THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Poll: Who would buy shotgun barrels with a DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Who would buy shotgun barrels with a DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read a few posts about second caliber barrels for a DR, but what about buying a shotgun barrel set.

Question:
If cost is not considered as a deciding factor, would you order a set of SG barrels to supplement your DR.

Choices:
Yes
No
Cost is always a factor

Question:
If your desire is to have a SG barrel set for your first ever DR, would you wait till you tried the rifle and then order the SG set, after you decide the rifle is exactly right for you.

Choices:
Yes, would wait till rifle was tried
No, would buy the SG set when placing the orer

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis with 9,3x74R barrels and 20 ga barrels. It's actually a better shotgun than it is a rifle.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

good question(s).
If you go to DSC, SCI Reno, or the SHOT Show you will have the opportunity to try about every DR available. One or more will fit, and feel good. Just order the rifle then, with shotgun barrels if available. Most companies will want the DR back to retro-fit extra barrels if you buy one without. Since about all of them except Searcy are in England/Europe, it will involve a significant amount of time and money.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I want a set of 20 gauge barrels for my K-Gun, just could not justify spending $4000 for the little I would use them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other issue is that unless you order the SG barrels at the same time, the fitted case will not have any place to put the extra barrel set.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I had a chance at a fine heym 470 with a 28 gauge set. Really regret not buying it from JJ in Reno. Bought another heym without the SG a bit later.

Where I would find it very useful is in practice. You can shoot to your hearts content without breaking your shoulder or wallet.

Just another excuse to shoot the double!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I think it's a question of caliber, gauge, and weight too. The 9,3 size frame makes a great 20 ga shotgun.

I'd be concerned with a 28 ga on a .470 frame ending up as a 10-pound 28 ga shotgun........

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Havent even fired a shotgun in over 25 years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
I think it's a question of caliber, gauge, and weight too. The 9,3 size frame makes a great 20 ga shotgun.

I'd be concerned with a 28 ga on a .470 frame ending up as a 10-pound 28 ga shotgun........

Ah, my mistake. It was a 20 gauge set up, not 28. It is not a quail gun for sure, but makes for a lot of good practice time. On our last hunt, by buddy and I shot a few hundred rounds of reduced loads, scenario type shooting. It came in handy when his lung shot ele turned and ran right at John. HE stopped it at 7 paces with a very well placed second shot. Practice pays off.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In my experience double rifles rarely make good shotguns, so no I wouldn't want a set of shot barrels for any of my double rifles!

The nearest I'd come to that is a drilling with double rifle barrels on top, and a single shotgun barrel on the bottom, and I have a couple of cape gun (rifle on the right barrel, and shot on the left)

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Practice pays off.

and that is why you get shotgun barrels

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balance is extremely important whether you are shooting a double rifle or shotgun. Shotgun barrels are much lighter than rifle barrels and that means the balance will be completely different. The gun will either be muzzle light with the shotgun barrels or muzzle heavy with the rifle barrels. I don't see how it can be balanced with both. I voted no.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 465H&H mentioned it is very difficult to have shotgun barrels that will feel like a shotgun should. Also the stock dimensions should be a little different from a rifle to a shotgun.
I have only seen two that were ok. One is mine, a 450-400 with a second set of fully rifled slug barrels, the second gun was designed and stocked first as a shotgun with a second set of rifle barrels.
Always get the barrels fitted as the gun is made, much cheaper than sending it back latter.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found that shooting trap and Sporting, starting with the gun at hip and decocked was the only sensible way to learn to use my Krieghoff properly. It would have bankrupted me to put 3-4000 rounds of 500/416 through it. In it's current form (.375 FL) and 20g it has a 'close enough' for government work feel so that I can use both without noticing the difference.

NB...my Skiet scores with the 20g suck...but then they do with the citori in 12g

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
In my experience double rifles rarely make good shotguns, so no I wouldn't want a set of shot barrels for any of my double rifles!

+1

As Mac, Kebco and others have stated it's a compromise at best. Not worth it in my opinion, for what it would cost me to get shotgun barrels fitted to my DR I could buy two nice DBSS shotguns one in 20gauge and a 12gauge.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have xtra 20 ga bbls & use them every trip. there's always some guineas, francolins, or geese for the pot. Only problem i ever had is one evening when goose hunting there was this cow ele with her calf that took exemption to us being there. #4 shot isn't too good as an ele stopper

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If money was not a deciding factor..... why ask...get it all.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I ordered my 500NE from Butch (Searcy) in 2003 I also had 12 gauge shotgun barrels included as well Big Grin

And ya know what? They work just fine 'cause a correctly fitted DR is built to fit very much like a shotgun is.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a browning o/u 30-06 double rifle that came with a set of 20ga 3 inch barrels that I added a set of 28 guage tubes for it and I like the being able to just take one gun with me when I go hunting to cover anything legal to hunt in KS and all but the big bears in the continal USA. RNB

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I ordered my Krieghoff "Teck" O/U .458 Win Mag DR in 1970, I ordered interchangeable barrels in .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" magnum. I shot the hell out of the shotgun barrels on safari, with admirable results.

I also used to shoot skeet with the .458 barrels, using .410 shells. The empties looked like hell and were trash as far as reloading was concerned, but when you can hit a low house 8, starting in low gun position, you feel as though you are ready for anything in the hunting field.

Shooting clay birds with a scope mounted can be interesting, too.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The nearest I'd come to that is a drilling with double rifle barrels on top, and a single shotgun barrel on the bottom.

Mac, we agree once again! tu2 tu2

Throw in, if I may, a factory claw mounted Zeiss 6X scope. It doesn't get much better.

My pet of my pets is my Heym 37B Deluxe 9.3 x 74R / 9.3 x 74R / 20 ga. It just returned from it's 3rd tour (safari).

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
when i win the the drawing, i'll ask butch if i can pay more and get 12ga barrels too

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38428 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Heresy, I say. No splatter gun barrels on my rifles.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote