THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Newbie Has Questions...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Newbie Has Questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id go with a Searcy, even a decent used one..for a hunting rifle that could be lost or damaged on Safari..Tell Butch what you want..I like used English doubles myself but be damn careful there, just because its English does not mean it a good gun..Get help if you intend to buy a good English double..Cast off aligns the eye to the sights, but also direct the angle of recoil that's helpful.

There is cast off and cast on in that cast off moves the eye to the rib or rear sight. but you have left side case off and right side cast off. Cast on moves the stock into your face. Few use cast on, as you must have a very angular fact to need or even use it..but come to think of it I read post with a different opinion and had such discussions but I politly ignored them..It creates confusion..What some refer to as cast on tends to change the shape of ones cheek and eye sockets! rotflmo

Sambarman,
There is left handed cast off as well as right handed cast off?????????? but your description of use is proper..a lefty bends in the opposite direction of a right hander..I like cast off in doubles, but not a lot,seen some just over done. One can eyeball the amount of cast off pretty easy.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by SCLawyer:
Do you mind letting us know exactly what you paid and what the recoil is like? I'm in the market for a RH version of this variety.

Thank you,

I paid $16K delivered. Can't say anything about the recoil as CA DOJ still has not released the rifle (14 days now on a supposedly 10 day waiting period). Now, Verney Carron is of the same quality according to some. Here is a link to a .470 NEW (DSC show) rifle at $12,871 and they might negotiate some as well.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101398813

Good luck.

Well done on your purchase and the .470 is a great caliber.

I would put Heym in first place above the Verney.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If you can't visit a friend who has a few DRs and shoot some, I recommend a training rifle first; you have plenty of $ for that.
Yes, first get a Chapuis in 9.3. Call Ken Buch; Shoot it a lot. Then go to a 450-400; that is actually the best DR caliber for most people. Sure a 470 or 500 sounds sexy but you should shoot one first. Of course, you can jump directly to a 500 if you want; they kick about like two 12 gauges at once. I don't know how recoil tolerant you are.
I actually prefer the 450 NE, due to bullet selection. But other DR owners do not care about that and only use factory ammo.
Come on over and we can shoot several, up to 500 NE.
Don't worry about the actions; they all work the same except the Krieghoff, I have two of them; it is easy to train on and learn the safety/cocker. You cock it once. You can get one for $15k.
Training on whichever rifle you have is very important, and under field conditions; do not fall into the trap of doing only range shooting and going directly into Africa. Also, learn to hold them correctly; sitting at a bench will not give you a true picture; the foreend must be grasped and allowed to move; its hard to explain but you will quickly see; that is how they are regulated. Also, if you get an ejector rifle; (I hate them, but do own them), you will be tempted to catch the brass when it pops out. I see it all time, on the range. I guarantee that if you do that on the range you will do it in the field, obviating the perceived advantage of an ejector rifle.
Not like a bolt action. You will fail due to not Training as you Fight, to quote our Army doctrine.

……………………………………………………….. tu2 All very good advise!
One other thing I would advice is, Not to use any fixture to hold you double rifle. They are designed to be held in the shooters hands. It is OK to rest your forehand on a padded rest, but not the rifle,it be held in your forehand and allowed to recoil as if you were standing, as this is how a double rifle is designed to be used. Anything that retards the rifles movement when fired will effect regulation.
……………………………………………… Welcome to the world of double rifles! I can assure you will be hooked, once you learn to shoot a double rifle properly!
………………………………………. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote