THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Colin's Nitro Double Deal of the Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colin's Nitro Double Deal of the Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still a way's out from aquiring an English double rifle, but in between a restaurant and a huge house project I search the internet for deals. My budget is $10,000-ish. If you buy one of these I want to shoot it once.

1. http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100879064

Look how tight the doll's head extension is. Very few double rifles I see for sale have so little space between the doll's head and the action.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2. http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100879678

I love this rifle, especially because it is very close to "best" but from the the red headed step child to snooty London built guns. Snooty people suck.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Colin:
Both are nice rifles and fairly priced. Now is the time to buy as prices are down.
Tell me, if you wish to shoot doubles, can you join us on May 5 for the Alaska double shoot? Expect 50+ double rifles, up to .600 and 4-bore and down to .280 flanged, howdah pistols, bpe, etc. Shoot one or all, no charge for ammo. We will feed you and you can stay at my place to avoid hotle charges. The shoot gets better and bigger each year. Consider yourself (and anyone who reads this) invited.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it Cal. The first Saturday in May is the Kentucky Derby, which makes leaving the state tough when your married.

Unfortunately a double rifle purchase has a fund, and I have not yet arrived to the point of entry.

The other problem is I firmly believe that the double market will continue to fall.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I've seriously considered the Wilkes and have talked to Kirby about it.
The scope bases could be removed and the holes filled quite easily too.

Funny that the majority of folks here observing the decline of double values attribute it to the lack of hunting opportunities in Africa. Well, this particular double would do splendidly for any NA game or anything in Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand yet it is also being dragged down with the big bores. Why?
English bolt guns are at an all time high as far as I can tell but the small to medium doubles are dropping. Makes no sense to me.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I appreciate it Cal. The first Saturday in May is the Kentucky Derby, which makes leaving the state tough when your married.

Unfortunately a double rifle purchase has a fund, and I have not yet arrived to the point of entry.

The other problem is I firmly believe that the double market will continue to fall.

Understood.
Or, take the Mrs. on a vacation to Alaska and stop by and we'll just have a shoot ourselves. Your call at your convenience.
Cheers.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, I have been dealing with Kirby for years and he is very reputable. Unfortunately, I believe the Scott 450-400 3 1/4 is sold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collin, this weekend is taken. But, I would be happy to have you and your wife down and you can shoot my double. Just, give me five days notice.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice double; but I think the price on the re-chambered 360 is still too aggressive. The second one looks to be a good deal. They could drop further, as the young guys have no idea what they are and have no money anyway. And the old guys all have doubles that want one. Of course there are exceptions, but not many. Look at all the hunting rifles being sold nowadays; you can't even find a wood stock any more. Top sellers are plastic stocked rifles selling for $350. It takes a lot of disposable income to play in the DR game.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Collin, this weekend is taken. But, I would be happy to have you and your wife down and you can shoot my double. Just, give me five days notice.

I appreciate the offer, I am very busy with the fall looking and finishing my house project. I will take you up on that one day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us know when the restaurant opens. I will contribute to the refunding the war chest.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The restaurant has been open for 7 years. Bluegrass Pizza and Pub. It is just kicking my ass, coupled with my house renovation is basically building a house.

We need to get you up here and at my buddies farm, he will let you shoot his 1878 army and navy .577-450 bpe and and .450 3 1/4".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry. I had it backwards. I'll get up there.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The Wiles looks great. Did Scot really make cross bolt action?

Unbelievable price for a British DR in true DG caliber in good condition.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really the deal of the day....
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680213458

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not really the deal of the day....
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680213458

I absolutely love hammer doubles but hammer doubles in nitro calibers have a track record of not selling well. Even a few years ago when the market was better than today, they sold poorly. I personally saw a few hammer doubles in excellent calibers (.600, .577, .500, .450 no2, .450) sell for less money than bpe doubles and it took years to move them.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://stevebarnettfineguns.c...sidelock-375-express

If this dude could be rechambered for the full flanged cartridge it would be awesome. It is awesome in its own right.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://stevebarnettfineguns.c...sidelock-375-express

If this dude could be rechambered for the full flanged cartridge it would be awesome. It is awesome in its own right.

That is one sweet rifle tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
A bit rust pitted but a solid rifle.
The H&H Dominion actions are said to be among the strongest top levers of all time.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Were some of the Dominions not Webley actions to start with?

quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
A bit rust pitted but a solid rifle.
The H&H Dominion actions are said to be among the strongest top levers of all time.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I am a weird fella, but I love the Dominion Grade HH much better than the Royals.

Somebody please buy that rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
----

That may be.
However, quite A few have had soft barrels that let go.
And not with monolithic projectiles, but with Woodleighs.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a good deal !!

Print Email

RIGBY RISING BITE 470 NITRO EXPRESS - THE BORES as NEW with ORIGINAL BARRELS - A SUPERB 1911 SIDELOCK CLASSIC with 26" EJECTOR CHOPPER LUMP BARRELS - A Complete & Total Refinish Including Fresh Case Colors - Deluxe Marvin Huey Trunk Case - Super Wood - 11 Lbs. 2 Oz. - 14 3/4" LOP

Style: Caliber: Price:
Double Rifle 470 N. E. $74,000.00

#17625, John Rigby & Co. 43 Sackville Road, London: A Rising Bite 470 Nitro Express Bar Action Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle with Original Barrels That Have Bores Like New, Made in 1911, 26" Ejector Chopper Lump Barrels, Full length rib with 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, Fold-up night sight, Nitro proved at 75 cordite with a 500 grain bullet, Bushed strikers, Double triggers, Spring actuated locking safety, Horn grip cap, 14 3/4" LOP over a 1" leather pad, 11 lbs. 2 oz., 97% coverage of classic Rigby scroll; "Jno. Rigby & Co." in Gold on both sidelocks, The top rib, Serial number & Safe, Excellent European walnut with dark and deep contrast with great color, This piece was completely refinished from muzzle to butt, Fresh case colors, Reblacked barrels with the striking like the day it left Rigby, The stock and forend reoiled, It remains in 99% condition since the work was done. - Now the unbelievable news is the bores are virtually as new and these are the original barrels that have been there since day one. Then Marvin Huey built a full Deluxe Elephant hide brass cornered trunk case and added a lot of nice accessories. Here is a solid London Classic Rising Bite Rigby in the 470 cartridge with bores like new and a piece of wood that meets the eye very well.

The breech face marked with the R & B (John Rigby & Thomas Bissell) Patent #1141 which was patented March 21, 1879, the beginning of the Hammerless gun era, for the barrel locking method which we call the rising-bite. It is also marked #1026 in this vignette which applies to this gun as being the 1,026th gun built under the R & B patent.

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing around with the idea of converting a nice solid 16ga double to .348 Win. My thought is that as that cartridge is not a really high pressure round it should be okay. I don't do any hunting, just shooting; but I've always liked the idea of having a "fun" double. Heck I even have a soft spot for old .455 Webleys.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be somewhat suspect of the .450 3 1/4 hammer on GB. Seller is "kongdong6969" and refers to is as a beautiful "handmade" gun with 3 1/2 inch case length. Pics appear to be taken in the parking lot of the Roswell Greyhound bus terminal bathroom and no phone number or other contact information that I have seen.

I would also want to know why it does not require an FFL and really want to see a better pic of the bores and barrel flats as
well as ALL relevant information. Colors aren't English and, well, I've seen better. Will check the year of manufacture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited Wilkes, in Beak Street, some handful of years before they closed. A dirtier, messier, grubbier place you would be had pressed to imagine.

But they were a working gunmakers and that's what many of these places were like. Old Mr Wilkes was still, of course alive, and his brother.

Nice people and they made some good guns and did sights for target rifles. The place closed after the last one died and is now a wine bar.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some more that STILL exist as gunmakers IN THEIR ORIGINAL PREMISES.

Elderkin in Spalding, Licolnshire:

Purdey's:

OK...all you gun buffs...who was this? watch closely there are two very good clues:

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible. My guess is westley Richards.

Thank you very much for posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Collin, I have been telling you about that 450/400 3 1/4 for some time.

He has had that rifle I know for 3 years. The price has been coming down steadily for that particular rifle. When I first saw it listed in was 12k, then just under 10k, now just under 9k.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100910608

Would I be right in thinking the cartridges shown nestled up to the Kynoch box in the photos are reloads with A Square dead tough or lion load bullets, wonder what the target was shot with?

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely not Westley Richards. Absolutely not.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The clip at 1:52 onwards shows that it is not a Wesley. Not a Holland (the trigger guard part is too long).

A little google cheating says that Arthur Gwyn, Ebenezer Hands, Reg Taylor & Charlie Ganderton are in the clip and therefore the maker is most likely John Wilkes!

Interesting to read some other info about how these guys did work on contract after WW2 for Holland, Purdy, Wesley Richards, Jeffery etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has it correct so far. I have PM'd them with the answer. Look CLOSELY gentlmen. If you know "Brit" shot guns the clue is staring at you as large as life!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to guess Coggswell and Harrison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. Not Cogswell & Harrison. I have PM'd you the answer.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The Wilkes looks a nice rifle but the sights seem out of time. An old-school Zeiss or Nickel would look more the part.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had thought for a minute I would have answered differently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watson Bros. perhaps??

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Watson Bros. PM sent with answer. Here's modern Watson Bros though. And all those old guys in the 1950s video? They could walk into this workshop and apart from the Wi-Fi and the mobile telephones pick-up and start work I reckon.