Find
Notify
Tools

Boresighting a Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Does it make sense that using a boresight on the right or left barrel of a double would at least put a scope on paper at 25 yards?

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It should Scott. As you know, it's not the same as bore sighting a magazine rifle, but it should get you on paper. I went through the same thing with my 9.3. Your left barrel should bore sight a bit to the right and low and the right barrel should bore sight a bit to the left and low.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,

That is what I figured.. I am swapping the scope that came on my Merkel with a Trijicon 1-4 post. On 1 power I can shoot with both eyes open just like open sights and my eyes dont really like open sights anymore :-(

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on the size of your paper.
I don't worry about any of that; just start at ten yards and a big target. You will catch bullets then. You can look through the barrel, or use a boresight, to get the scope close, but at ten yards it is more forgiving. Then work from there.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Yes & in fact I have tried it,it will put you pretty close on paper.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
It is pathetic that the primary concern is "how many rounds it will take to sight in the rifle" but since finding reloading components (or loaded ammo)is practically impossible, conservation of ammo is imperative!!

I shoot the Barnes 350gr TSX and 350gr Solids and have enough to get me thru this upcoming hunt along with a little practice and sight in but it is tight.. :-(

At least I have plenty of powder, primers and brass!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most quality doubles come regulated and sighted in with a specific load, and most will zero close with Woodleigh bullets, problems result when using lighter or heavier bullets...If you have a scope on the double it will sight it woiuld probably bore sight on each side of the 3" bull and get you close..That said a scope on a double is criminal IMO... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Most quality doubles come regulated and sighted in with a specific load, and most will zero close with Woodleigh bullets, problems result when using lighter or heavier bullets...If you have a scope on the double it will sight it woiuld probably bore sight on each side of the 3" bull and get you close..That said a scope on a double is criminal IMO... rotflmo

Lousy eyesight should be criminal LOL!!! I REALLY hate using a scope but my confidence without one is far from what it was when I was younger...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
It should Scott. As you know, it's not the same as bore sighting a magazine rifle, but it should get you on paper. I went through the same thing with my 9.3. Your left barrel should bore sight a bit to the right and low and the right barrel should bore sight a bit to the left and low.

...............Absolutely! This is as close as you will get finding if the rifle will shoot to it's muzzle flip, which is the way regulation works. muzzle flip, when fired, is accomplished by Left barrel recoiling up, and to the right, and the right barrel up and to the left.
If you put the barrels in a vice and look down the bores of each barrel at the target at around 100 yds you will see the line of sight crosses and shows low compared to looking down the iron sights.

..................................... old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I discussed someone with good eyesight, Im sure bad eyesight changes the picture and IMO if one has such eyesight that effects shooting he or she would be way better off with a bolt gun and a 3X fixed Leupold and perhaps a receiver sight to back that up, maybe....

The trouble with doubles is your shooting two seperate guns, not one, and you have to make them shoot together, if close you can probably sight them in, if not you re-regulate them in all the cases I know off, if your lucky you might in rare cases bring the bullets together with some specific load, if you8 know the regulation load to start with, if not Woodleighs seem to be the one make of bullet that works in most cases because they are designed to clone early double rifle bullets, but with better material and modern plumbing tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of dpcd

posted Jun 9, 9:27 AM Hide Post
Depends on the size of your paper.
I don't worry about any of that; just start at ten yards and a big target. You will catch bullets then. You can look through the barrel, or use a boresight, to get the scope close, but at ten yards it is more forgiving. Then work from there.

This is predicated by what access you have to a shooting range but after going around and around this issue for a half of a century with just about every kind of laser/ bore sighter/ contraption on the market I fully agree with dpcd If you have the luxury of moving close at your shooting range then measure center of your bore to center of your sighting device / scope/ red dot/ iron what ever. Make a target , on a BIG piece of paper, that has an aiming point and another point that is exactly the distance between the center of your bore and aiming device lower. Then get to a measured 10 yards from the front of your aiming system. Shoot at the aiming point. One careful shot is all you need!

Now carefully measure where the impact was. Calculate your adjustment ( remember 1 inch low and inch right = 10 inches low and 10 right at 100 yards) make your adjustments x 10. Carefully shoot 1 more shot if necessary to get your point of impact with in 1/2 inch of the lower dot( 5 inches @ 100 yrds) and you are ready to roll at 100 yrds. You will almost never use more than 4 cartridges to get there.

Your first shots at 100 will usually be very close horizontally and just a few inches low at vertically. You now have 16 cartridges out of your one box of ammo. Shoot three shots at 100 yards. Measure from the center of the group to where you want to be sighted in. Now you have at least 13 rounds left. Adjust if necessary. Shoot three more to confirm your zero. Don't get to OCD about it! You now have 10 rounds left which for the average hunter ( seriously folks) will get you through the hunting season with flying colors. Maybe two hunting seasons

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote