Find
Notify
Tools

Remington/Baikal work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I have one of the Remington/Baikal doubles in 45.70 that the barrel adjuster is broken on and I was looking for someone who could regulate it and get rid of all the adjustment hardware.

Each barrel will stack bullets individually really well at 50 yards (1" groups) but the right barrel shoots about 8" higher and 6" to the right of the left barrel.

I want to use it for deer hunting in Ohio and would like to get it regulated to use the 300 grain factory load (1750 fps).

I know that years ago I talked with someone on these boards who would do it but the project kind of slipped to the back burner until now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I've read here that Aaron Little has done that.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Aaron is a very competent gun maker and should be able to handle such a project.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that would cost near what the gun is worth, no?

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I would think that would cost near what the gun is worth, no?

Probably Biebs, but the gun's pretty useless as-is.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those. Regulating has always been an exercise in futility for me. You can get somewhat close at 50 yds. Change your load and one must start over again. I did not have enough factory ammo to even attempt to regulate with it.

Some people have had good luck with the Baikal and have actually used it for hunting. I consider it a plaything that will provide hours or days of frustrating experimentation with little satisfaction.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You don't change loads with double rifles; one and that's it. I have owned two 30-06s and 3 45-70s. No issues noted, and the 30-06 I now have will stack bullets on top of one another at 50 yards.
It is not a hard task to make the muzzles fixed and solder them in place, then using the mid adjustor, fire and adjust. They do need trigger works I put new wood on them. Otherwise, well worth the money, which used to be a few $C. Now, I do not pay the gunsmith the usual $100 per hour.
Killed a pig with this one even though it is just a varmint caliber. 30-06. Did not penetrate broadside.
I will buy Baikals that others give up on. I mean on which others give up.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendations, unfortunately my books are closed for the foreseeable future.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, great looking restock!

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 30-06. This is how it shoots with 180gr core-lokts which is fine with me.

The right barrel does shoot a bit high at 100 yards.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just looked at some old targets and my barrels are crossing by 4-6" at 50 yards, along with the left barrel shooting high.

Well, if anyone can fix this, I'm more than willing to send it to you and let it sit there until you can get to it. I'm never in a hurry.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm never in a hurry.

Funny but I'm like that too.

The older I get and the less time I have on this earth, the less of a hurry I'm in!

Zeke