Find
Notify
Tools

One versus two . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have always taken two rifles with me on every safari. Sometimes it was based on the nature of the hunt (needed a scoped rifle and a double) but more often than not it was to have a "backup" rifle (so I would take two doubles or two scoped rifles). I have a hunt coming up where the only rifle I will need is a double. I am toying with the idea of simply taking one rifle and asking the PH to have a "spare" rifle in camp in the unlikely event a backup is needed.

Question:
How many rifles do you typically take on a hunting trip when your primary rifle is only rifle you will need (absent a mechanical or other issue with the primary rifle)?

Choices:
One
Two

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted one...but if DG is to be hunted I would bring a large caliber double and a .375H&H bolt rifle..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have always taken a .375H&H and something else. If hunting DG a heavy in a double or a bolt if hunting plains game a .375H&H and a lighter rifle like a .30-06 or something in that class.

In 2008 I had a double (as in two rifles) rifle failure of epic proportions. The day before I was to leave for Zim my .470 snapped a main action spring rendering the right barrel useless. Not even the mighty Butch Searcy could have it fixed in time for my 08:00 departure the next morning.

So I ran home and grabbed a .458 Lott bolt gun built on a custom MRC action. I had 50 or so rounds loaded up. I verified zero with both solids and softs. I jumped through my butt and got all the paperwork straightened out for the new serial number including a mad dash to the customs office. I packed my .458 Lott and my good old spare .375H&H and headed for the Dande North.

Upon arrival I went to the range to verify zero. The first shot smacked the center of the orange bull at 50 yard. The second shot failed to fire. As did all of the subsequent shots attempted except for one. The rifle had gone gunny sacks somehow on the trip over, dead, non functional, cargo only!

Fortunately my .375H&H worked like a charm and I conducted the hunt with it. I will never leave the country without at least two rifles capable of hunting the biggest thing I am after ever...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two.

For all of the reasons stated above, plus, if you take only one and rely on the PH for a backup rifle, he may not have one, and if he does, it may not fit you. Could you still use it? Probably. Would it be satisfactory? Maybe. But I don't rely on 'maybes' when I'm hunting dangerous game nor spending that much money on adventure.

Besides, for me, hunting with someone else's rifle is like kissing your sister. I spend way too much time & money on obtaining the perfect rifle for me, my taste, my pleasure & enjoyment. It is simply not the same using someone else's rifle.

Of course, if all of my rifles on safari went belly up, I would be grateful for any loaned rifle. I wouldn't be happy, but I'd be grateful.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've thought on this topic some more.

I've many times read that for a lot of us, half of the fun of safari is the planning, dreaming and preparing. That certainly applies to me.

I have never dreamed of hunting on safari with someone else's rifle.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a hunt coming up where the only rifle I will need is a double

Mike, this is interesting! I have only been to Africa once, and that for plains game. The DG hunt hasn't happened yet, and, realistically, won't. But, I am still interested. In looking at elephant hunts, it seemed that there was no guarantee of a close shot, and plenty of Saeed's buff shots have been at longer ranges than I would be comfortable with using a double, so, why not a bolt action 416 Rigby, or a 500/416 double? (I have one for sale!!!). Having said that, I do like the idea of a 375H&H bolt action, not as a spare to be left in camp, but carried by a tracker in case of a longer shot.
As I said, not an expert!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am a novice in Africa hunts, but I voted for 2. This goes especially for DG hunts. The reason is due to the following happenings during my first proper safari in Zimbabwe a month ago:

1. I took a fall when walking down a small gravel slope and my rifle 375 HH Blaser fell to ground. The rifle stock got some really scratches - but not the riflescope. Did not test shoot it and every thing worked fine, but it might not be the story after all if the scope took the fall.

2. The rifle my son used changed bulletimpact after the travel. Were able to adjust it during testshooting, but this could also not be the story another time.

As this was my first proper safari I already leraned that things happen and I was not familiar with the 500 Jeffrey carried by the PH.

Conclusion: bring 2 rifles !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If DG is on the menu I say two. One will be my 375 H&H and then my heavy. I will always want MY rifles when hunting DG, I know them and trust them and shoot them well. If non DG hunt then I have taken one ( 375 ) but probably wont do that again, you never know what the PH's spare will be or if it is in good order. My feeling is a lot goes into the safari and why chance failure of any sort.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have always taken 2 to Africa, but I did 2 safaris using only my .416, an edit was nice just grabbing the one gun, period. If it were a double hunt, I would only take one for sheer convenience. I took one double to Australia last year, and after being accustomed to toting around a heavy, bug case with 2 guns in it for years, it was a nice change to only mess with the bulk and weight of just 1. You know Buzz will have a good backup if something unlikely does happen to your double and iron sights. It isn't like you need your precision mountain rifle with a custom 2 pound trigger, long range loads and the 20x scope you are accustomed to to make a 500 yard shot.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Seems like most folks take/have taken two rifles for the same reasons I have in the past, (i) have a backup if something goes wrong with the primary rifle, and/or (ii) have the flexibility to use either a scoped or non-scoped rifle. I have to say though the allure of using my small single take-down Kalispel case is awfully appealing compared to the big double rifle Kalispel case. One less soft case to pack as well. And while it would be not be my first choice to have to use someone else's rifle for back up, at least from my perspective, it would not be the end of the world.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Morten

Morten, should I call Ken and have him order you up another Verney Carron? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being the minimalist I am, have taken one rifle on 3 African hunts, most of the time it was one double rifle either for plains game or DG. Would notify PH of need for back up rifle just in case.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I started off just taking a 9.3x62 but now just about always take a big bore along with a 9.3.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I took two rifles on my first plains game hunt in Namibia but on the other hunts I just brought my 375 H&H.

The bad thing is because I'm left handed, no one will have a back up rifle in camp for me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I took two to Africa (double and bolt) and take two on all bear hunts - same reasoning.

Mike, I seen no big downside to doing what you're considering - if you have confidence in your PH.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
. . . if you have confidence in your PH.

Definitely the weak link in my plan . . . Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Take two that you are familiar with. BOOM

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Morten

Morten, should I call Ken and have him order you up another Verney Carron? :-)

Big Grin

Jon,

should'nt be necessary as I have good contact with chief gunsmith Jerome my self and have become friends with French, German and Norwegian Customs Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of wisdom in the recommendations of taking your double and a scoped/bolt 375. Things happen and unseen opportunities arise, BE PREPARED! Big Grin

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm voting for one. For a PG only hunt, I believe one is sufficient unless you want to shoot different calibers for different game. The last PG hunt we went on, none of us took a rifle at all, as we knew exactly what was available in the gun safe at the lodge. I have even had my PH ask me to shoot a surpressed rifle around non-hunters and eco-tourists so as to not disturb them (but still shoot the desired trophies). Smiler

On our DG hunt to Zim, my partner and I took 3 suitable rifles (375 H&H, 416, and 450/400) in order to have a tested reliable backup if needed.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Always took one my .375 Hoffman Arms until 2012 and the Andrew hunt. I took along a 450 NE just in case an elephant became available or a Buffalo or Lion needed followed up. It got used on the Lion follow-up but by Andrew.

Both rifles will go with me in 2015 to Zim and Moz.

Joyce will likely only take her 7 x 57.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am coming around to taking two like I have in the past, although I may just take two .500 NE's, one old English and one modern. That would at least lighten my ammo load.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's my plan, Mike. Just want to take game with both the .500 and the 450-400. Will be taking my .375 as well for croc.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
. . . if you have confidence in your PH.

Definitely the weak link in my plan . . . Big Grin

I almost used this: Wink

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Remember South Africas law about two rifles of same caliber if going there.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. My last four or five trips have been on Emirates through Dubai. I will check, but I do not think UAE has a similar restriction.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Remember South Africas law about two rifles of same caliber if going there.

I thought I heard that this has been changed and it now okay to have two rifles of the same caliber in South Africa?

Not sure does anybody have the official word on this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to take 2 always . Nowadays i find travelling with rifles a mission so the less the better. Now only take 1 even for local hunting. As a south african having a rifle stolen can have serious criminal consequences for the owner and i always worry about the second rifle if its not physically in my possession. But it means agonizing for weeks before the hunt about which one to take... to the point of driving my whole family and anyone else who will listen ,crazy. I will also change my mind multiple times in this process and then sometimes, for a local trip i will simply be unable to decide and then just throw the whole lot in the bakkie.....sigh. Also used to take max ammo until it dawned on me that only shoot about 5 rounds max on an ele or buff hunt so these days take a lot less ammo too.

Posts: 39 | Location: south africa | Registered: 02 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will never leave the country without at least two rifles capable of hunting the biggest thing I am after ever...

Surestrike said it all.

He advocates a 375H&H as the second rifle as do several others. I concur.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Had the Boswell and Heym at the range today. Have a number of boxes of Hornady DGS ammo so I tried that in both rifles. Both shot great groups with the Hornady ammo. I am sure I will change my mind three times between now and cut bait time, but right now I think I will take the Heym and the Boswell along with 40 solids (DGS) and 10 softs (DGX). Might have to look into one of those Americase takedown cases like Todd Williams had built a year or so ago. The Boswell was built in 1909 and went to India. Not sure if it ever made it to Africa, but if it did not, it needs to.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

What load is the Boswell regulated for? I have some of the 3" Hornady loads I would like to try in my 3 1/4", it is tropical load proofed but I have heard the Hornady is not too high velocity, is that correct?

I generally use H4350 in the 500 3 1/4" but am keen to try the factory rounds in case of necessity.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Boswell (which is a 3 1/4" rifle) is regulated for (more accurately proofed for) 80 grains of Cordite/570 grain bullet. I generally shoot the .500's and the .577 at 25 yards since that is where they are likely to get used in the field. The Boswell shot five right barrel shots into one ragged hole in the bullseye, three left barrel shots into a group about one inch to the left, one shot near the right barrel group and one flyer that about two inches high that was me not paying attention. Plenty good for using in the field for sure. I did not chrono, but in the past my experience with Hornady nitro loads is that they are closer to 2050-2100 than 2150.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I meant "proofed"!

I guess in the 3 1/4" chamber they are closer to 2000fps. Must try them at Christmas time, hopefully.

Happy Thanksgiving.

CHris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If I get out with the chrono before then, I will be sure and post the velocity readings I get. I should mention that, much to my chagrin, the Boswell has 24" barrels. It would be so much sweeter with 26" barrels. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines....can you please post pics of your .500 Boswell, I would love to see it...a real classic.. tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
An old warrior . . .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, if one of the rifles you bring is a double, make sure to bring a 2nd rifle you can actually hit something with beyond 50 yards :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Why? Then you have to pay the trophy fee. Cool Distance has never discouraged me from throwing lead regardless of the rifle.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
50 yrds is for guys who do not shoot their DR's much Big Grin
That is why they need a Blaasser with a scope flame

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
50 yrds is for guys who do not shoot their DR's much Big Grin

I seem to remember you needing my Dakota African :-)