New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U Double Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy#3, That is sad about your dad passing away.

I have a Ruger red label 20 ga and a 12 ga. Can you tell me about getting rifle barrels made for it? Who did the job for you? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind thought, Brian. Being best hunting buddies, it was pretty tough.

From what I understand, the Ruger conversion was a joint venture between Bill Ruger and Paul Jaeger, that didn't work out. American rifleman magazine (November 1982) had a write up on them.

From what I know, they made them in 45-70 and .375 H&H. Total numbers vary, from what I have seen, but it seems most were 45-70. There is a 375 on gunbroker right now, that is similar to mine.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896655026

There are custom gun makers out there, that can take a ruger shotgun, and use the existing monoblock and receiver, to make a double rifle. Not cheap, but not much in the double rifle world is. But it's a possible option?

Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy#3, Thanks. I have had my single shot H&R 10 ga. break open shotgun re barrelled to 50-110 and 577NE. ( switch barrels) I put new wood on it and killed cape buffalo with it.
The Ruger/Jaeger venture rings a bell for me.
Thanks for your response. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ease and expense of mounting a scope on an O/U double rifle is an important consideration if you are inclined to do so. It can vary considerably.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vangulik, Very good point. Thanks, Brian

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have an Over/under double rifle chambered for 9.3X74 made by Miroku that labeled WINCHESTER! This double is lucky to keep two shots on the side of a large outhouse. I'm thinking about letting Aaron Little re-regulate it, because it is a very nicely finished double, and will be nice with a Doctor Optic to compensate for the macular degeneration in my right eye.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' old ! !hell to get old and blind in my right eye! MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

And my all time favorite ...

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

Oh yeah, and that bit about loading an Over and Under gun as fast as a real Double Rifle ...

coffee

Cool

you can add inaccurate blaser to your list Big Grin

Mike

I would like to see Todd go against a Blaser with his all powerful 500 NE,four shots @1000 yards lol beer

.....And I'd wager Todd would win it!
.................. jumping old MacD37

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

And my all time favorite ...

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

Oh yeah, and that bit about loading an Over and Under gun as fast as a real Double Rifle ...

coffee

Cool

you can add inaccurate blaser to your list Big Grin

Mike

I would like to see Todd go against a Blaser with his all powerful 500 NE,four shots @1000 yards lol beer

.....And I'd wager Todd would win it!
.................. jumping old MacD37

Any competition against a Blaser thingofamabob is won before the event starts.

Blaser thingys are nothing but a stunt.

An answer to a question not asked.

The solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

An embarrassment to the shooting sports.

And yes, Blaser fanbois, we are laughing at you, not with you!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, so much hate packed into such a small brain!

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Wow, so much hate packed into such a small brain!

Big Grin

So much hatred and little does the blaser world care about the hatred spewed by the peanut gallery dancing

Blaser is sold out for 2021.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I have an Over/under double rifle chambered for 9.3X74 made by Miroku that labeled WINCHESTER! This double is lucky to keep two shots on the side of a large outhouse. I'm thinking about letting Aaron Little re-regulate it, because it is a very nicely finished double, and will be nice with a Doctor Optic to compensate for the macular degeneration in my right eye.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' old ! !hell to get old and blind in my right eye! MacD37

I had one in 270 that shot the same. The method by which the barrels are joined may make re-regulation more difficult.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:

I had one in 270 that shot the same. The method by which the barrels are joined may make re-regulation more difficult.

You may well be correct about the re-regulation of this little double, but if anyone can get the job done it is Aron Little!
.................................... CRYBABY but hope is that he can!

........................................... old MacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian. Would a 9.3x74R be big enough? If so the Fabarm Asper 2 would fit well under your budget. The Shooting Edge in Calgary sells them. I have the original Asper and it is a great gun. The Asper 2 has in my opinion nicer styling and also adjustable regulation. My Asper has unconventional styling but it’s handling is simply amazing.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadaboy, Thanks, I didn't know about the Asper rifle. I will definitely check it out. Sounds very interesting. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadaboy, that is a sweet looking little rifle. The cartridge section is not right for me. But, thanks for telling me about it. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
l have a Fausti u/o in 45-70. A great carry around rifle. Shoots well. When getting a left hand stock made for it at the factory, had a second barrel set made for it in 9.3x74R. A nice versatile package

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Jaeger O/U's on the Ruger were the first venture on that frame.

Next Butch Searcy made several of them.

Back in the 80's I made up 4 O/U rifles for customers
I made one on a Ruger 20 ga, with a new machined mono block, a 20 ga on top and a 375 on the bottom, with a 1/4 rib and Kimber rings for a scope.

I also converted 3 Browning Citori shotguns into O/U rifles, again machining new mono blocks so the shotgun barrels were left intact.

WOW had not thought of them in years.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This maybe a silly question. I have S by S doubles including 45-70 and also O/U Krieghoof shotgun. What are the views of just putting in insert barrel sleeves in the 12 G barrels in Krieghoffs for 45-70? Could they handle +P 45-70 loads?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:
This maybe a silly question. I have S by S doubles including 45-70 and also O/U Krieghoof shotgun. What are the views of just putting in insert barrel sleeves in the 12 G barrels in Krieghoffs for 45-70? Could they handle +P 45-70 loads?

Not 45-70, but I have an insert barrel in 7x65r that fits into the 16 bore barrel of my combination gun turning it into a double rifle. Works well. 45-70 is lower pressures than 7x65r, but I think a wider rim, so you need to your back thrust calcs.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
LR3,
The 45-70 insert barrel worked fine in my Savage O/U .22 Hornet/12 ga. Since the insert was 18 inch rifled barrel, the sound was muffled inside the longer shotgun barrel.

It shoots 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards - good enough for woods hunting. I shot Winchester300 grain Nosler PP.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Pretty sure I've seen photos and commentary from Xausa on here with a Kreighoff Teck O/U in .500 Nitro and maybe .375 (not sure on that, but I know he had multiple barrel sets for it). Several buffalo and at least one elephant if memory serves.

He got it in Germany and did quite well with it.

Maybe the O/U isn't traditional, but I doubt a practiced rifleman is any slower with one. It's what you know when the time comes IMO.

Jeremy

I actually have several Krieghoff Teck O/U double rifles, including the one I took on all my African hunts. It is in caliber .458 WM, with interchangeable barrels in .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" Magnum. I killed an elephant and a buffalo with the .458 barrels, a lion, leopard, eland, greater and lesser kudu with the .375 H&H barrels and a lot of sand grouse, ducks and guinea fowl with the shot barrels.

I also have a DR in .450 C&W, which is merely a rimmed version of the .450 Watts and I am waiting delivery on a 12 gauge Teck with .500 NE extra barrels. It is still at my German gunsmith's shop in Suhl beinig restocked.

This is my Ulm Primus Krieghoff in caliber 8X65R, with hand detachable side locks. It is also awaiting import.

Anyone who has shot as many rounds of skeet as I have with a Perazzi or other O/U double should have no trouble with a rapid reload of an O/U double rifle. My O/U rirfles are all equipped with ejectors, like my shotguns, which simplifies the reloading process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:

Insert barrels are available in Germany which would fit your shotgun. They are full length barrels with adjustments at the muzzle to regulate them. I have one such barrel in caliber 6X52R Bretschneider, a cartridge derived from the .22 Savage High Power, in the shot barrel of my 7X75R/12 ga. Krieghoff Teck combination gun, making it what the Germans refer to as a Bergstutzen, or double rifle with two different caliber barrels. https://www.einstecklauf.de/classic.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

following your thread i did purchased an old valmet 412 in 9.3x74r double rifle plus a 23.5 inches 12 ga 2 3/4 barrels with a scope mount.

i already had a valmet 412 12/222 rem so now let s try to find an extra barrel with 12/9.3x74r or 7x65 or 8x57jrs.

enjoy the day.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medved,

I think that the Valmet 412 in 9.3X74R is a very good rifle. I would like to have one. Thanks for mentioning it. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil and O/U devotees,
My post was only passing on what Ive read in print and by some of the old timers of Africa, and of me shooting one O/U 450-3.25 as I recall, and I did have trouble with loading it fast as the action was stiff but it was as described in my early reads..Other than that I have no experience..but it complied with the poster question..Fact or fiction I have no idea, but seems to me the guns never made a big hit with the DG hunters world wide for some reason???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote