case I will put you and yours up until the water level subsides!! no charge but expect a couple of gun trades!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Dehumidifiers are good, if they actually work properly and you remember to keep up with their state of absorption.

Most important, though, is air circulation. A couple of mates (one a former instrument maker, the other a fitter and turner/amateur gunsmith) actually keep their guns in canvas bags in their safes, to protect them from bumps). The latter was disappointed to find the barrel of one rifle had got a bit of rust in it.

I've told both that keeping guns in bags and cases is not a good idea because they might 'sweat' and they looked at me as though I was nuts. How could a gun 'sweat'? Since steel is neither organic nor porous, that proposition seems absurd - but what if the bag or wood still has moisture from that time they were caught out in the rain?

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote