New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle REAL PRICES!!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Well, someone on Little John's Auctions on Dec 1 got a HELLEVA DEAL on a nice William Evans double rifle in 375 Flanged Mag!!

I am PO'd as I was registered to phone bid and I was following the auction online as each item sold.... my registration came and went.... the Evans SOLD at $9000, plus 20% Proxibid fee, shipping and insurance... WOW!!...they called me 5 items later on a completely unrelated item...NO INTEREST!!

To add salt to the wound, I had diligently called and got the stock dimensions because the pigskin leather pad looked funky...it was at 11/2" but the wood was still 14" LOP... what wasn't written that I knew....IT WAS AN EJECTOR RIFLE TOO!!

BUMMED!!

So, I am thinking that these folks are well enough known and two friends had notified me of this item in the auction....and it only went to $9K... 375 Flanged Mag, EJECTOR...I wanted to phone bid because the "juice" was only 15 %...

Is this the "real world pricing" these days on nice Brit doubles...$12K all in on a 375 Flanged?? I am beginning to think so...

I wonder what the Advertised Pricing by various Brokers are these days...and they last for months/years...no movement... "Oil Barons and Billionaires" pricing??...snagafew once in a while?? Blind Hog...

I am amused at the thread on the African Hunting forum about the Demographics of Hunters today...and I think it might be interesting to run the same here in Double Rifles to see if it is ONLY the old guys buying doubles...and they are a waning breed... maybe a few Boomers... but Millennials just don't dig wood and grandpa's old guns??

I am still licking my wounds...but justifying it by saying I wanted a Westley Drop Lock instead!! jumping

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are seeing the real market for double rifles; all the guys who use/used them are getting old, and all the young hunters, either have no money, or have no idea what a DR is. Or both. Prices will continue to drop. The Golden Age of double rifles started in 1890 and ended in 2016. There will be no new crop of DR users.
Every time I take some of mine to the range, I get the comment;
"Nice Shotgun". At which point I slap them silly. Or want to.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw this coming in 2017 and got out of the double rifle market by trading for an H&H sidelock shotgun. The market in high end shotguns seem to be going up. I am still tempted from time to time to trade the H&H for a double rifle. I'm trying to hold off and see where double rifle prices end up in relationship to shotgun prices. Double rifles are a sickness from which you are bitten you never recover.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Well, someone on Little John's Auctions on Dec 1 got a HELLEVA DEAL on a nice William Evans double rifle in 375 Flanged Mag!!

That would be me. I was surprised, and pleased, that the rifle didn't sell for more. It looks like a beautiful rifle and is in amazing shape for a gun built in 1931. Now I need to get dies for it. I guess a call to CH4D is in order. I'm looking forward to getting it in hand.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine rifle scojac, it's one, along with the 450-400 on my list as I age and still want to hunt with a double, a sad day will indeed arrive when my 500 and 577 Nitros are simply to much recoil to shoot them well.

470EDDY, we'll definitely have a better handle on DR's as well as African hunting in general after 20-Jan-21.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I'll buy my 577 back for $5K :-)

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the approuch to these still fairly expensive rifles is to buy without having investment in mind. Buy because you want one because you like it as a gun and the history behind. If it turns out to be completly worthless when senior years no longer calls for all this atleast you had fun with it. That it self is priceless.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am PO'd as I was registered to phone bid and I was following the auction online as each item sold.... my registration came and went.... the Evans SOLD at $9000, plus 20% Proxibid fee, shipping and insurance... WOW!!...they called me 5 items later on a completely unrelated item...NO INTEREST!!

To add salt to the wound, I had diligently called and got the stock dimensions because the pigskin leather pad looked funky...it was at 11/2" but the wood was still 14" LOP... what wasn't written that I knew....IT WAS AN EJECTOR RIFLE TOO!!

BUMMED!!

So, I am thinking that these folks are well enough known and two friends had notified me of this item in the auction....and it only went to $9K... 375 Flanged Mag, EJECTOR...I wanted to phone bid because the "juice" was only 15 %...

Is this the "real world pricing" these days on nice Brit doubles...$12K all in on a 375 Flanged?? I am beginning to think so...

I wonder what the Advertised Pricing by various Brokers are these days...and they last for months/years...no movement... "Oil Barons and Billionaires" pricing??...snagafew once in a while?? Blind Hog...

I am amused at the thread on the African Hunting forum about the Demographics of Hunters today...and I think it might be interesting to run the same here in Double Rifles to see if it is ONLY the old guys buying doubles...and they are a waning breed... maybe a few Boomers... but Millennials just don't dig wood and grandpa's old guns??

I am still licking my wounds...but justifying it by saying I wanted a Westley Drop Lock instead!! jumping

I am in my 30s, and would love to own a double rifle. There are plenty of other young guys who like old guns or high end guns, but if the choice is hunt with a cheap gun or buy a nice gun and stay home... then there is no choice.

Prices may go down as African hunting also trends down, but I'm not as bleak as others about the future of the market.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can’t get all the deals my man.

There are still a lot of guns that have not been bitten by the bubble.

They have been for sale, at the same price, for years. Their time is coming.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin,
You are right!! You pointed me to my now coveted Jeffrey 450-400 3 ".... thank you again!! That was a real steal!!

Buffalo in the Selous is coming up with it!!

You know that was my second Jeff... I wanted the Wm Evans to be my Second Evans &375FlMag!!.... and reduce my investment!! Cool Big Grin

I sold my last one at the peak in the hot market... I am not crying!!... I wudda still had money left over after purchase of this one too!@!

Truth be known, had I been bidding, I wouldn't have gone much higher!!... but it was an EJECTOR!!

Maybe I should sell my dies and ammo... then I would surely find another??!!
CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Jerry, I'll buy my 577 back for $5K :-)

Dang, buying that high........how do you keep the lights on Brother? ; ]

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Let me remind the forum of the 4 decades following WW2 that the double rifle market barely existed! The old Kynoch ammo was scrounged and horded by double rifle shooters while many rifles sat dormant for decades! This is why you see so many minty doubles from between the wars, they were packed in mothballs since about 1950! I think there is a lot of interest in doubles and the soft market is due to the economic downturn, as of late. I believe the market will correct some in the next few years, especially on smaller bore doubles. Still, it is surprising to see a British double from a good name sell for the price of a new Merkel!

RC

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
quote:

That would be me. I was surprised, and pleased, that the rifle didn't sell for more. It looks like a beautiful rifle and is in amazing shape for a gun built in 1931. Now I need to get dies for it. I guess a call to CH4D is in order. I'm looking forward to getting it in hand.

RCHS makes the dies but the shell holder is a special order. My Chapuis loves Reloader 15, Norma cases, Federal 215 primers, and any 300 grain bullet made by Woodleigh. Good luck; it is a great round.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
If there wasn't an assault on Safari Hunting today and importation of Elephant was guaranteed you'd see these prices hold a bit better.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7572 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It makes little difference what you pay for a double rifle today because when Biden and his vice get their gun crusher making scrap iron out of them! Their target is the abolishment of the second amendment to the constitution of the USA. That means all firearms will be illegal and confiscated. Then the only people who will have guns will be criminals.
Even if they pay people for their firearms being confiscated, does anyone here expect to be paid what you payed for a new double rifle, or even a Saturday night special junk pistol?

Gentlemen I will cut mine up with a cutting torch before I will let the gov take them.

........................ Mad :thumbs down: 2020 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s what I did twice. None were super expensive but not junk either
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
I think the approuch to these still fairly expensive rifles is to buy without having investment in mind. Buy because you want one because you like it as a gun and the history behind. If it turns out to be completly worthless when senior years no longer calls for all this atleast you had fun with it. That it self is priceless.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda like some of my personal picks in the Stock Market!!

I have had better luck in Double Rifles!!....win some, miss some... they're all GREAT!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
It makes little difference what you pay for a double rifle today because when Biden and his vice get their gun crusher making scrap iron out of them! Their target is the abolishment of the second amendment to the constitution of the USA. That means all firearms will be illegal and confiscated. Then the only people who will have guns will be criminals.
Even if they pay people for their firearms being confiscated, does anyone here expect to be paid what you payed for a new double rifle, or even a Saturday night special junk pistol?

Gentlemen I will cut mine up with a cutting torch before I will let the gov take them.

From experience in a country without any guarantee of gun ownership, Mac, where there was a real attack on shooters' rights after the Port Arthur massacre, I'd say you might be getting a little over-excited.

We can still have repeaters and double guns and rifles here and 'automatic' pistols, too. It does worry me, though, that American friends of mine who would once not allow a gun of any kind in their house now feel the need to have their own ARs.

While I don't know what surrender compensation you see for guns over there, I know some guys here did ok from tarting up old self-loaders, getting the near-new price.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
quote:

RCHS makes the dies but the shell holder is a special order. My Chapuis loves Reloader 15, Norma cases, Federal 215 primers, and any 300 grain bullet made by Woodleigh. Good luck; it is a great round.

If you mean RCBS, I just checked their website and .375 Flanged Magnum is NOT listed as a cartridge they make dies for.

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Someone wanted to know how to reload 375 Flanged?
Use standard 375 H&H dies; I do it and it works. Don't run them in too far.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Huntington Die Specialties, Oroville, Ca. That is still run by son of founder of RCBS.

They may have them in stock?? I recall they were special order when I bought mine with shell holder. About $175??

Thanks to Mike Robinsons demographics survey... darn him...I hafta keep telling myself I am OLD, and downsizing!!.... my wife scowled when I commented I was bidding on another double rifle!!....

Like Larry Potterfield says in his Midway ads... how many does a guy need.... it's like women's shoes!!

I still think I need a 375FlMag...?? Or should I sell my dies... that is the question!!

I am just down the road from Wm. Larkin Moore boys...I think I better go visit them before I commit??

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You don't need special dies; just a special shell holder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
quote:

If you mean RCBS, I just checked their website and .375 Flanged Magnum is NOT listed as a cartridge they make dies for.
m

Well, I have a RCBS die. I don’t remember where I bought it but since I buy either from Midway or Huntington it must be from them. You could try to order directly from RCBS.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes (or did previously) 375 FL Magnum dies.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BUMMED!!

That is a great deal provided the rifle is in good condition. Champlins had a William Evans .375 Flanged Magnum (1926) for sale for $19.5K a year or so ago. It was a nice rifle but too long for me and I didn't want to cut a classic stock.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely prices continue trending down on doubles. At the right price I think I'll eventually pick one up.

That said, just like with stocks, the trend can change directions & the vast majority of the time it's for a reason that 99% didn't see coming. So never say never, but definitely demand does not currently meet supply & that seems likely for the next decade.

I have changed my attitude in the last few years, in terms of worrying what I will get back from something...

Let's say I drop 12 grand on a double. I manage to take it on 10 trips and enjoy it. After 20yrs, I sell it and lose half my 'investment.'
Well, that's $600 per trip for extra fun. No worries.

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
From my observations, double rifle (vintage UK) prices peaked in 2014 and have seen a gradual decline. For the past two years it seems the bottom has been hit and has been level. That said, the rare and top end doubles seemed to hold their prices. I see a slow rise beginning but I don't know if, or how long, it will take to get back to the 2014 high. If you want a vintage double now is the best time to buy.

Any newly made double, from teh UK or Europe or the US for that matter, will at best, hold value and probably decline a bit as will anything used when the buyers can make a choice between a slightly used double or a new one for a few dollars more.

Vintage doubles are like money in the bank as they are not made any longer and they have the added bonus of history and the quality of more hand craftsmanship, finer engraving, more refined lines, etc. Then, add the fun and wow factors of taking them on hunting trips to the Dark Continent and they beccome priceless.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thoughts from both BAKER 458 and of course Double Guru Cal!!

IDAKNOW.....?? I am still not convinced as there are 2 factors: we have been in a screaming economy for 4 years....that may or may NOT continue, depending upon WHOM is seated in the Whitehouse in January??... Second, as Michael Robinson's Survey on Age of African hunters....it is very clear that the Silent and Boomers are coming to the end of the World...and the Millennial's and later Generations are coming to the forefront in many ways....choices in Guns...and Voting!! These kids don't want Grampa's and Dad's style wood guns...they have to be Black and Autos>>>!! Maybe 20% are hold backs??

With Africa hunting under attack un US and now Europe and UK, and trophy imports of Dangerous Game are held up... so is sales of Dangerous Game guns to some degree...that includes the Big Caliber Bolt Guns....

Price is driven by old Economic Principles of Supply and Demand.... and right now there are MORE Supply/Estate aged collections coming to market than Buyers, in my humble opinion... and what is happening is the Great Collections with High End Brokers are Stalled at very high prices and are Stump Sitters.... very few selling!!

The European new doubles are coming in at very competitive prices now, much lower than any fine British Trade guns or Bespoke guns!! They are selling!!

The old adage of what I call "THE MERCEDES PRINCIPLE"... older car prices are dragged up and up by the price of New Mercedes...this has worked for years in protecting buyers from significant depreciation. But the Bespoke makers prices have soared much faster, relatively, than New Mercedes and Ford/Chevy Macho truck prices too!!

The other factor I now see, in Cars, Airplanes and especially Home Prices soaring.... wages and salaries have NOT KEPT UP WITH INCREASES, BIG TIME!!.... so many younger, out of college kids can't afford to buy any of these things except those who are lucky enough to grab one of the select Techy gold mine jobs!!...but I will bet not 10% of those are Double Rifle buyers??

One of my yacht clients just commented to me last week, "as a graduate PHD chemist, I could see that I was NOT GOING TO BE ABLE to AFFORD to BUY A HOUSE.... so I went back to Law School so I could join the ranks of home owners!!"

So, I guess the jury is still out and we will just have to wait and see where Doubles go?? Those that bought during the soaring prices period still want to claim their purchase prices back....EH??!!

It is my bet we start seeing families and estates focus to liquidate... prices of old fine Double prices will see new territory in the near future as more come to market...and just hang??

A real Guessing Game, EH??!!

470EDDY

posted Hide Post
scojac, if you're within driving distance of St. Louis, you can borrow my RCBS .375 Flanged Magnum dies until you find some.

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes .375 H&H FL Mag dies. I just got a set for my double. However, as DPCD notes, standard belted dies work fine too, just back them off.

As for prices, I have no idea. The advent of machine made doubles has changed the landscape a bit. Why pay $XX,XXX for an old rifle when I can get a new one for $X,XXX? Keep in mind, folks that buy these may or may not understand balance and fit.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
all the young hunters, either have no money, or have no idea what a DR is. Or both

Wrong.... we are out here, and we are content to let our friends shoot Tikka T3s in 6.5 Creedmor while we gradually hoard classic rifles at bargain prices.

I don’t like to think of myself as a “millennial” despite the fact that I am one. But we have helped save good beer and good Whiskey. Maybe we can do the same for double rifles

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BANG ON!!

You are the future for these old treasures...and I do believe you will find some real treasures if you hang in there and be patient!!

CbeerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I haven't owned one in a long time Blaser S-2, and it wasn't a classic rifle (some call it an abomination).

Seems like current production Heym's don't really move in value, and to those in the know select few Ferlach, Liege, Italian and non-stratusphere Brit doubles have value. Other obscure doubles built in the same towns are dirt cheap.

Production maker Krieghoff, Merkel, Blaser, Chapuis and so on seem to drop 20-30% when you buy them new.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

From experience in a country without any guarantee of gun ownership, Mac, where there was a real attack on shooters' rights after the Port Arthur massacre, I'd say you might be getting a little over-excited.

We can still have repeaters and double guns and rifles here and 'automatic' pistols, too. It does worry me, though, that American friends of mine who would once not allow a gun of any kind in their house now feel the need to have their own ARs.

[While I don't know what surrender compensation you see for guns over there, I know some guys here did ok from tarting up old self-loaders, getting the near-new price.]

Compensation??? I don't want compensation, I want to keep my firearms, but the new group wants to get rid of the second amendment to our constitution, ( THE RIGHT OF PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS SHALE NOT BE ENFRENGED ) Armed we are citizens, disarmed we will become slaves to the government and at the mercy of criminals who do not abide by the law.
............................... oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen Mac, amen!

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, stick to being a double rifle expert. I imagine it will be like the Obama years. Record high gun and ammo sales and never once did Obama come for our guns.

Oh, I would like to own a DR some day.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

My 2 cents .....

In Europe double prices are holding up new and used with Heyms, Krieghoffs, Merkels et cetera all getting good prices and selling. Both big bore and mediums. As an example eGun recently saw a Merkel 500 sell well over the asking of EUR 12.000,-. The 7 mm 8 mm and 9 mm calibers are also selling well and often seen on driven hunts.

Where I see a dark cloud on the horizon is classic shotguns. When lead is banned (and it will be sooner rather than later, just look at Denmark) then there will be thousands and thousands of old and classic shotguns that will be obsolete as hunting / shooting weapons in Europe. Watch what happens to the prices of classic shotguns then !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Where I see a dark cloud on the horizon is classic shotguns. When lead is banned then there will be thousands and thousands of old and classic shotguns that will be obsolete as hunting / shooting weapons in Europe. Watch what happens to the prices of classic shotguns then !

They should still be usable. Bismuth shot should be safe to shoot in these shotguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

My 2 cents .....

In Europe double prices are holding up new and used with Heyms, Krieghoffs, Merkels et cetera all getting good prices and selling. Both big bore and mediums. As an example eGun recently saw a Merkel 500 sell well over the asking of EUR 12.000,-. The 7 mm 8 mm and 9 mm calibers are also selling well and often seen on driven hunts.

Where I see a dark cloud on the horizon is classic shotguns. When lead is banned (and it will be sooner rather than later, just look at Denmark) then there will be thousands and thousands of old and classic shotguns that will be obsolete as hunting / shooting weapons in Europe. Watch what happens to the prices of classic shotguns then !

I use an old Rigby 12bore. That thing eats it all. We can buy cartridges that are made for vintage shotguns.
I bought my Rigby from Wayne Hurt for £3800 back then and the gun is stout and solid. Made in 1903 it will from today work my lifetime out.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote