New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U Double Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being an old shotgun man, sporting clays and goose hunter, using Beretta and Browning superposed, I would like to have an "affordable" over/under rifle in 45-70 or similar cartridge. (Low side of buffalo and high side of lion.) Any suggestions? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, just about all the European manufacturers offer O/U double rifles. They range from low-cost rifles from Russia, Turkey and the CZ Republic, up to higher-priced Heym, Verney Carron, Merkel, and some of the Ferlach makers. As with most things in life, it's all a matter of how much you want to spend.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs, Maybe even a Merkel. (I'm a bit of a cheap bugger.)
The Merkel's are pretty good, Right?
The cheap Turkey CZ O/U are rough but reliable, Right?

I will check out Ferlach makers, they are new to me.
Thanks again, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, skip the Ferlach makers....they're usually pretty top-end. I once had a Merkel B3 Deluxe which was a nice rifle. Verney carron makes an O/U at around $4K or so.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, if you wanted to stay on the cheap side just to play around and see if you like them, keep an eye on this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896280866

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I think that the Merkel or VC would be best for me. The $4,000 to $6,000 range is in my wheelhouse.
I want to step up from my current class of break open, single shot, big bores. I have put nice wood on them and love to hunt with them, but I would still like to own a decent double.

I am thrilled with $2,000-$3,000 O/U shotguns, so the Merkel and VC would be real "downtown" for me.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That price range will get you a nice rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, you specifically mentioned an O/U rifle, yet no one has mentioned the Tikka Finn Classic 512 SD. I have one. It is a beautiful rifle, and I have several barrel sets for it. I would suggest that you check them out. One advantage of an O/U vs a SxS is that they can be regulated quite easily.
Just my $0.02!
On a different note, I shoot Skeet with O/U shotguns, and all my bird hunting has been with an O/U shotgun, but, an O/U double rifle handles completely differently than an O/U shotgun. They are much heavier! Also, O/U's typically are designed to be easily scoped. I have scopes on all my barrel sets. I think the heaviest caliber I have in the Tikka is a 9.3x74R
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can second the Valmet 412/Tikka 512 as an option. Not as pretty as others, but a well made system. I have one with 12ga, 30-06, and .375 FL Mag (not factory) barrels.

Kreighoff made the Teck that is very nice, IMO, but also very German in style. I see those for fair prices in a wide variety of chamberings. There are a few Italian makers building them as well.

You will see FN and Browning O/U rifles as well, and they are priced well, but have a rep for poor regulation. That is second hand info, so take it as that.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Zoli is still offering its double rifles or not. But they made a good one based on their Z gun series. They are solid, reliable guns with an easily detachable trigger group. I plan on carrying my 450/400 again this coming brown bear season and used models occasionally pop up for sale around $5K

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And Chapuis makes a nice one in that price range also. They have a version with adjustable regulation, or they have the standard permanently regulated type.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter and farbedo. I forgot about the excellent Valmet/Tikka. A friend had one in 9.3x74 years ago and I really liked it. Then it just fell off my radar. I will check it out. Thanks, brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, I checked out the Zoli after your email. Very nice. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
skl1, Yes the Chapius looks like a contender. Very nice. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe has a new Zoli O/U in 9.3x74R on their web site for $6.5K.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks vangulik, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
The main complaint that comes up with over/under DG rifles is they don't open up enough to quickly reload in that they come up short, and they are hard to regulate..and this doesn't apply to shotguns, just double rifles apparantly. A any rate thats been the word for many years..Ive bought and sold a couple and actually shot one day at the range, thats been some years ago, and it was,infact, hard to open enough to get that lower barrel unloaded to loaded..so maybe their is something to that, it existed on that particular gun, it was a German 9.3x74 rimmed?? I think of some make that I don't even recall, a pretty and well balance little jewel that Id liked to have hunted elk with in the thick stuff in Northern Idaho..

Other than that, my take on the subject is I would prefer a side by side to start with and would rather spend a grand or two for the difference, knowing it will hold the value enough to balance out and make a profit An O/U double rifle is hard to sell..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Didn't Heym have some over-unders a few years back in the 4K range? Seams I remember them in chambered in 30-30?

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can find a used Merkle sice by side for under $7000 if you shop around, and Ive seen a few for $6000..They shoot good, optional calibers and imo much better DG rifle than any O/U..better resale option also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I've seen photos and commentary from Xausa on here with a Kreighoff Teck O/U in .500 Nitro and maybe .375 (not sure on that, but I know he had multiple barrel sets for it). Several buffalo and at least one elephant if memory serves.

He got it in Germany and did quite well with it.

Maybe the O/U isn't traditional, but I doubt a practiced rifleman is any slower with one. It's what you know when the time comes IMO.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't Heym have some over-unders a few years back in the 4K range? Seams I remember them in chambered in 30-30?

Mac

Mac, $4k....isn't that about what you paid in sales tax for your Marcel Thys 577? Glad to see that you cruise the bottom rungs of the market on occasion! :-)

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The main complaint that comes up with over/under DG rifles is they don't open up enough to quickly reload in that they come up short, and they are hard to regulate..and this doesn't apply to shotguns, just double rifles apparantly. A any rate thats been the word for many years..Ive bought and sold a couple and actually shot one day at the range, thats been some years ago, and it was,infact, hard to open enough to get that lower barrel unloaded to loaded..so maybe their is something to that, it existed on that particular gun, it was a German 9.3x74 rimmed?? I think of some make that I don't even recall, a pretty and well balance little jewel that Id liked to have hunted elk with in the thick stuff in Northern Idaho..

Other than that, my take on the subject is I would prefer a side by side to start with and would rather spend a grand or two for the difference, knowing it will hold the value enough to balance out and make a profit An O/U double rifle is hard to sell..

Ray, when I push the lever over on my Zoli 450/400 O&U, the barrels drops open far enough
that I can grab two rounds and drop them in just as fast as a SxS.
And a slight variation in regulation in elevation is much easier for a rifleman to deal with than a lateral variation . It can even be a benefit.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have two O/U's,375 H&H,458 Lott,I have not done much with the 375,the 458 has seen much more use,including big game in Africa,it's extremely accurate with different bullet weights,comes up better than my SxS's,I have three of those as well,two Heym's & a K gun,I like all my guns,the 458 Stopper will be the last one to go when the time comes to hang it all up,& may that be a long while away Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When the Zoli K gun in 450/400 was introduced at the SCI show in Las Vegas I ordered one at the same time as two Tanzanian PH's

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I agree on the Merkel sxs. Also agree on the O/U resale value.
I am an old goose hunter and sporting clays man.(many thousands of O/U rounds) I can reload an o/u faster that a cat can lick its bum.
And, I really have a soft spot for an o/u. How ever, the more I dwell on it and the more I learn about it, the more I think that if a o/u doesn't drop out of the sky on my head, I will be likely be going for a sxs .500 NE. after all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
farbedo, Yes, That Kreighoff Teck O/O is very nice. I like it!
That "slow loading" thing on DG is mostly a myth as far as I am concerned. For dangerous game it doesn't mean anything to me. I'm too dumb to know the difference! Hell, I hunt cape buffalo with single shot. You can't fix Stupid! chuckle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McKay, Yes Heym did have a O/U and now the have a new nifty little O/U that is not yet on their web site. It's an aluminium frame job with a steel breach insert like the Blaser S2 had. It's priced right too for a saddle tramp like me!
I think it comes in 45-70. Don't tell the troops but the 45-70 will out perform the beloved 450-400 at close range with modern loads/bullets. But that is another story. I may post the figures on the big bore forum sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73, Are both your 375 and 458 in the Brno Stopper? That is an interesting rifle! I never hear any comments on it. You must like. Please tell me more. Thanks Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, Thanks for posting, I must not have been paying full attention! I didn't realize that the Zoli O/U came in 450/400.
Also, The variation in elevation is something I could get along with. I'm going to check out the Zoli site again. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Bill73, Are both your 375 and 458 in the Brno Stopper? That is an interesting rifle! I never hear any comments on it. You must like. Please tell me more. Thanks Brian

Brian,
The 458 has Stopper engraved on it,the 375? I dont recall,when I have it out ? I will check,both rifles have double triggers,solid ribs & I have had the top ribs machined to accept a red dot sight on both.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

And my all time favorite ...

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

Oh yeah, and that bit about loading an Over and Under gun as fast as a real Double Rifle ...

coffee

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Todd have a toddy Big Grin

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

Oh yeah, and that bit about loading an Over and Under gun as fast as a real Double Rifle ...

coffee

Cool

you can add inaccurate blaser to your list Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And 1,000 yard double rifle matches :-)

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
And 1,000 yard double rifle matches :-)

Give me an O&U every day !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Mac

Mac, $4k....isn't that about what you paid in sales tax for your Marcel Thys 577? Glad to see that you cruise the bottom rungs of the market on occasion! :-)

Big Grin

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

coffee

Cool

Mike

I would like to see Todd go against a Blaser with his all powerful 500 NE,four shots @1000 yards lol beer

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
O/U Double Rifle

Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Definitely Maybe

Clearly Confused

Jumbo Shrimp!!!

coffee

Cool

Mike

I would like to see Todd go against a Blaser with his all powerful 500 NE,four shots @1000 yards lol beer

Why would anyone want to shoot dangerous game at 1,000 yards?

Why would anyone want to shoot a Blaser thingy?

Why would anyone stack two barrels on top of each other and call it a double rifle?

Why do some people think big foot is real?

All head scratchers for normal folk!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 O/U double rifles. A 375 H&H, that Paul Jaeger made the barrels, to fit a 20 ga. Ruger red label. This gun is amazingly accurate, keeping all shots within 2.5" (combined) at 100 yards, with 3 different factory loads. I later picked up a set of 20 gauge barrels and had choke tubes installed, for it.

The other 2 are Sabatti 500ne O/Us, with 12 gauge barrels, for each. Dad and I purchased these, and sent them to Aaron Little for final regulation and some add ons. Accuracy is what you would expect from Aaron, and I have had no issues with function.

We had an elephant safari booked, but unfortunately, Dad passed away before we could go.

I have a few SxS doubles and these O/Us. I enjoy shooting them all, and can only wish I could give a safari report, on both O/U 500s.

Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote