THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    More Baikal Double Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Baikal Double Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
The Baikal DRs don't seem to open the breech completely for loading/unloading. I have seen this alluded to in other threads and the comments made that the issue was fixed by a gunsmith.

My question becomes "What causes the problem in the first place?" Followed by "How do I fix it?"

Thanks.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's the cocking bars at the front of the frame; And combined is the fact that the mainsprings are super strong makes them hard to open and they don't open as far as you might want them to. I have replaced springs with Ruger Blackhawk springs; do a web search to see how. Do the springs first before you do anything to the cocking pieces. Look at an exploded diagram and you will see how it works. They are simple guns.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
DPCD, that sounds like an interesting modification. Do you have a link that you can share. Thanks, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Here is a site that gives information on springs to ensure full and easy opening:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TuneBaik.html

I first polished the spring holes as described, then put 28lb 1911 springs in, then carefully, AND marginally, filed the front cams until I had full opening. Remember to continually check how much you are taking off.
Also check the SASS forum on how they tune the Baikal double shotguns. Same basic action in how it works.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you were going to send a Baikal/Remington to a gunsmith for regulating in a more permanent way,(getting rid of the factory screw adjustment), the cocking lever change, etc., who would that be?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote